Just need to vent.... again

franniee

Hi

Well a guy who works for my husband asked my husband if I would be available to read at a birthday party for this caterer's family member. This caterer has quite the clientele so I was excited to do this for the connections as well as the fee I charge. I was even going to discount my usual fee in the hopes that he would book parties for me. I went over my basic fee structure and my husband relayed the info. This was about a month ago.

The date is in 2 1/2 weeks and nobody has called me or anything to discuss the event. So this morning I e-mailed the wife of the worker. She sends me this cryptic message: Thank you so much for donating your time and your talent to this event and to our cause.
I am copying the event planner in this correspondence so you can get in
touch with each other and work out any details necessary.

So I write back and said that I was confused and that I was told I was being hired for a birthday party.

She replies: Leave it to the men to not be able to communicate. I think (my husband) explained everything more clearly to (yours) and he will fill you in.
Give me a call sometime in the next week or so and I can explain in greater
detail. The invite is in the finishing stages with the designer and I will
e-mail it to you as soon as it is ready.

Their son has a terrible disease. We have donated money to the charity they have set up for it. Not to mention the generosity my husband has given endlessly in time and consideration!

So I call my husband and I can not transcribe that conversation because I am furious! :mad: I said what the #%&* is she talking about? HE said that the woman who the party was for decided that she didn't want to have a big bday bash and instead wanted to donate her party to the charity and hit all her friends up for donations for the cause. So when he spoke to his worker he said you told me it was a bday pty and the worker said OH well the plans changed. Did Fran think she was going to get paid? My husband said YES. And he replied Oh well!

How unbelievably rude and inconsiderate of these people! I shouldn't be surprised they are incredibly selfish and gross!!!! The wife makes me ill (she is a lost cause) but I always try and take a breath because she has this ill son who is not even 4 yet!

I am red hot angry right now! :mad: They can't even give me common consideration and call me and ask me politely if I would like to donate my time. You all know what I would have said. NO they have no respect for me or anyone else!!!!!!!!

SOOOOOOO my sister said to just let it go and Don't bother reading for their event either. I am going to let my anger go. I have to - it is the right thing to do and speaking out would have no effect on these people anyway they are far too obtuse - it would be a waste of adrenaline and my breath. (venting here and with my family is enough - thank you!!) :heart:

Don't you think it would have been considerate to put me and my website/number on the invite in exchange for me reading for hours FREE???? It will be a real kick in the pants to them if they did - won't it?

Umbrae

franniee said:
Don't you think it would have been considerate to put me and my website/number on the invite in exchange for me reading for hours FREE???? It will be a real kick in the pants to them if they did - won't it?
IMO, decent folks ask first.

Then I can either refuse, or remind them that “This is how I make my living’, glad to donate time, can I put out a tip-jar”, or “Sorry, I’m busy that weekend.”

But I don’t work for folks who make assumptions.

Baroli

OOOOHHHH Franniee, I can see you now, pacing in your home while on the phone going bonkers because of people who have not a clue.

Now don't get me wrong,...charity work is a good thing to do. I think there was a huge misunderstanding and a huge amount of "Oh Well,..." Oh well, doesn't cut it for me.

They should have asked first and not assumed. Umbrae makes a good point.

franniee

I am so angry that my face is RED!!!

My poor daughter better stay in my room watching Max and Ruby or she will surely add color to her vocabularly!

I would have gladly donated my time had I been asked to do so. But I was not given that consideration.

Grizabella

Although you're angry, think about the long range effects it could have on your Tarot career. Give yourself some time to defuse and then approach it in a firm but courteous way. Don't just blow off irrationally in the heat of the moment. That's my sincere suggestion. :)

franniee

Grizabella said:
Although you're angry, think about the long range effects it could have on your Tarot career. Give yourself some time to defuse and then approach it in a firm but courteous way. Don't just blow off irrationally in the heat of the moment. That's my sincere suggestion. :)

I have no intention of blowing up at these people. It would be a waste of my time and energy. As I said in my first post I will let it go. My anger will diffuse soon it is already dissipating. I don't have the energy or stomach to hold grudges.

I also do not allow people to disrespect me. I don't intend to approach them at all - if they can't pick up the phone and speak with me that is their problem.

Grizabella

franniee said:
I am so angry that my face is RED!!!

My poor daughter better stay in my room watching Max and Ruby or she will surely add color to her vocabularly!

I would have gladly donated my time had I been asked to do so. But I was not given that consideration.

OK my mistake. I went by the middle sentence up there in the post of yours I've quoted. I thought you meant you were going to call them and use language your daughter shouldn't hear. :D

The crowned one

I do not make my living this way but I am with Umbrae if I did. Doctors do not go to parties and diagnose for free (well thats not quite true) lawyers hand you their card and a bank account number the second you ask a question. A volunteer job needs to be stated that way up front. Doing it is up to you, I understand your anger and completely support your position. Now if you can, let it go as no-one but you and yours are being affected by your mood ;)

Based on the way this SNAFU has been presented I would weigh out the pro's and con's as to it furthering your career before making a decision. If you take the gig...as far as the tip jar goes...don't ask just do it. Make it a classy one, like you .

franniee

The crowned one said:
Now if you can, let it go as no-one but you and yours are being affected by your mood ;)

Based on the way this SNAFU has been presented I would weigh out the pro's and con's as to it furthering your career before making a decision. If you take the gig...as far as the tip jar goes...don't ask just do it. Make it a classy one, like you .

alls well - anger is diffused - mood is gone - I am fierce but I burn out quick. :) little monkey is asleep with her purple monkey. :angel:

as for the party ..... feathers are ruffled and the jury is out. :)

XOXO TCO

afrosaxon

(((fran)))

They were out of line.

Some people's children (c) Demon Goddess.

*shaking head*

T.