I Ching theories - studying the foundation of the I Ching

JSNYC

I have been studying the I Ching and I would really like to study with those whom have with more experience and knowledge. However, I don't even know where to begin. There doesn't appear to be a great deal of interest, and most study is focused on the "definitions" of the hexagrams, but in my limited study, I believe the nature of the trigrams and hexagrams is much more important.

I am going away in a couple days, so I won't be able to continue this discussion in the short-term. But I thought I would start this thread to gauge the level of interest, and if so, what everyone is interested in (studying). First, I should probably define what I mean about the nature of the I Ching? So I will propose some basic, structural theories about the I Ching for discussion.

At the core of the I Ching is the two primal powers, the light and the dark. (Please do not confuse these terms with good and bad in any way!) These principles are manifest in The Creative and The Receptive, hexagrams 1 and 2 respectively. This concept is also expressed in the yin and yang. (And please do not confuse yin and yang with balance!) Yin and yang are the primal powers of dark (yin) or the yielding, and light (yang) or the firm. This concept is fundamental to the I Ching and important to begin to understand the I Ching. In the I Ching the light is represented by a solid, yang line (------), and the dark is represented by the broken, yin line (-- --).

The next important concept is the trinity, the tao of heaven, the tao of earth, and the tao of man. The tao of heaven is the content, the yang. The tao earth is the object (of change), the yin. The tao of man is the subject (of change). The tao of heaven is yang, it is the firm, light principle, The Creative. The tao of earth is yin, it is the yielding, dark principle, The Receptive. The tao of man sets the yin and yang in motion and is the force of change. These concepts are represented in the trigram. The bottom line (the I Ching always starts from the bottom) is the tao of earth, the middle line is the tao of man, and the top line is the tao of heaven.

Finally, the I Ching oracle is expressed by the 4 modes of expresssion. From Wilhelm's translation of the I Ching:

The first section refers to the Book of Changes as a whole and to the fundamental principals underlying it. The original purpose of the hexagrams was to consult destiny. As divine beings do not give direct expression to their knowledge, a means had to be found by which they could make themselves intelligible. Suprahuman intelligence has from the beginning made use of three mediums of expression--men, animals, and plants, in each of which life pulsates in a different rhythm. Chance came to be utilized as a fourth medium; the very absence of an immediate meaning in chance permitted a deeper meaning to come to expression in it. The oracle was the outcome of this use of chance. The Book of Changes is founded on the plant oracle as manipulated by men with mediumistic powers.
So the 4 mediums of expression are men, animals, plants, and chance. And I will take this one step further and express my view of these modes of expression within the context of the two primal powers.

The 4 mediums of expression can be segregated into 2 groups, the dark and the light. The first group is animals and plants, these are the powers of nature, The Receptive. The second group is men and chance, these are the powers of human nature, The Creative. Human nature and nature are the tao of heaven and the tao of earth. When men consult the oracle that is the tao of man.

These concepts are also represented in the hexagram. The first two lines are the tao of earth, the middle two lines are the tao of man, and the top two lines are the tao of heaven.

2. In ancient times the holy sages made the Book of Changes thus:

Their purpose was to follow the order of their nature and of fate. Therefore they determined the tao of heaven and called it the dark and the light. They determined the tao of the earth and called it the yielding and the firm. They determined the tao of man and called it love* and rectitude. They combined these three fundamental powers and doubled them; therefore in the Book of Changes a sign is always formed by six lines.

The places are divided into the dark and the light. The yielding and the firm occupy these by turns. Therefore the Book of Changes has six places, which constitute the linear figures.

*feeling
I will mention one final thing; I believe the primal arraignment and the inner-world arraignment to be very important, the interpretation of which has never been given, or at least I have not seen it.

Is anyone interested in pursuing this line of study? Are these concepts mundane? Or better yet, does anyone have anything to add, agree or disagree? Or what area of study most interests you about the I Ching?

JSNYC

Thank you for your post. I don't think anyone has to know anything (more than the basics) about the I Ching to comment. As a matter of fact I believe that is preferable. I will present a few exerpts from Wilhelm's translation of the I Ching that are relevant to your link.

