I am Going to Design my Own Deck - Need Your Advice

starrystarrynight

Your work is stunning!

If you really want advice, though, I would suggest that since you have admittedly "just gotten into tarot", I would advise you to spend the time and effort to use cards for awhile before spending the massive amounts of time creating a deck requires. Unless you have a depth of feeling about what cards do and can mean to you, you will likely miss a lot of symbolism that would make your deck richer and more meaningful to those who may want to read with it someday.

gregory

?

Where did he say that ?

But if that is true - that is a good point.

starrystarrynight

In his profile...

Card_Carrying_Man

Hi StarryStarry and thanks for the compliment. I have been into the tarot for a few years now and very seriously for about a year now.

I am a novice at designing them, not at using them. Although to be honest some of the card interpretations I do have difficulty with the contradictions. But it's not a problematic issue for me.

canid

Card_Carrying_Man said:
Wow! What a lovely bunch of people on here. When I first had the idea to put this on the board I was a bit aprehensive. But thanks to your kind words, encouragement and help I am really looking forward to this now.

Yeah, there are wonderful people here, but if we didn't like it you would have gotten zilch responses. })

It is a very good idea, what StarryStarryNight said, about learning at least the rudiments of the cards first. There are many subtleties that could be ignored, seeming inconsequential, tiny details, something upside-down or right-side up, etc. that are historically important.

thorhammer

I love the texture and luminous quality of your work, CCMan :) I hope that you can capture that kind of light in your watercolours as well.

Sidhe-Ra, if it helps, I thought of you instantly :) and greggers, well, she's, you know, odd, and her brain is, well, you know . . . odd . . . but we all love her anyway!

There's also Joanna Powell Colbert (joannagaian, I believe), and Kay Stopforth (Leo62) of the Quantum Tarot.

Julia Cuccia-Watts is juliacucciawatts on here, I think.

And jackdaw*, though I've never seen her deck, and Lillie with her Beardsley Tarot and the Frog Tarot :heart: and LadyDraagonstorm with the Wannabe Tarot and that hexagonal deck and I think I'm forgetting one, and Major Tom of the Major Tom's Tarot of Marseille.

Lisa Hunt is also on here (LisaHuntArt) and the creators of the Pearls of Wisdom deck (Hexi and I forget the other lady's name :() and Ash Abdullah (sacredashes) with her incredible Diary of a Broken Soul deck.

Stephan Lang (Langustl) created the Langustl tarot, which is similar in technique if not style to your acrylic work.

Dana Driscoll (adriayna) of the Tree Tarot, lovely watercolours :)

Marie (FearfulSymmetry) who is in the process of creating the wonderful Mary-El Tarot is here too.

And one last mention, sorry to anyone I've forgotten - Debra Givin (catdoc) of the gorgeous Cat's Eye Tarot.

Shutting up now :D

\m/ Kat

starrystarrynight

Again, I find your work just beautiful. What do the buildings in the background represent/signify in this card?

Card_Carrying_Man

A castle/keep appears in several traditional version of the card so I stuck with that. That castle in this card is a real place. It is the Rock of Castle here in Ireland and was once the residence of the High Kings of Munster. The place is filled with incredible energy so why not include it.

here is the real place:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1394/530547990_a0cdc3065a_b.jpg