Holy Light vs Tabula Mundi Colores Arcus

delinfrey

I am planning to get a more hermetical-alchemical deck for winter, to study it alongside the Hermetic and my Thoth.

I have been thinking about the Holy Light (Tarot of the Holy Light), but now the Colores Arcus has caught my eye. They are both study-heavy, magical decks; how would you guys compare them? Which one would you prefer?

Aeric

That depends what kind of Tarot lesson you want to get out of them. Each is grounded in a different context for the 21st century.

Holy Light is the pre-Golden Dawn Tarot work of Etteilla with all of his correspondences. It's the only modern Etteilla deck in existence. Tabula Mundi is a Thoth-inspired deck.

Tabula's entirely different art might give you a new venue to explore Thoth. Of all the neo-Thoth decks I find it the most attractive, and brilliantly drawn for including identical shapes and patterns in related cards. But if you are already studying Thoth, Tabula might be redundant. But it's also very new and popular at this time, so it will receive a lot more attention that may influence you.

If you get Holy Light, then you have a trio of the non-Waite structured occult decks: Etteilla, Hermetic's Golden Dawn structure, and Thoth.

Nemia

I had the Holy Light and was very excited about it. I knew most of the illustrations from the big book of alchemical art by Roob (that I bought many many years ago). The deck is very beautiful with its strong colours and crazy collages. But I COULD NOT READ WITH IT.

I said, okay, I'll wait for the book. And I waited for the book.

It took some time until the book came out and I started to read it. And I don't know what happened - the author's style grated horribly on me. She has such an apodictic style (is there such a word in English?), she is so sure that what she says is The Truth and everything else is Wrong and Faux - I couldn't bear it.

Maybe I'm simply spoilt by reading too much academic literature or books like Greer or Wen or Place or Huson... and many other authors who allow for an open minded approach. You don't have to follow them completely and blindly. They give you the facts and let you think.

I didn't like author's style of drawing conclusions, I'm sorry I don't even remember what it was about - but all of a sudden, my Holy Light mojo left without a trace.

I had the feeling that behind the whole facade of important mystical things and secrets that CPT promised to reveal, there was nothing but an interesting personal idea and an elaborate conspiracy theory. I was very willing to be convinced by her but it didn't happen. And then I had no joy any more with the deck.

Even the deck interview I did seemed to laugh about my efforts.

So I swapped it away (and I'm not one to let go of decks easily, I'm a Taurus and Dragon and sit on my hoard with bared teeth).

And I'm not sorry.

BUT the deck is a beauty, and if you're more willing to follow the author and don't jump to conclusions unfairly the way I did (and I did: I didn't even read the book any further after I was annoyed for the 3rd time) but really try to comprehend what she was trying to do, you may enjoy it very very much.

So if you want an interesting deck with some strange theories behind it, go for it.

Now the Tabula mundi - I don't have it YET (it's on its way to me), now if you ask me, that's a totally different league. First of all, it's not a collage of existing artwork taken from context and used to illustrate a theory - sorry to say it so harshly - it's a real work of art done by an artist who has climbed into the coronary veins of the Thoth, Thelema and esoteric teachings, done no damage there and come back to tell an exciting story.

I have seen the black and white version with my own eyes and was blown away (Zephyros has one - probably the only one in Israel), and when I see the work the artist is doing on each card, my heart beats faster.

There is a beauty and harmony and depth to it - just look at it and the synapses start firing, but not in bewilderment and huge effort to understand like with the HL, but in gratefulness and awe for giving us a picture book of the universe and this universe moves and lives.

No, there is no comparison. But the Holy Light digs into alchemy and the Tabula Mundi into Thoth and Thelema, so they're really different worlds. I just feel the TM digs so much deeper - which may be totally unfair.

Now if you want to dig into the alchemical aspects of the tarot, I think you should look at Robert Place's Alchemical. I have his book and it's scholarly, coherent and interesting. He relies on much of the same Renaissance and Baroque imagery collected by Roob in his book, but he doesn't make collages but takes them as inspiration for cards painted in his cool, understated, neo-Classical, precise style - which makes for much more visual unity than the HL.

I don't have the HL any more but I do have the Alchemical and I'm very happy with it although I didn't start studying it in depth yet (too many other things on my tarot table). But it's structured in a way that makes it easy to read even if you don't know the Ins and Outs of Alchemy - and the Holy Light didn't let me read it.

This is my biased, unfair and probably silly opinion :) I know many people love their Holy Light and get good readings from it and even follow the author's theories without wishing to get up and say: now listen, that's not a valid conclusion...

:-D

ETA: I knew I'm an idiot, Aeric said it so much better and I didn't even mention Etteilla!

delinfrey

Thank you for an in-depth overview.

I am giving myself the Hidden Waters as a Samhain gift, and have room for 1 more deck in November. I was going strong on the Holy Light, but now am leaning more towards the Tabula Mundi.
I guess the Holy Light won't be sold out so fast, I can wait another month until ordering it in December.