3. The Changes illumine the past and interpret the future. They disclose that which is hidden and open that which is dark. They distinguish things by means of suitable names. Then, when the right words and decisive judgments are added, everything is complete.
1. The Book of Changes contains a fourfold tao of the holy sages. In speaking, we should be guided by its judgments; in action, we should be guided by its changes; in making objects, we should be guided by its images; in seeking an oracle, we should be guided by its pronouncements.

2. Therefore the superior man, whenever he has to make or do something, consults the Changes, and he does so in words. It takes up his communications like an echo; neither far nor near, neither dark nor deep exist for it, and thus he learns of the things of the future. If this book were not the most spiritual thing on earth, how could it do this?

Richard Wilhelm's commentary:

Here the psychological basis of the oracle is described. The person consulting the oracle formulates his problem precisely in words and regardless of whether it concerns something distant or near, secret or profound, he receives--as though it were and echo--the appropriate oracle, which enables him to know the future. This rests on the assumption that the conscious and the supraconscious enter into relationship. The conscious process stops with the formulation of the question. The unconscious process begins with the division of the yarrow stalks, and when we compare the result of this division with the text of the book, we obtain the oracle.
1. Events follow definite trends, each according to its nature. Things are distinguished from one another in definite classes. In this way good fortune and misfortune come about. In the heavens phenomena take form; on earth shapes take form. In this way change and transformation become manifest.

Richard Wilhelm's commentary:

Another law is to be noted. Owing to changes of the sun, moon, and stars, phenomena take form in the heavens. These phenomena obey definite laws. Bound up with them, shapes come into being on earth, in accordance with identical laws. Therefore the processes on earth--blossom and fruit, growth and decay--can be calculated if we know the laws of time. If we know the laws of change, we can precalculate in regard to it, and freedom of action thereupon becomes possible. Changes are the imperceptible tendencies to divergence that, when they have reached a certain point, become visible and bring about transformations.

These are the immutable laws under which, according to Chinese thought, changes are consummated. It is the purpose of the Book of Changes to demonstrate these laws by means of the laws of change operating in the respective hexagrams. Once we succeed in completely reproducing these laws, we acquire a comprehensive view of events; we can understand past and future equally well and bring this knowledge to bear in our actions.

JSNYC

Trigram tree

Tao Te Ching said:
The Tao begot one.
One begot two.
Two begot three.
And three begot the ten thousand things.

The ten thousand things carry yin and embrace yang.
They achieve harmony by combining these forces.
Attached is the trigram tree, from the one line to the trigrams. The trigrams are arraigned in the order of completeness (according to Wilhelm). I also labeled the trigrams with both names.

Attachments

• Trigram tree.bmp
    127.2 KB · Views: 202

JSNYC

Hexagram construction

I made a graphic of the basic hexagram construction. The important thing to remember about the construction of the hexagrams is that the structual components don't give the hexagrams meaning, the meaning may be simply expressed through the structual components.

Tao Te Ching said:
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth.
The named is the mother of ten thousand things.
Ever desireless, one can see the elusive mysteries.
Ever desiring, one can see the manifestations.
These two spring from the same source but differ in name;
     this appears as mystery.
Mystery within mystery.
The gate to all the elusive mysteries.

Attachments

• Hexagram construction.gif
    Hexagram construction.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 158

JSNYC

Hexagrams

Tao Te Ching said:
Thirty spokes share the wheel's hub;
It is the hollow center that makes it useful.
Shape clay into a vessel;
It is the space within that makes it useful.
Cut doors and windows for a room;
It is the holes which make it useful.
Therefore profit comes from what is there;
Usefulness from what is not there.

The ancient text, the Zhouyi, is the best source for learning the hexagrams. The text describes each hexagram and its meaning, as well as the "changing lines" or "moving yao" and their meaning. However, there are many translations and interpretations of this text and upon these varied translations are then built even more opinions, speculations, and theories. The typical advice given to learn the hexagrams, is to learn the hexagrams by reading, reflecting on, and utilizing The Book of Change. However, the language used in The Book of Change, even after being translated and commentaries added, is difficult to understand, to say the least. Thus any answers are quite unclear, probably as they were intended to be. So, a reliance on opinions, speculations, and theories is necessary to some extent, and these are also embedded in the all the varied translations as well making them impossible to avoid.

