How to remove sticker residue from books?

conversus

Gregory:

On a CD case, I'd probably use rubbing alcohol, or the denatured kind. I'd apply it a bit like you would with with the Vapo-rub. Just dab a bit on, wait a bit, and gently rub the gunk off. May require more than one application, not many. Try not to do this on paper products that have not been laminated. . .

CED

gregory

Alcohol didn't work.... :( I tried that. Also WD40 and I didn't wait to find out cos the smell was too much !

Never mind - I shall stick with the Vicks, as being always available and usually on a table near me !!! - just - if that stuff worked on everything I might invest ! I do have some Sticky Stuff Remover (the UK version of Goo Gone, I assume) but I can never find it when the occasion requires it !

starrystarrynight

There is another product that works better than Goo Gone for me that's called Oops! Might be just in the USA, though...but for removing label residue (as well as dried latex paint where you've spilled or over-painted it), it's the best.

gregory

DRIED LATEX ????? Does it work on CLOTHING ?

(do you begin to see a pattern here? gregory is MESSY......)

Ambrosia

I agree with the tea tree, eucalyptus and orange oil suggestions.
Any essential oil will work as long as its not a thick sticky one.
Lavender, pine, lemon etc plus all of the above. Make sure they are pure EO's though and not fragrance oils, and not diluted in a carrier, as I can't vouch for the efficiency of gunk removal for those.
EO's are awesome for EVERYTHING!

starrystarrynight

gregory said:
DRIED LATEX ????? Does it work on CLOTHING ?

(do you begin to see a pattern here? gregory is MESSY......)
Haven't tried it on clothing, but it worked well on "over-paint" on the kitchen cabinets on the apartment I moved into. I don't know how long the paint was on there, but there was certainly a very sloppy paint crew at one time or another in this place.

Libra8ca

Ambrosia said:
I agree with the tea tree, eucalyptus and orange oil suggestions.
Any essential oil will work as long as its not a thick sticky one.
Lavender, pine, lemon etc plus all of the above. Make sure they are pure EO's though and not fragrance oils, and not diluted in a carrier, as I can't vouch for the efficiency of gunk removal for those.
EO's are awesome for EVERYTHING!

I wouldn't try any of these on paper / clothing or plastic (I can attest to the fact that tree tea oil dissolves (some) plastics :( ) -The same also applies to acetone (nail polish remover). I have found that vegetable oil (olive or whatever is in your fridge) works great on plastics / metal but you obviously have to be able to wash the item afterwards with soap.

gregory

Acetone was it ! THAT was what did for the CD cover ! Thanks for the reminder. But Vicks is great on plastic. Just slow.

Ambrosia

Libra8ca said:
I wouldn't try any of these on paper / clothing or plastic (I can attest to the fact that tree tea oil dissolves (some) plastics :( ) -The same also applies to acetone (nail polish remover). I have found that vegetable oil (olive or whatever is in your fridge) works great on plastics / metal but you obviously have to be able to wash the item afterwards with soap.
Seems to work fine as long as it isn't left on too long. just rub a drop into the sticky stuff and wipe off. I have never had a problem but you are right, a spot check somewhere out of sight is probably a good thing. :)

sistermoon

There's a product called "Undo"--one bottle will last you *ages* and it leaves things clean as a whistle! (By the by, if the "remainder marks", the black pen/marker marks on the bottom of the books hasn't bled very deep into the paper, you can sometimes *gently* sand these off with very fine grit sandpaper. It doesn't make them "new" books, but it can improve the image of a fine collection :) )

p.s. 1/2 $ is having their big Spring sale at the end of this month. If you've signed up with your email, you can check your email for the big 40% off coupon and more.