Ideas for a Spirituality study group?

Zephyros

I like the spirit of participation everybody! Now, I'm just thinking aloud, so don't take what I'm about to say as gospel, okay?

When starting a study group there are a few things to consider. One of the things that differentiate a study group from a normal thread is that it is part of a series, that is, threads that have a running theme and are posted periodically. Now, some excellent ideas have been suggested, but one of the things that must be looked at is if they could be expanded into something like that or discussed in the confines of a single thread.

earthair said:
Trance states- necessary or not?

Great subject, but it seems to me it would be discussed in a single thread. Could you elaborate on how it could be expanded into a series of threads? If it cannot be a series, this could be a fascinating stand-alone thread that you are welcome to post.

Another issue I see is common ground for people to contribute on, which is why the idea of a common text works so well in the confines of a forum (practical considerations which must be taken into account). People have the same source everyone else has, they can read ahead and prepare or read back and learn. People are busy and have lives outside the forum so posting a weekly block of text and getting people going is both easy and enjoyable (in my opinion). Some topics suggested here are interesting but I don't know how they would work in practical terms if we have nothing common to work from.

Glass Owl said:
The Divine feminine Archetype (Mother Mary, Kuan Yin, etc) may make for an interesting subject to explore and study.

This could make for a very interesting study. How would it be done, in your opinion? There is already a thread about Mother Mary, how would it be different?

DownUnderNZer said:
Spirituality is a way of being connected to something "bigger" as well as ourselves, others, and the world/universe and/or life.

While I agree in principle, as I said there are also practical concerns that must be taken into account. Something is needed so that all people may come in and contribute. It may very well be that the "traditional" study group format I'm used to is not suited for Spirituality but if so, what kind of format would you suggest?

Keep up the stream of good ideas, everyone, and please don't think I'm shooting anyone down. Just trying to translate your excellent ideas into practice. Also, keep in mind that it won't necessarily be me who posts the threads. If I don't find something interesting someone else can take up the mantle.

DownUnderNZer

I read this book years ago that rather intrigued me and might be worth exploring. Looking it up...

Few things actually when I think about it... :)

1) Celestine Prophecies.

Not the book itself, but the idea and concept is really interesting and very spiritual. About signs and nothing is a coincidence etc.

2) Sudden Unexpected Death Syndrome (in dream/nightmare time).

What do people believe? Could it be "Dab Tsuam" - bad spirits (Laos) , "Bangungot" - Mythical creatures (Phillipines), or other possibilities like demons or even the devil. Especially if not caused "naturally".

3) The Akashic Records.

If I think of anything more I will come back. :)

Glass Owl

The Divine feminine Archetype (Mother Mary, Kuan Yin, etc) may make for an interesting subject to explore and study.

This could make for a very interesting study. How would it be done, in your opinion? There is already a thread about Mother Mary, how would it be different?

Well, I think a study group about the Divine Feminine would allow for many points and areas of discussion along with tbe study of Goddesses of various cultures and religions. Things like:

- What is Divine Feminine energy?
- In what ways do you see it appearing or expressing itself? What aspects do you see as feminine?
- In what ways can we connect with this energy - as a man and as a woman?
- How can I (or do) celebrate and worship the Divine Feminine? (This could open up a separate discussion for magical spells, mediations, rituals, prayers, divination methods, etc) In what ways do we as a society ignore, supress, or dishonor this energy?
- How does the Divine Feminine energy compare and contrast with Divine Masculine? How do they work together?
- What role(s) does Divine Feminine energy play in various cultures and religions? In the animal kingdom (for instance the queen bee and lion prides)?
- How do you feel about the female warrior archetype and famous examples of her? How can you connect with this energy?
- What are your thoughts about the Divine Mother archetype? How does your relationship with your mother or motherly Goddesses affect how you view this energy? How can you (or do you) incorporate the Divine Feminine motherly energy into your religious or spiritual practice?

There are threads here about different goddesses but in a study group format I think these topics could be explored in new, deeper ways as they would build upon points discussed in other study group threads. Specific books and films could also be used to generate topics. Take the Disney princesses. What Divine feminine energies do they possess? How do their stories affect children and their beliefs about the Divine Feminine Archetype? How is Merida (Brave) similar to various warrior Goddesses?

Luna's Crone

Carlos Canstaneda

In another group, I was talking about the books of Carlos Canstaneda. Now THOSE are some books to study. I am gonna get all five even tho i only read three. at the time they where beyond my understanding but i always want to read the 3 and the rest of the set. They are strange, but they are really spiritual.

I am hoping to understand the now that I am 63 than 19 or 20.

Blessings

earthair

Great subject, but it seems to me it would be discussed in a single thread. Could you elaborate on how it could be expanded into a series of threads? If it cannot be a series, this could be a fascinating stand-alone thread that you are welcome to post.

Well...that was just the first quote that sprung to mind. I thought we could have a study group with practical things to do as well as text to read. So maybe we would look at different types of trance, try things out, report back etc and also there are lots of different texts and opinions from various viewpoints to examine. Hopefully with the broad selection of people from a range of 'belief' backgrounds already showing an interest, we could do something really interesting and new? I would run it by firstly getting everyone in the group to introduce a method they use, how they use it, throw in some study texts maybe, and other people try it? So with x people in the study group it could run for at least x weeks if we did a method per week? Then at the end (or beginning) we try doing nothing at all- to see if it really is necessary :D

Luna's Crone

Courses of study

There are so many courses of study that makes this really interesting. Tho i like the first idea, the old testament. Not only does it contain actual history there are so many cryptic things going on there as well. And if you can manage to get a copy of the Torah. that would be great, because that should have all if not most of the books. Like the ones the Christians didn't want in the bible. And I imagine Gnostic books would be new testament???? Oh yeah, it took along time before the Israelites decided just on one god.

Zephyros

Great ideas everybody. I must admit that I'm not really qualified to run some of these ideas, so idea-suggesters, you've just volunteered! ;)

Over the next few days I'll be contacting you all by PM so that we can hammer out a working format for the (as yet theoretical) study group, and when we have some ideas, mixing and matching the different ones, I'll post a poll to see what idea the community likes best. Then we can start to roll with it.

celticnoodle

oooh, I am interested in a few of these ideas myself! I hope Zephyros, that if you do contact the people with ideas, that they or you will also PM the rest of us who posted an interest in these subjects, or at least provided a link to it in this thread. I will be keeping an eye out on them though! :)

DownUnderNZer

Unfortunately I can't as am getting ready to go abroad soon and have too many things to do before flying out.

Even if not going time is an issue these days... :)

Will pop in and out though. :thumbsup:

celticnoodle

so, is anyone stepping forward to start one of their ideas for a group study?