So my focus has been to find a basic, fundamental system with which to study and learn The hexagrams of The Book of Change. That has mostly been trying to determine what to ignore. So I will outline just a few of the many approaches to reading the hexagrams, a few of the most common.

The Upper and Lower Trigrams
In the "hexagram construction" graphic the upper/outer trigram and lower/inner trigram is shown under "Trigrams". The upper trigram represents the outer situation, what is visible, at the fore. The lower trigram represents the inner situation, what is underlying, what is behind. In another post bradford mentioned the upper trigram representing the number or pip of a minor arcana suit in the Tarot, and the lower trigram representing the suit. I think that is a very interesting way to look at the hexagrams, although I would be tempted to flip the assignment.
click here to view bradford's the post in the thread: I Ching reading

The Upper and Lower Nuclear Trigrams
In the "hexagram construction" graphic the upper/outer nuclear trigram and lower/inner nuclear trigram is shown under "Nuclear Trigrams". I believe these are useful for presenting the inner character of the situation. The inner and outer attributes described above apply similarly. To continue the Tarot assignments, I would view these similar to positions 7 and 8 of the Celtic Cross. (Note: I do not use the "nuclear hexagram".)
Click here to view the thread: Understanding the Celtic Cross

The Lines and the Essence
I think both of these elements are useful for defining the character or nature of the hexagram. However, there are many ways that these elements may be interpreted within a hexagram. Combined, I believe they essentially define the background upon which the change occurs. Change occurs at the bottom of the hexagram and moves upward, but that does not preclude regression. Yin and Yang are interspersed throughout the hexagram, but knowing which is correct is to know the essence of the hexagram.

The Inverse Hexagram
That is the hexagram upside-down, the bottom line becomes the top line. I treat all "related hexagrams" with skepticism, especially (mathematical) "hexagram mutations". However, this is how King Wen grouped the hexagrams into pairs within his sequence, so this related hexagram certainly bears some consideration. The definitions for what inverse hexagrams actually mean or indicate varies, and the reason King Wen chose the sequence he did, is still a big mystery, probably as it was supposed to be.

The Opposite Hexagram
This is the hexagram that is the "exact opposite", every yang line becomes a yin line, and every yin line becomes a yang line. King Wen began and ended his sequence with opposite pairs, although this fact may have just been coincidental.

The Reverse Hexagram
This is the hexagram with the upper and lower trigrams switched, the upper trigram becomes the lower trigram and vice versa. Considering the nature of what the trigrams mean within the hexagram, the outer and the inner "switching places" doesn't make much sense. Also, I believe the trigrams are built by the hexagram, not the other way around. So I don't use this related hexagram.

There are 4 pairs of hexagrams, 8 total hexagrams that are both an inverse pair and an opposite pair. Those hexagrams are (Wilhelm's titles, King Wen's sequence):

11. Peace
12. Standstill [Stagnation]

17. Following
18. Work on What has been Spoiled [Decay]

53. Development (Gradual Progress)
54. The Marrying Maiden

63. After Completion
64. Before Completion

So the next logical question would be; what is the meaning of the trigrams? I believe the Primal or Early-Heaven arrangement and the Inner-World or Later-Heaven arrangement, as well as the sequence of completion that Wilhelm mentions (constructed with the Primal arrangement) are primarily useful for understanding the trigrams, and for providing images with which to read the trigrams and hexagrams.

Here is a link to a general chart of the trigrams and some of their attributes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba_gua

Here is a link to Book II, The Discussion of the Trigrams, chapter II, of Richard Wilhelm's translation, which talks about the arrangements:
http://shapeless.org/chou_i/shou_kua.html#ch2

Here is a link talking about the different hexagram dimensions' relevance.
http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/archive/index.php/t-5017.html

JSNYC

Here is a link to a thread I just created about a divination method with just the trigrams:
Click here to view the thread: Seeking the Spirit of the Book of Change

Also, I will mention one thing about interpreting the opposite (or related?) hexagrams, although I don't know the extent of its relevance, the trigrams in the Primal arrangement are opposite pairs, and there are 4 different relationships (between pairs) represented in the Primal arrangement.

