List of tarot myths

sleepingcat

sweet_intuition said:
Ready for a new one?

"Gay people aren't spiritual enough to be good at any divinatory art.. especially the Tarot"

This said by a local reader who has her own TV show here! (Note - on her show, she said "If you're a Virgo, and you pull the 2 of Swords card.. you have a tendency to go blind")

A tendancy? do you do it often then? o.0;

Person sounds like a fruitcake with a thoughtless agenda. -.-;

le fey

Everything's a myth. Myths are just the stories we tell ourselves to try to make sense of things.

I think there's a difference between personal myths, which can be very helpful as a way to provide structure if one needs it, and those that become 'common wisdom' and often devolve into dogma - they usually have a fairly sensible purpose that's gotten lost in tradition.

I think 'do what works for you' is a pretty good myth, as long as what your're doing actually is working for you and isn't limiting you.

If you feel confined by the myths you live by, try stepping beyond them and see if they hold up or if it's time to let them go.

SarahRose

I got a good laugh out of this thread. The sad thing is, most of my family members prattle off these fears legitimately!

Aulruna

I have some to add to Scion's list of dos and don'ts...

- Making the querent interpret their own cards is always better than reading them yourself.

- Empowering readings (the "what do I need to know about" kind) are better than divinatory readings.

- Phlegmatic and melancholic temperament types are natural born readers, sanguinic and choleric types will have a hard time becoming good readers.

- MY method is better than YOURS (insert any favourite message here).
- Variation of above: X's method is better than yours because he/she has a book out.

Scion

Aulruna! Love those additions... couldn't agree more. :)

rabidwolfie

sweet_intuition said:
Ready for a new one?

"Gay people aren't spiritual enough to be good at any divinatory art.. especially the Tarot"

Does this include bisexual people?

re-pete-a

tried flogging em,,,,,,,,,but had MAJOR hassels,,,,,,the swords punctured the penticles,,,,,,then got lost in the forrest of wands only to find a cupp under the ear for doing it ..... 3 months in the tower as well,,,,,,devil of an experience,,,,now there's a distinct lisp and shuffle as a result
________
Portofino

Shade

Some favorites are:

Reading tarot cards necessarily involves working with familiar spirits

The future is never set in stone

You should never read tarot after a couple of drinks

The best way to store your cards is a black silk cloth in a wooden box'

There are dying witches out there who are passing their haunted tarot decks to people to sell on Ebay

AJ

re-pete-a said:
tried flogging em,,,,,,,,,but had MAJOR hassels,,,,,,the swords punctured the penticles,,,,,,then got lost in the forrest of wands only to find a cupp under the ear for doing it ..... 3 months in the tower as well,,,,,,devil of an experience,,,,now there's a distinct lisp and shuffle as a result

Everyone raise hands that believes the tarot myth that re-pete-a is Durante Hapke's twin, separated at birth :)

stella01904

sweet_intuition said:
Ready for a new one?

This said by a local reader who has her own TV show here! (Note - on her show, she said "If you're a Virgo, and you pull the 2 of Swords card.. you have a tendency to go blind")
It's like Ann Coulter decided to be the next Miss Cleo. :puke: :puke: :puke: