Jungian Function Types and the Tarot

Nevada

Jung's type ... let's ask him

Of course we can't ask him, but someone did ...

I'm not sure if I mentioned above the television interview of Jung made around 1959 that can be found in four parts on YouTube. (Looking back now I see that I didn't. I wanted to, but couldn't recall for certain what he said.) I'll provide links below. Toward the end of part 3, he talks about typology and in particular his own type. He was careful to mention that one's type is not static but changes in the course of one's life. (I've experienced this first hand, and seen it proven out in tests I've taken - I saw where I adapted my type to fit a job that was important to me and where I was surrounded by people of the opposite type (mostly ESTJs). I'm normally an INFP, sometimes INFJ, but at that time I tested as INXX - much to the surprise of the person who tested me.)

Jung said on the video that he was predominantly a thinking type, and then intuitive, that he had a great deal of trouble with his feelings, and he felt at variance with the reality of things (sensing?), so I would take that as indicating he was an INTJ as John Beebe theorizes.

Face to Face with Carl Jung
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

re-pete-a

Thank you Nevada for those links. Appreciated.
Even from those short links his ideas of a collective unconscious is easily understood.

re-pete-a

JSNYC said:
I actually do understand... well kind of, but not completely... which is why I want to interpret it. :)

My point was, what if the inner and outer are the same thing? And our limitation is rooted in our need to distinguish the two?

And to the topic of this thread: what if Jung's function types described not only how a person functions internally...

And also... maybe 90% is known and only 10% is unknown and the real problem is that the 10% connects the other 90%, so essentially the equation would be that 10% is unknown and 90% isn't understood (because of the unknown 10%).

I do really like abstract, esoteric, mental wanderings... I am just not as good at presenting them as you because, especially when writing, I try to define or describe things too precisely, which can them lose their magic sometimes... Believe me, I read your posts and take (mental) notes. Because they make sense... sort of... or at least they get my brain churning! :D

(I actually had an insight while reading/writing this... An insight about myself and my limitations... or just maybe about what my function (type) is...)

The links supplied by Nevada has opened another can of worms that deserve to be used as mind bait .

Correct this if in error,
But didn't the Myans have trouble detecting the arrival of the Spanish . The Sharman noticed the ripples caused by the waters disturbances and so knew something was amiss, but couldn't see it. Then had to re-educate himself and others to perceive the ships.

Perhaps there's a connection to race limited collective consciousness

Am glad that the readings of these post has caused a disturbance in your mind.
That is the process of change, disturbances in the currently held beliefs.

Your viewpoints are interesting though life's experiences has taught a different point of view to yours.

Function types all unite eventually when the cause becomes common, even though the reference points differ.
AT is a perfect example .

Enjou your disturbances.

zephyr_heart

Well basically, I agree with what Jung said, especially the archetypes, but I don't fully agree with what Jung said about the card's meanings and interpretation.

Debra

re-pete-a said:
But didn't the Myans have trouble detecting the arrival of the Spanish . The Sharman noticed the ripples caused by the waters disturbances and so knew something was amiss, but couldn't see it. Then had to re-educate himself and others to perceive the ships.

This seems to be a popular idea in parts of the new age community and as far as I can tell it is junk.

I can't imagine what evidence there might be for it. Nor does it seem likely that people who lived near the sea and therefore spend time looking at it would be somehow blind to objects like ships just because they were unfamiliar.

"Do you see what I see? And what the heck are they?" are more likely responses than collective sensory whiteout.

JSNYC

Debra said:
"Do you see what I see? And what the heck are they?" are more likely responses than collective sensory whiteout.
Maybe they didn't want to see the ships... or maybe they knew they weren't supposed to... Doesn't sound like they were all standing on the beach watching. ;)

re-pete-a

Debra said:
This seems to be a popular idea in parts of the new age community and as far as I can tell it is junk.

I can't imagine what evidence there might be for it. Nor does it seem likely that people who lived near the sea and therefore spend time looking at it would be somehow blind to objects like ships just because they were unfamiliar.

Now that you mention it.
The spanish wiped most of them out so maybe the one that got away was that someone special that had written in their memoirs the interesting day at the beach.

Who was that guy that sailed around the skies on the wings of an eagle , or was it a disc , you know, Horus.
An' those Greek legends.

The THUNDER STICK(rifle) wasn't a bad fairly modern example either.

What about the biblicle guy that held off a thousand attackers at a bridge with just the jaw bone of an ass. Pretty good ,huh.

Sorry , but it does happen that the limits of the perceptions are governed by what is able to be accepted. Because we're so quick to adapt , there aren't too many modern examples.

Things are transposed by the mind into what is acceptable, for now.

re-pete-a

Debra said:
because they were unfamiliar.

When awakening from last nights sleep a modern WHITE OUT example popped into mind.

Clair' whatever, is a commonly known phenomona, yet who is able to do it.
Yet those that do, say it's something that all are capable of ,yet most dont believe they are.
The signals are there , you just need to tune in.
This era is supposed to be the age of Aquarius, though it's more the age of the mind. Water being the Hermetic representative of the mind.

JSNYC

re-pete-a said:
When awakening from last nights sleep a modern WHITE OUT example popped into mind.
I can certainly relate, and I am not surprised you do as well.

I was pondering your question about the ascending and descending order of the major arcana. And yes, you were referring to Jung's process of individuation. Through the first half of our lives, we develop the dominant function and its offsetting function becomes the inferior function. Then, midway through life, we begin to search for balance. We begin to divert energy from the dominant function, to develop the neglected inferior function. The diversion of energy naturally requires the dominant function to “let go” as the energy is diverted to the neglected function.

But that leads into discussion of the transcendent function; a new function is born, with the sole purpose of bringing the halves together. And this function will tend to have a numinous (seemingly one of Jung’s favorite words) quality, much like a whiteout. I would imagine this function is pretty powerful and disorienting, with much flailing about… much sanity and illusion questioning.

I think ANA had a good quote…

ANA said:
and we all come to the same conclusion "as above so below" and yes we are made of "star stuff"

I guess I got confused by your analogy, you went up and down the major arcana, whereas I split it in half, with the last three being transcendent. But that wasn’t the point of your question. However, that makes me curious about your perspective. Of course, I am always interested in hearing your mental wanderings. :thumbsup:

Why do I have this insane urge to watch Star Wars? (I never bought the DVD because I was one of those people who was irate with George Lucas for changing it. :) )

re-pete-a

Note:
Mental wanderings happen in the spirituality section if your a financial member.

Talking about the ascending then descending of the major arkana is one thing , Intellectually speaking .
But living it is quite something else. There are no rules ,no clues ,no solid structures of meanings.
There are only babblings which the listener, not having experienced , delegating it to the curiously unbalanced.

The odd thing is the babbler can see right through the situation, though unable to verbalise it in a language the other can understand, due to the differences in event horizons

Hence the simplest terminology "letting Go" to help view the changed characters positions in the order of the ebb and flow of the Major Arkana.

The Strange or odd one playing the part of the Fool at a different level may even be the key to the acceptance of, and application of, hidden or 'Whited out' esoteric tools.

What would be the character of someone that had experienced the whole or full trip.
Fully rounded , completed , balanced ?

Doubtful.

Foolish, odd, proberbly.