JSNYC

The real foundation of the Yijing

(Note: I corrected the list of inverse and opposite hexagrams in the previous post. I will also note: I created a thread about the trigram images primarily from Wilhelm's translation: Click here to view the thread: Yijing Trigrams and Trigram Arrangements )

The real foundation of the I Ching is the Zhouyi text. (The Chinese and pinyin text can be viewed here: http://www.biroco.com/yijing/zhouyi.htm) The Zhouyi is essentially like a very good book of Tarot card definitions. However, it is the only (complete) collection of definitions available. (Although there are others, such as the Mawangdui silk text: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mawangdui) Almost everything written about the Yijing is based mostly, if not entirely, on the Zhouyi text.

The Zhouyi text consists of one line of text on the hexagram, and one line of text for each of the lines of the hexagram, 7 lines total (with the exception of hexagrams 1 & 2, which have 8). Next there is the Primal arrangement attributed to Fû-hsî, which consists of the trigrams grouped into complementary opposites. Fû-hsî also ordered the hexagrams into a "natural sequence". Then Ken Wen wrote the judgements, and his son, the Duke of Chou, wrote the explanations for the lines. King Wen also arranged the hexagrams into the sequence in which they are most commonly ordered in Yijing translations today, the King Wen sequence. Finally, there are the 10 Wings. These are written by the "Confucian school" and thus it has been proposed, I believe correctly, that the interpretation of the Zhouyi text in the 10 Wings has a Confucian bias. The "facts" stated primarily came from the Wilhelm and Legge I Ching translations, as well as being corroborated in a few others.

Since I, along with most people, am not able to read and understand ancient Chinese, I must rely on translations and other people's analysis and commentary. It is a photocopy, of a photocopy, of a photocopy... Thus I believe the only way to really learn the Yijing is to get a basic system, one that works, and start using it, quite similar to learning Tarot cards. However, scenic images are much easier to read into than simple six line diagrams. So, even before learning the system, I must learn how to see the images in the hexagrams, which is what most of my previous posts were focused on. However, to learn the hexagrams, I am focusing more on the text as well as the hexagrams themselves, and trying to develop an effective system to approach learning them. I am not trying to learn the system presented in the Zhouyi text, because I believe that is impossible, even for someone who reads Chinese. And even if it could be learned, that is just one person's interpretation. It is said that Rulers used this book to govern, thus the "core system" of the Yijing must be more expansive than a single interpretation presented in one text. The text simply provides a guideline.

So my goal (with these posts) has not been to present anything especially new, but rather to try to segregate (and aggregate) what I believe is actually meaningful, from the mass of diverse and sometimes seemingly conflicting information. So I will finish this post with a list of what I think is the foundation of the Yijing and the Yijing hexagrams. These are just the initial conclusions of someone learning the Yijing that is just now beginning to study the hexagrams in depth. (I have been reading about them and using them, but never really "studied" them.) Creating this list and making it presentable to others, forces me to focus and organize my thoughts and approach.

Before presenting the list, however, I should briefly mention my foundation for studying the Yijing. I have been using the Yijing and have seen its value, especially as a complement to my Tarot reading. Additionally, I believe by studying the Yijing many things may be learned about the Tarot. At the very least, I have the impression of the Yijing as a puzzle cube, as I mentioned previously, like the puzzle cube in Clive Barker's Hellraiser movie. And just like that puzzle cube, the Yijing is a magical, intuitive puzzle. Thus, like all puzzles, it is a "mental exercise" meant to strengthen and expand the mind. However, being an intuitive puzzle, the Yijing strengthens and expands intuition.

