In your language...?

Morwenna

I suppose it's a matter of having learned Tarot in your second language, and then wanting to relate to the cards in your first. Anything that works, in my opinion! I never verbalize to the cards, but I do verbalize when reading, even for myself (it sometimes helps to treat myself as a separate querent). Now I do have a second language--French--and sometimes I find a French word or phrase is best suited to what I'm thinking or feeling (though it's many years since I've spontaneously thought in French). Now I've never thought of Tarot in French before, but you've given me an idea: maybe, on those occasions where the meaning is clear as a bell but just will not come out in English, I should try French! And then recast it if I'm reading for someone who doesn't know French.

Golden Moon

Marina said:
I'll normally ask the question in portuguese rather than in english, but since I think in english very often, sometimes when I'm reading to myself I'll do the reading in english too. And sometimes I'll mix both in my mind!

However, portuguese always sounds more sincere to me... closer to my feelings. I guess it's because it is my first language. :)

Morwenna said:
I suppose it's a matter of having learned Tarot in your second language, and then wanting to relate to the cards in your first. Anything that works, in my opinion! I never verbalize to the cards, but I do verbalize when reading, even for myself (it sometimes helps to treat myself as a separate querent). Now I do have a second language--French--and sometimes I find a French word or phrase is best suited to what I'm thinking or feeling (though it's many years since I've spontaneously thought in French). Now I've never thought of Tarot in French before, but you've given me an idea: maybe, on those occasions where the meaning is clear as a bell but just will not come out in English, I should try French! And then recast it if I'm reading for someone who doesn't know French.

Great examples Mariaa & Morwenna, Exactly what I was asking. When I ask the cards a question in English, the question sounds so dry and tasteless. Even when I try to interpret the cards in English, they seem so incoherent. but when I ask the cards a question in my native Spanish, the question sounds proper to me and I get comprehensible answers from the cards. Since Spanish sounds more romantic and the grammar structure is more correct.

moderndayruth

Golden Moon said:
Since Spanish sounds more romantic and the grammar structure is more correct.
I think its the question of it being your first language and the fact that you speak it more fluently... If you need to romanticize your English, reading (and translating) good poetry is a great way to do so.
Though every language bears its own thing within itself, mostly its down to the reader, not the language.
(I am bilingual Serbian/Russian and have a fair command of couple of other languages- one of them being from the same language family as Spanish - hence the conclusions i made. )

Golden Moon

moderndayruth said:
I think its the question of it being your first language and the fact that you speak it more fluently... If you need to romanticize your English, reading (and translating) good poetry is a great way to do so.
Though every language bears its own thing within itself, mostly its down to the reader, not the language.
(I am bilingual Serbian/Russian and have a fair command of couple of other languages- one of them being from the same language family as Spanish - hence the conclusions i made. )

Yes, I understand. I'm fluent in Spanish as well as English and semi-fluent in French. But Spanish flows easily to me.

BTW, what romance language do you speak moderndayruth?

moderndayruth

Golden Moon said:
BTW, what romance language do you speak moderndayruth?
I speak Italian.

eta:
p.s. and i do have the ambition to learn Spanish, because its beautiful and rich, but i am taking a break from studying languages right now, so its going to be sometime later

Golden Moon

moderndayruth said:
I speak Italian.

eta:
p.s. and i do have the ambition to learn Spanish, because its beautiful and rich, but i am taking a break from studying languages right now, so its going to be sometime later

Ha yes, Spanish & Italian go hand in hand.... :D

nisaba

Golden Moon said:
Do any of you feel comfortable asking your cards questions or pray to them in your own language? I do, I always have the feeling that my cards listen to me if I speak to them in my native language. Who here feels like this?
I don't think it matters what language you use - as far as I know, no one's ever designed a deck to only work with one language or cultural group, a nd to not work with any other.

I happen to speak and think only in English, although I have a smattering of two European languages (not enough to cope) and a few words of Cantonese. I have a Russian deck which works perfectly well for me, three Czech decks that work perfectly well for me, and a lot of old Italian decks that work perfectly well for me. I am familiar with none of those languages - I talk to them only in my own language.

I don't pray to decks at all. They are not gods. (I don't actually pray to gods, either - I tend to talk to them).

Stormdancer

Golden Moon said:
Do any of you feel comfortable asking your cards questions or pray to them in your own language? I do, I always have the feeling that my cards listen to me if I speak to them in my native language. Who here feels like this?

Since I really only have one language, I'm probably not the best person to answer, but using your "native" language makes perfect sense to me (....whether you are questioning or praying....) I think it's all about what YOU feel comfortable with.

However....there are times when a foreign phrase pops up for me, and when that happens, I roll with it.

lord_ewin

Golden Moon said:
Great examples Mariaa & Morwenna, Exactly what I was asking. When I ask the cards a question in English, the question sounds so dry and tasteless. Even when I try to interpret the cards in English, they seem so incoherent. but when I ask the cards a question in my native Spanish, the question sounds proper to me and I get comprehensible answers from the cards. Since Spanish sounds more romantic and the grammar structure is more correct.

I know what you mean, but I don't think it's language related, but more thought related (or how you best organise your thoughts and hold onto ideas).

For example I do not talk or pray to my cards per say (you'll not hear a peep), but before I start anything with mine, I do clear my mind and think hard on the question being asked.

There is no actual dialogue other than framing the question in my head (for an odd reason, I do this in English when in fact I am French). I get a better answer if the question can be held up clearly in my mind while I work, and often concepts seem easier to hold in my head in English.

Maybe you're doing something similar in Spanish.

Golden Moon

lord_ewin said:
I know what you mean, but I don't think it's language related, but more thought related (or how you best organise your thoughts and hold onto ideas).

For example I do not talk or pray to my cards per say (you'll not hear a peep), but before I start anything with mine, I do clear my mind and think hard on the question being asked.

There is no actual dialogue other than framing the question in my head (for an odd reason, I do this in English when in fact I am French). I get a better answer if the question can be held up clearly in my mind while I work, and often concepts seem easier to hold in my head in English.

Maybe you're doing something similar in Spanish.

Well, me being Spanish [Latino] as well as my native tongue and being fluent in English, I always feel more comfortable and "at home" when I ask my cards a question and when I interpret them in Spanish, I find it more clear and coherent. Why? IDK!:).