Barleywine

I've been wanting the Holy Light for a long time exactly because its focus pre-dates the Golden Dawn era, and I don't have any Etteilla-based decks (does Paul Huson's Dame Fortune's Wheel qualify?). But I've also read that the creator/author has strongly-divergent views that don't sit well with many knowledgeable tarot scholars and practitioners. Since I've backed way off buying "art" decks that I won't use, I think I'm going to stay on the fence.

On the other hand, the fully-colored Tabula Mundi is an artistic marvel of Thoth-iness.

Aeric

Dame Fortune's Wheel blends Etteilla meaning and imagery with Marseille imagery. Holy Light is exclusively Etteilla as she tried to locate engravings that expressed Etteilla's interpretations for every card independent of previous Tarot card images.

Myrrha

I had the Holy Light and was very excited about it. I knew most of the illustrations from the big book of alchemical art by Roob (that I bought many many years ago). The deck is very beautiful with its strong colours and crazy collages. But I COULD NOT READ WITH IT.

I said, okay, I'll wait for the book. And I waited for the book.

It took some time until the book came out and I started to read it. And I don't know what happened - the author's style grated horribly on me. She has such an apodictic style (is there such a word in English?), she is so sure that what she says is The Truth and everything else is Wrong and Faux - I couldn't bear it.

Maybe I'm simply spoilt by reading too much academic literature or books like Greer or Wen or Place or Huson... and many other authors who allow for an open minded approach. You don't have to follow them completely and blindly. They give you the facts and let you think.

I didn't like author's style of drawing conclusions, I'm sorry I don't even remember what it was about - but all of a sudden, my Holy Light mojo left without a trace.

I had the feeling that behind the whole facade of important mystical things and secrets that CPT promised to reveal, there was nothing but an interesting personal idea and an elaborate conspiracy theory. I was very willing to be convinced by her but it didn't happen. And then I had no joy any more with the deck.

Even the deck interview I did seemed to laugh about my efforts.

So I swapped it away (and I'm not one to let go of decks easily, I'm a Taurus and Dragon and sit on my hoard with bared teeth).

And I'm not sorry.

BUT the deck is a beauty, and if you're more willing to follow the author and don't jump to conclusions unfairly the way I did (and I did: I didn't even read the book any further after I was annoyed for the 3rd time) but really try to comprehend what she was trying to do, you may enjoy it very very much.

So if you want an interesting deck with some strange theories behind it, go for it.

Now the Tabula mundi - I don't have it YET (it's on its way to me), now if you ask me, that's a totally different league. First of all, it's not a collage of existing artwork taken from context and used to illustrate a theory - sorry to say it so harshly - it's a real work of art done by an artist who has climbed into the coronary veins of the Thoth, Thelema and esoteric teachings, done no damage there and come back to tell an exciting story.

I have seen the black and white version with my own eyes and was blown away (Zephyros has one - probably the only one in Israel), and when I see the work the artist is doing on each card, my heart beats faster.

There is a beauty and harmony and depth to it - just look at it and the synapses start firing, but not in bewilderment and huge effort to understand like with the HL, but in gratefulness and awe for giving us a picture book of the universe and this universe moves and lives.

No, there is no comparison. But the Holy Light digs into alchemy and the Tabula Mundi into Thoth and Thelema, so they're really different worlds. I just feel the TM digs so much deeper - which may be totally unfair.

Now if you want to dig into the alchemical aspects of the tarot, I think you should look at Robert Place's Alchemical. I have his book and it's scholarly, coherent and interesting. He relies on much of the same Renaissance and Baroque imagery collected by Roob in his book, but he doesn't make collages but takes them as inspiration for cards painted in his cool, understated, neo-Classical, precise style - which makes for much more visual unity than the HL.

I don't have the HL any more but I do have the Alchemical and I'm very happy with it although I didn't start studying it in depth yet (too many other things on my tarot table). But it's structured in a way that makes it easy to read even if you don't know the Ins and Outs of Alchemy - and the Holy Light didn't let me read it.

This is my biased, unfair and probably silly opinion :) I know many people love their Holy Light and get good readings from it and even follow the author's theories without wishing to get up and say: now listen, that's not a valid conclusion...

:-D

ETA: I knew I'm an idiot, Aeric said it so much better and I didn't even mention Etteilla!

Wonderful post, thank you!

I am going to need to try out the Holy Light at some point in spite of the author's style. I agree with you that it isn't cohesive visually and I have a feeling it will be hard to learn to read with. I am not sure there is any "truth" to discover in terms of these mystical systems so the author's style could be irritating but still... I am so *curious* about the deck and the imagery. It is very intriguing visually.

delinfrey

Myrrha, that's exactly how I feel like.
I will probably order the Tabula Mundi as my November deck and then Holy Light in December - seems to be fitting to work with it over winter months.

Nemia

Sorry I talked so much. I noticed that I'm still receptive for the Holy Light's charms :)

And I didn't give it enough of a chance. Well well...