I just explained the tao of man and earth, now heaven, or meaning. I believe the Tarot may (just my theory) be the next (modern) incarnation of the Yijing. Was the Yijing, Tarot 1.0? ;) It has been proposed that the hexagrams (the images) came first. If that is the case, that is a situation that is not difficult to imagine, that is where the Tarot is at today. That period was in the Yijing's ascendancy, the book we are now studying was written at the Yijing's height, or during its decline. If the two paths are related, it is not hard to imagine what the Yijing hexagrams were like and how they were read and interpreted before The Book of Change, as we now know it, was written. Thus I believe by learning the historical and intuitive path of the Yijing, insights may be gleaned about the path of the Tarot, and how to (more) effectively use it as well. At one point in the Yijing's history, Rulers of nations used the Yijing to govern. It appears they certainly found an effective use for it. ;) However, was that before or after the Yijing had a philosophy embedded in it? The Tarot doesn't have a philosophy embedded in it yet. (Or does it?) If the Tarot and the Yijing are tools, then their function is to express meaning, not contain it.

I will start the list with what I think are the most basic or fundamental aspects. Thus the first, most basic aspect is how the hexagram changes:

Multiple changing lines
Some systems for casting hexagrams only produce one changing line, and they always produce a changing line, never a "static" hexagram with no changing lines. I think the process of change is too dynamic to restrict it to one changing line. I currently use the 3 coins method, but would like to try some yarrow stalks. (The probabilities are slightly different. :D )

Trigram images
Upper/inner and lower/outer trigrams, as well as upper/inner and lower/outer nuclear trigrams. I believe producing images is important to using the hexagrams. Since I believe intuition to be a fundamental part of the Yijing, I also believe the images the trigrams present within the hexagrams to be a fundamental part of interpreting and expressing the meaning of a hexagram.

Concepts
These are really the fundamental concepts upon which I think the Yijing hexagrams (and the systems for reading them) are based, and thus are my focus of study:
1 - The foundation, background, or (a view of) the archetype of the hexagrams: the Zhouyi text.
2 - The Creative and The Receptive, Yin and Yang, duality.
3 - The trigrams, the tao of heaven, the tao of earth, and the tao of man, the trinity.
4 - The structure of the hexagrams representing Change or Yi, the process of Yi, and the innumerable results of Yi.

Zhi Gua and Fan Yao
The Zhi Gua and Fan Yao are contained within the first concept, above. Bradford Hatcher discusses these aspects in his translation of the Yijing, and also conveniently lists the Zhi Gua as well as the Fan Yao within the hexagram translation as well. As mentioned previously, The Zhouyi text has one line for the hexagram, and one line for each changing line. Since there is obviously much more information about the hexagram within the text on the lines, than on the hexagram itself, I believe that the Zhouyi indicates, and quite appropriately, that the way to learn the hexagrams in The Book of Change is by studying the changes. Richard Wilhelm and his son, Hellmut also suggest this approach. The Zhi Gua is the hexagram that the current hexagram would change into if the single line, referred to by the line text, changed. The Fan Yao is the reciprocal line text in the Zhi Gua. Although I think the Zhi Gua and Fan Yao to be important, I want to minimize that importance to some extent, because I think they give the impression of the hexagrams as a collection of "interlocking changes", which I do not believe is accurate.

Inverse and opposite hexagrams
King Wen grouped his sequence in inverse pairs so I believe that indicates their relevance, however, not the extent of their relevance. Additionally, he began and ended his sequence with opposite pairs. Within King Wen's sequence, the 8 hexagrams that double a trigram, are paired. Hexagrams 1 & 2, The Creative and The Receptive, as well as hexagrams 29 & 30, The Abysmal, Water and The Clinging, Fire, are opposite hexagrams, but not inverse hexagrams. They are symmetrical, so they are the inverse hexagrams of themselves. The other two pairs, hexagrams 51 & 52, The Arousing (Shock, Thunder) and Keeping Still, Mountain as well as hexagrams 57 & 58, The Gentle (The Penetrating, Wind) and The Joyous, Lake, are inverse hexagrams, but not opposite hexagrams. However, hexagrams 51 & 57 and hexagrams 52 & 58 are opposite hexagrams. This correlates with the Primal arrangement. (This also correlates with the tao of man within the Primal arrangement, in the link in a post above.)

Yijing patterns
I do think Yijing patterns and relationships are very important and useful. However, I also think that making it the focus of learning the Yijing is equally detrimental. Many people speculate about finding "the sequence", maybe they want to be the next King Wen. :D I think the only good use of that research is to prove the uselessness of that approach to the Yijing. ;) However, looking for patterns is certainly not useless; for example, Richard Wilhelm's inclusion of the "houses" in his translation could be quite interesting, although I don't know how useful it is.

The Change Operator
I think this is an interesting approach that is worth reading and could potentially be useful, although it is certainly not fundamental. The site in the link has a lot of research on boolean algebra, that information is not necessary to understand the change operator. Here is a link (click on Intro, at the top of the page, and then scroll down and click on The Symbolic Language of the Yijing): http://www.yijing.co.uk

The 5 elements
I think the concept of the 5 elements and their associated energies may be applicable to The Book of Change, the hexagrams, and the trigram images. However, I do not intend to use the elements as they are typically presented with their generating and destroying cycles. Even Richard Wilhelm said the label "elements" is incorrect, they should not be considered to be elements. I believe the 5 elements could be a valid aspect, although it is certainly not an essential one, at least not as they are now presented. Here is a link to a general overview of the 5 elements from different perspectives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing

The structure of the hexagram
And last, but certainly not least is the actual structure of the hexagram itself. The reason I put this last is that although the structure of the hexagram is quite fundamental, the metrics with which to express the structure are extremely varied and often quite subjective. There are varied line definitions, a hexagram may contain a "ruling line" or multiple "ruling lines", the lines may have "correspondence", or may "hold together", trigrams may rise and fall... Here is a link to Wilhelm's presentation of many of these ideas: http://shapeless.org/chou_i/structure_hex.html

It is useful to remember, just as in life, there is no set formula that will "work" in all situations and under all circumstances. I believe the structural dimensions become apparent as the nature of the hexagrams is understood. So I also tried to reduce this aspect to its basic, core, essential components. And since there is no set formula I will present them more as a list of concepts, which I think at least merit some consideration.

Change occurs from the bottom of hexagram to the top
I believe the relevant aspect of this structural component is that the bottom line of the hexagram often represents the beginning, or a time before the beginning of the hexagram situation, and the top line represents the end, or a time beyond the end of the hexagram situation, possibly letting things go too far, or taking things too far. This view is also reinforced by the positioning of the trigrams within the hexagram. All four trigrams are expressed using the 4 middle lines of the hexagram. The top line is only the top line of the upper trigram, and the bottom line is only the bottom line of the lower trigram.

Ruling lines
The ruling lines are simply the lines that are designated as best expressing the character of the hexagram overall. The "constituting ruler or rulers" of the hexagram simply express the overall character of the hexagram. The "governing ruler or rulers" not only express the overall character but are also the focus, or governing aspect of the hexagram.

Central
This refers to 2nd and 5th lines of the hexagram, the middle line or central line of the upper trigram, and the middle line or central line of the lower trigram. The term central means to be in the center, central, or at the core. The 5th line is often the "governing ruler", or among the "governing rulers" the hexagram as well.

Correspondence and holding together
I think it may be worthwhile to consider these aspects, although they are quite subjective and I do not think they are fundamental. The concepts are more useful than their implementation, although this could be said of all the structural aspects to some extent.

The Tao of Heaven, the Tao of Earth, and the Tao of Man
I believe these concepts should certainly be applied, but only conceptually within the other structural components.

I think that pretty much summarizes my approach to learning the Yijing, although quite broadly. Now I just need to actually start studying and learning the hexagrams.

JSNYC

This will be my last post of analysis in this thread. Anything more would be beyond the limits of what could be considered "fundamental", and I want to leave the thread open for any other theories or comments on that subject.

Tao Te Ching said:
The spirit of the valley does not die
It is known as the mysterious female, the primal mother
The gateway of the mysterious female
Has been called the origin of heaven and earth
     No beginning and no end, imperceptible to the senses yet permeating all
     To use it is simple, it requires no effort.
Note, a few lines were changed and amalgamated, and this site was particularly helpful:
http://www.wayist.org/ttc compared/index.htm

First, I would like to correct a mistake. In a few previous posts I called the hexagrams archetypes, that is not accurate, although they are certainly archetypical, they are not archetypes like the major arcana of the Tarot. A better designation would be archetypical changes, intervals, stages, periods, times, or situations.

