List of tarot myths

Lenore

Tarot myths

Just remembered another, possibly
also maybe from the 1970's Edith Grey book?
Wait for it..Yep!..the Seeker sits on the West and the Reader sits on the East..!,
Sooo..It is..all about the FLOW...maybe ley lines? And so forth?

And in regard to our babies being born in full Gypsy costume, silver jewelery and birth canal issues,
(wish I could find your fantastic post?)
Perhaps all of our members at risk of this, may well consider ceasarian? LOL.

tarotbear

And I think the bookstores are under the impression that you must make an informed decision about which one to buy without ever opening it and seeing any of the cards! lol.

You don't need to see the deck to buy it! ALL tarot Readers are naturally pyschic! :D

Brandi _

One of the myths I hear of the most: Tarot cards are the Devil's toys.

tarotbear

The Devil Made Me Do it!

One of the myths I hear of the most: Tarot cards are the Devil's toys.

So, how come the Devil always gets such great toys? LOL!!!

{The actual quote although I don't know who said it anymore (might be Duke Ellington) is that someone told them that "Jazz is the Devil's music!" to which he was reported to reply 'so - How come the Devil gets all the good music? - :D}

Dain

The following myths come from Greece where I live:

1. The tarot was invented by a wise gypsy woman named Arcana. She was so wise that people called her Great (Major: In modern colloquial Greek the words for "great" and "major" is identical: Μεγάλη/Μegali Αρκάνα/Arcana. Megali is the femminine form of Megas/Megalos as in Μέγας Αλέξανδρος/Μegas Alexandros/Alexander the Great).
This myth was perpetuated by a friend of mine who claimed to have read it in a magazine article somewhere. She continued believing in this myth even after I explained to her the meaning of the word Arcana...

2. Another article in an older Greek magazine claimed that the word "Tarot" or Ταρώ/Ταρό in Greek (pronounced the French way but with rolling the R) came from the exclamation "Τα ρω-, τα ρωτώ!" that people used when casting or shuffling the cards.
"Ta ro-, ta roto" would be pronounced Ta RO- Ta ROTO with an emphasis on "to" in "roto".
It means "The/they/them (I) a-, the/they/them (I) ask!" referring, of course, to asking the cards!
Somehow, I severely doubt the author of that article had read even one book about the history of the Tarot... (and, yes, I'm being sarcastic) but you can add this to the list of unlikely (read: totally impossible) roots for the word Tarot! At least, he did not claim the tarot was a Greek invention. He just reiterated the "gypsies" myth... :p

merissa_88

My favorite myth (because I trade and buy used decks so much) is: you must never let anyone else touch your cards or use a deck owned by someone else. Their energy is programmed into the cards and they won't be accurate for you.

My only way of bonding with a deck is reading or studying it. I don't do any of the other rituals and rarely need to "cleanse" a deck. (And I believe in spiritual cleansing.) They work beautifully. Of course, most of my pre-owned decks were probably not the previous owner's favorite go-to deck.

dawntarot

Personally, I think it's a myth that anyone/everyone can learn to read the tarot...

I mean yes, in theory, anyone can buy a deck and a book and sit down with it and learn the meanings, etc. That doesn't mean they will be a good reader. I could go and buy a book on quantum physics and sit down and study it, that doesn't mean I'm going to be a good quantum physicist. More than likely all I'd achieve would be a headache.

Like any other worthwhile endeavour, learning the tarot takes a lot of time and dedication... which many people aren't prepared to do, in the same way I'm not prepared to spend time with quantum physics.

If this wasn't true, and everyone could read tarot... there would be no professional readers... ;)

Dawn

JadoreHauteCouture

another myths amateurs tend to believe is when u pull Death card, someone is gonna die...