I Ching theories - studying the foundation of the I Ching

crazy raven

JSNYC said:
This is a difficult question to answer because the meanings of the lines are not static. Line interpretations serve as more of a... template for reading the hexagrams. And the meaning of a line can be different for different hexagrams within a template as well, which change based on the nature of the hexagram. (In John Lynn's translation, Wang Bi calls it the dao of the hexagram.) Even definitions such as the first line meaning the "beginning", are not universal. In most hexagrams the first line does mean the beginning of the "change", but not in all of them, it depends on the dao of the hexagram. The line meanings can be derived from the trigrams that constitue the hexagram as well. Just like how a Tarot reader decides whether they will use reversals or not and what type of spreads to use, a Yijing reader defines the template for the line meanings they will use, it becomes part of their reading style.

In Hatcher's translation of the Yijing he provides a list of some of the various meanings the lines can have:

The Time Of:
6: Outcome, Transcendence, Excesses, Retirement, Anticlimax, Denouement
5: Manifestation, Mastery, Control, Authority, Achievement, Finesse, Optima
4: Practice, Execution, Establishment, Advance with Purpose, Maneuvering
3: Immersion, Exposure, Risk, Thorny Details, Transition, Insecurity, Focus
2: Internal Development, Scoping, Grouping, Preparation, Small Advances
1: Entrance, Beginnings, Potential, Impressions, Explorations, Tentativeness

People and Positions:
6: Sage, Climber, Refugee, Retiree, Extremist, Diehard, Elder, Advisor
5: Sovereign, Authority, Executor, Leader, Husband, Father; Man at Work
4: Chief or Sovereign's Minister, Officer, Duke, Son, Empowered Delegate
3: Lower Official, Subordinate, Subject, Worker, Journeyman, Local Leader
2: Assistant, Subordinate, Servant, Mother Maiden, Woman in the Home
1: Newcomer, Apprentice, Innocent, Youth (Lines 1, 2 & 3); Common People

I am not aware of anyone who has developed a system (or "template") for reading the hexagrams using the Chakras, but that is certainly possible. However, I am not familiar enough with the Chakras to comment on whether a template for reading the hexagrams using them would work well.

This is exactly what I was looking for ! Thank you! :p

crazy raven

JSNYC said:
Is anyone interested in pursuing this line of study? Are these concepts mundane? Or better yet, does anyone have anything to add, agree or disagree? Or what area of study most interests you about the I Ching?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that is interested in this study. I'm glad you've decided to learn and teach at the same time.

I'd like to understand the chinese symbolism and theories, THEN learn these same concepts in the symbols, myths, etc. I learnt and grew up on.

So please continue your study!

JSNYC

crazy raven said:
This is exactly what I was looking for ! Thank you! :p
Thank you for your post and encouragement, and I am glad I could help. :) Teaching can often be the best way to learn, especially with an abstract, difficult, and very deep topic like this. I believe the Yijing is an amazing book with quite a lot of depth and wisdom. I have already learned quite a lot from studying it, and it has been a fantastic complement to the Tarot. I also believe there is a lot of depth that has been lost to time as well, and is waiting to be rediscovered.

crazy raven

JSNYC said:
Thank you for your post and encouragement, and I am glad I could help. :) Teaching can often be the best way to learn, especially with an abstract, difficult, and very deep topic like this. I believe the Yijing is an amazing book with quite a lot of depth and wisdom. I have already learned quite a lot from studying it, and it has been a fantastic complement to the Tarot. I also believe there is a lot of depth that has been lost to time as well, and is waiting to be rediscovered.

I've found it works great with the Sabian Symbols too! :)

zhan.thay

I don't know if anyone is watching this thread but I thought I would add a couple of lists concerning the lines. These are from 'The Buddhist I Ching' by Chih-hsu Ou-i transl. Thomas Cleary.

Stages of Awakening to Reality
6 Ultimate realisation, not remaining static
5 Realisations
4 Intimations of awakening, effects of practices
3 Meditation on ideal or potential, initiation of actions
2 Intellectual understanding of ideal or potential
1 Ideal, potential

Stages of Meditative Practice
6 End of tasting meditation
5 Meditation neither in nor beyond the world
4 Meditation beyond the world
3 Meditation in the world and beyond the world
2 Meditation in the world yet pure, seeing reality
1 Beginning of worldliness

The Six Perfections or Paramita of Buddhism
6 Wisdom
5 Meditation
4 Energy
3 Tolerance
2 Self-discipline
1 Generosity

And some basic dualities:

Yin Yang
Concentration Insight
Softness Hardness
Flexibility Firmness
Restraint Action
Receptivity Creativity
Withdrawing Advancing
Yielding Proceeding
Essence Function

The hexagram titles also have some differences which make interesting comparison but I might post them in the other thread if I get them typed out.