I have associated the Yijing hexagrams with the dao of heaven, the dao of earth, and the dao of man. The hexagrams themselves are more closely linked to the dao of heaven. The dao of heaven is the time or the season, the formless archetypical pattern, or more appropriately, the dao of heaven is the source of the pattern and the hexagrams are an (archetypical) manifestation of the dao. The dao of earth is the tangible manifestation; the changes or changing lines are linked to the dao of earth. The dao is only really manifested through its changes, so the changes are the source of contemplating the dao. The dao of man is the interpretation; the images and judgments are linked to the dao of man. A quote from C. G. Jung, a quote I have used in previous posts, best illustrates the dao of man.

Life is crazy and meaningful at once. And when we do not laugh over the one aspect and speculate about the other, life is exceedingly drab, and everything is reduced to the littlest scale. There is then little sense and little nonsense either. When you come to think about it, nothing has any meaning, for when there was nobody to think, there was nobody to interpret what happened. Interpretations are only for those that don't understand; it is only the things we don't understand that have any meaning. Man woke up in a world he did not understand, and that is why he tries to interpret it.

C. G. Jung, The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious, CW 9 (1)
Click here to view the thread: Daoist philosophy of the Yijing, Yi and the Dao of Man

The key to understanding the Yijing is to understand the hexagrams. However, because the hexagrams are truly archetypical, they cannot be explicitly defined. Thus they can only be learned through study and contemplation, as well as through use (in divination).

This structure is illustrated in chapter III, On the Structure of the Hexagrams, in part 2 of section 2 in Wilhelm's translation:

1. Thus the Book of Changes consists of images. The images are reproductions.
2. The decisions provide the material.
3. The lines are imitations of movements on earth.
4. Thus do good fortune and misfortune arise, and remorse and humiliation appear.
This is further illustrated in chapter IV, The Deeper Implications of the Books of Changes, in part 1:

1. The Book of Changes contains the measure of heaven and earth; therefore it enables us to comprehend the tao of heaven and earth and its order.
2. Looking upward we contemplate with its help the signs in the heavens; looking down, we examine the lines of the earth. Thus we come to know the circumstances of the dark and the light. Going back to the beginnings of things and pursuing them to the end, we come to know the lessons of birth and death. The union of seed and power produces all things; the escape of the soul brings about change. Through this we come to know the conditions of outgoing and returning spirits.
I would like to mention the correlation to the yóu hún and gui hún.
Click here to view the thread: Yijing patterns

The function of the trigrams, images, and judgments is suggested in chapter XII, Summary, in part 2:

5. The eight trigrams point the way by means of their images; the words accompanying the lines, and the decisions, speak according to the circumstances. In that the firm and the yielding are interspersed, good fortune and misfortune can be discerned.
Thus the different methods used to express the meaning of the hexagrams is not as important as if the person expressing the meaning truly understands that meaning. There is a debate about whether the Yijing is a book for divination or if it is a book of wisdom. I think that debate is silly, the Yijing is a book of great wisdom, and thus because of that it can be applied quite effectively as a book for divination.

I want to end this post with a brief examination of Moving Yao, or changing lines. It is widely assumed that a "resulting hexagram" is produced and interpreted as the result of the changing lines, and that interpretation is generally assumed to be an indication of the coming situation or “change”. I will not dispute whether this is correct or not, I would only like to present an alternate and complementary interpretation.

My interpretation relies on equating the hexagrams to the Chinese language itself. I know the language through my Chinese friends; I do not actually know the language. Thus any comments or criticism from anyone with more knowledge would be welcome. The Chinese language is constructed of symbols. I will call them images. And “complex words” in the Chinese language are created by the combination of images. If the hexagram and the resulting hexagram were interpreted in this manner, then the two hexagrams would simply be combined to create an entire image. This interpretation would effectively change the 64 distinct images of the Yijing into 4,096 complex images, an alternate language, so to speak. In the same way that the Chinese language was created to describe the perceptible objects and events in the material world, the Yijing hexagrams were created to describe the imperceptible objects and events at work in the material world.

