List of tarot myths

la-luna

KarlThomas said:
You don't HAVE to have a cat on location to give a good reading, but it helps. And if you don't like cats, what are you doing in this game?

Bit of an allergy problem here with cats - but they all without exception love me and are as drawn to me...

Living in a haunted place might help perhaps in readings (well i have my house-ghost who is a cat...)

trinityangel

Many belly laughs at this thread, some brilliant myths about...and everyone is so witty..I love it! :)

My favourite because probably the most adhered to with/without actually believing it should be done is the one about keeping the deck in a cloth in a wooden box...I reckon at least 90% of us do that!

*peace,love,harmony*

gregory

trinityangel said:
My favourite because probably the most adhered to with/without actually believing it should be done is the one about keeping the deck in a cloth in a wooden box...I reckon at least 90% of us do that!
Good grief. Hardly ANY of mine are in wooden boxes..... OR in cloths.

Oh dear.... :(

crystal09

recent one i heard...

if you work well with the thoth deck you won't with the quest deck and vice versa

(can't really disagree with it yet as i haven't been able to befriend my quest deck... so far!)

Morwenna

Well, some things have practical bases. Take the wooden box and/or cloth thing: if you carry the deck around, cloth and wood hold up a lot better than cardboard! I have personal experience of that! And if the container holds together, it protects the cards and keeps them corraled, which is a Good thing!

enchanted spirit

I was told - by someone who doesn't read tarot - that if I don't read reversals I'm not doing a real reading.

Seafra

Found these on a tarot blog. The writer implied that s/he'd seen these directions from several sources so I guess that makes them true. I've never ever heard of them.
No-reversals is a more modern, New Age sort of thing, in keeping with avoiding negativity. Earlier occultists didn’t avoid negativity.
That one made me giggle. This next one seems wrong to me on several counts:
People tend to read the crossing card in a Celtic Cross as always reversed, or as its most negative. In the case of the 8 of Cups, the upright is more negative than the reversal.
Why would the 8 of cups upright be the most negative? And this last gem from yet another blog (yeah, I love reading blogs).
Many Tarot readers will say that as soon as the 4th Major Arcana is turned over to stop the reading and begin your second reading using the Major Arcana only.
So hey you many Tarot readers out there -- better start saying that stuff about the 4th Major Arcana blah blah or you're doing it wrong.

Atticus Sage

I don't know if this one has been posted yet, but I heard a GREAT one in a podcast once:

The Tower is a depiction of what happened to the World Trade Center. The Fool, with his great shout, actually caused the Tower to fall. Therefore, TAROT READERS ARE THE ONES WHO ATTACKED THE WORLD TRADE CENTER!

(I wish I were kidding when I said that I heard that... it actually referenced the article on this website about the meaning of the Tower card)

Also, all tarot readers are obsessed with the occult and also study numerology, kabbalah, etc.

Tharivol

Hee. This thread is just made of 100% pure, undiluted win. Especially love the "tarot is for gamezorz!" "Tarot is for magickses!" pair... 've gotten so many dirty looks while looking for a game...

Hee. You can never, under ANY circumstances, use your game deck as a reading deck. Or your reading deck as a game deck. Never.

NorthernTigress

Tharivol said:
Hee. This thread is just made of 100% pure, undiluted win. Especially love the "tarot is for gamezorz!" "Tarot is for magickses!" pair... 've gotten so many dirty looks while looking for a game...

Hee. You can never, under ANY circumstances, use your game deck as a reading deck. Or your reading deck as a game deck. Never.

You mean I can't take the Majors out of my Tarot and use it to play Klondike Solitaire?? Awww.

[I did that with my Barbara Walker years ago. I got bored with trying to read with it, so I figured, "cards are cards".]