However, this interpretation of the hexagrams has a very distinct flaw, or at least there is a flaw in the assumption that this interpretation was the conscious goal of the sages that created the hexagrams and the changing lines. That flaw is that I have not seen any writings that explicitly use the hexagrams as a mode of communication. But there is also support for this interpretation in the Yijing itself. In the same way that 2 trigrams are combined to create the image of the hexagram, the images of the 2 hexagrams are combined to create the complete image.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_character

I will close this post with a list that I think is pertinent and has not been included in any previous posts. This is the list of symmetrical hexagrams. These hexagrams are the inverse hexagram of themselves. (Wilhelm’s hexagrams names.)

The primal forces of heaven (the mother and father)
1. Ch'ien / The Creative - the image of heaven
2. K'un / The Receptive - the image of earth

(The oldest and youngest sons)
27. I / Corners of the Mouth (Providing Nourishment)
28. Ta Kuo / Preponderance of the Great

The primal forces of earth (the middle son and daughter)
29. K'an / The Abysmal (Water) - the image of the moon
30. Li / The Clinging, Fire - the image of the sun

(The oldest and youngest daughters)
61. Chung Fu / Inner Truth
62. Hsiao Kuo / Preponderance of the Small

* The quotes from Wilhelm's translation can be viewed on this site: http://shapeless.org/chou_i/chou_i.html

JSNYC

crazy raven said:
My confusion is the lines. What does each line of a hexagram mean?

In my understanding, line 1 is the beginning and in most cases describes an inner stirring, a restlessness perhaps? A situation that need to move or evolve to the next level. A basis of where to start?

Could you explain the meaning of all the lines for me and others. I have heard that the lines 1-6, represent the chakras 1-6, as well as the meridians in Traditional Chinese Medicine. If this is true, this will definitely help as I am involved in alternative healing.
This is a difficult question to answer because the meanings of the lines are not static. Line interpretations serve as more of a... template for reading the hexagrams. And the meaning of a line can be different for different hexagrams within a template as well, which change based on the nature of the hexagram. (In John Lynn's translation, Wang Bi calls it the dao of the hexagram.) Even definitions such as the first line meaning the "beginning", are not universal. In most hexagrams the first line does mean the beginning of the "change", but not in all of them, it depends on the dao of the hexagram. The line meanings can be derived from the trigrams that constitue the hexagram as well. Just like how a Tarot reader decides whether they will use reversals or not and what type of spreads to use, a Yijing reader defines the template for the line meanings they will use, it becomes part of their reading style.

In Hatcher's translation of the Yijing he provides a list of some of the various meanings the lines can have:

The Time Of:
6: Outcome, Transcendence, Excesses, Retirement, Anticlimax, Denouement
5: Manifestation, Mastery, Control, Authority, Achievement, Finesse, Optima
4: Practice, Execution, Establishment, Advance with Purpose, Maneuvering
3: Immersion, Exposure, Risk, Thorny Details, Transition, Insecurity, Focus
2: Internal Development, Scoping, Grouping, Preparation, Small Advances
1: Entrance, Beginnings, Potential, Impressions, Explorations, Tentativeness

People and Positions:
6: Sage, Climber, Refugee, Retiree, Extremist, Diehard, Elder, Advisor
5: Sovereign, Authority, Executor, Leader, Husband, Father; Man at Work
4: Chief or Sovereign's Minister, Officer, Duke, Son, Empowered Delegate
3: Lower Official, Subordinate, Subject, Worker, Journeyman, Local Leader
2: Assistant, Subordinate, Servant, Mother Maiden, Woman in the Home
1: Newcomer, Apprentice, Innocent, Youth (Lines 1, 2 & 3); Common People

I am not aware of anyone who has developed a system (or "template") for reading the hexagrams using the Chakras, but that is certainly possible. However, I am not familiar enough with the Chakras to comment on whether a template for reading the hexagrams using them would work well.