Magic Circles - study group?

Tanga

I'm no expert on shamanism, so I was wondering if people cast and use these circles in the same way as witches?

The answer is not exactly (I think) - though I don't know much more about Shamanism to tell you how they differ exactly. So I googled here:
https://crystal-cure.com/article-medicine-wheel.html
And then if you read this - the answer can be yes. :) (there's more detail to their use).
Possibly it's been appropriated from them (since witchery can be quite a mish-mash). But I'm not an historian.

earthair

Thanks for that ^ Tanga :)

I also found these beautiful words, from this website- http://www.shamanichealing.info/id51.html

"Shared Medicine Wheel Wisdom:

"To the East, the place of insight and rebirth, I send a prayer.
To the West, the place of death and wisdom, I send a voice.
To the North, the place of clarity and cleansing, I offer respect.
To the South, the place where Amaru, the serpent spirit, dwells and teaches healing and the spiritual powers of plants in the green place of reproduction and regeneration, I sing a song.
To the Four Winds, I cast my spirit, open my heart, release my soul, and surrender to my destiny.
Grant me the wisdom to understand the sacred in nature."
---J.E.Williams, The Andean Codex, Adventures and Initiations Among The Peruvian Shamans."

Regarding the history-

"The Mystery of the Ancient Medicine Wheels:
The original wisdom associated with the ancient physical Medicine Wheel's of Turtle Island has been lost in the mists of antiquity. We do not know who built them and why they were assembled. No one can say for certain what the ritual practices were. And about all that can be stated with certainty, is that Medicine Wheel practices had already spread among the numerous indigenous tribes throughout the Rocky Mountain foothills by the time they came to the attention of European travellers in the mid 1800's. This fact alone argues for the antiquity of the N. American Medicine Wheels, beyond that, little is known. We can only speculate. The built up physical remains of these stone circles, show that Medicine Wheel practice was well established prior to this.

The majority of the built-up stone structures of ancient Medicine Wheels of Turtle Island are located in Alberta, Canada. Some artifacts at these locations have been radio carbon dated to 4,500 years ago. Recently scientific instruments have been used in order to study the old Medicine Wheels and present a hypothesis that they were associated with astronomy."

Regarding the directions -

"
Eduardo Palomino Caldero'n, Curandero, Peru, invoked the associated power animals of the cardinal directions. North - buffalo/horse/dragon; West - jaguar; South - eagle; East - serpent/sun.
---Curanderos and Clients in Northern Peru, Jorelmon and Sharon.

Some Curanderos in Amazonia, Peru, invoke the directions first facing East, then West, South and North.

Some shamans in Brazil and Paraguay first invoke the North, then the South, then the East and last the West.

"...the owners of the sacred songs showed me the way from the West, where the sun sets, to the East, where the sun rises. They were God's messengers. They explained that after our bodies die, our souls have to travel through a certain path. They said that East and West are where people go to live after death. Their spirits live there. In the middle of the spritual road there is a path that comes from the ocean. This path originates from the South. The Northern path is also fromt the ocean. If your soul wants to go East, you are seeking perfection. Our spiritual father lives in the West where the sun goes down. Some day he will send his servers and soldiers to come and take away the darkenss. Then there will only be light. This is a danger for the world. We must pray for the return to the ways of our ancestors."
---Ava Tape Miri, Guarani Shamans Of The Forest, Bradford Keeney, PH.D, Ringing Rocks Foundation.

Northwest Pacific Coast Salish elders honour the colors of black and red and pray waterwise, first to the east, then north, west and south.

Peruvian Appachetta (Medicine Wheel):
South - Pachamama (Mother Earth) - Boa/Annaconda - Earth element - physical body.
West - Mamakila (Grandmother Moon) - Whale/Dolphin - water element - emotions.
North - Wirachocha (Great Spirit) - Condor/Eagle - Sky/Air element - spiritual.
East - Inti (Sun) - Jaguar/Puma - fire element - mind.
Center - Kuyeechee (Rainbow) - Lama - collective state of all the directions.

Cree Medicine Wheel:
East - yellow - morning - new day - beginnings.
South - red - warmth of full day sun.
West - dark blue - night.
North - white - snow - cold - white haired wisdom elders - white clothed birds and animals.

Mexican Mescalero Medicine Wheel:
East - life returning, dawn, new beginnings, Spring;
South - growth, high noon, Summer;
West - setting sun, aging and decay, Autumn;
North - night time, death, Winter.

"General sense of balance (for the Huichol of Mexico's Sierra Madre) is a proper relationship toward female ancestors which stem from the Ocean, to the West of the center where they live, and male energies which are primarily situated in the East, where the sun rises."
---Juan Negrin, The Wixarika Research Center.

Taoist Medicine Wheel:
North - winter - black - Water - fear and phobias - reaching out for peace.
East - spring - green -Wood (plant world) - growth - overcoming anger - reaching out for development and vision.
South - summer - red - Fire - overcoming chaos with clarity - transformation - reaching out for connection and warm relationships - trust - joy.
Southwest or centre - Indian Summer - yellow - Earth -overcoming insecurity and overthinking - reaching out for the Sacred Mother and nurture.
West - autumn - white - air/metal 'the shining' - life receding into the stalk and roots - difficulty in letting go - loss - grief - reaching out for value and essence - the Sacred Father.

Vedic Medicine Wheel:
Although that spirit of thine have gone far away to the the four quartered earth, we bring back that spirit of thine, to dwell here, to live long.

Although that spirit of thine have gone far away to the four regions of space, we bring back that spirit of thine, to dwell here, to live long.
---Rig Veda.

Sacred Elements Medicine Wheel:
The Air is the beginning of the World.
All breath comes from the Wind.
The Fire is the begining of the World.
All warmth comes from the Flame.
The Ocean is the beginning of the World.
All life comes from the Sea.
The Earth is the beginning of the World.
All strength comes from Within.
---Unknown. "

"Local Medicine Wheel Wisdom:
When we look to the different directions in our locality, what are the geographic and climatic conditions. The local Laws of Nature of the Spirit of the Land spoke directly to the First People of Turtle Island that lived where we reside today. The Spirit voices of Nature still sing their songs to respectful relations of all nations, who have the clarity of perception to be able to hear with their hearts. The current rush of all segments of society towards the digital way of life has resulted in disconnection with the local Laws of Nature of the Spirit of the Land. If we take time to reconnect, these fundamental forces of Nature can help our hearts feel at home and be centered in relation to everything else in our life and environment.

The Medicine Wheel represents the fundamental pattern of Creation. In each locality the Laws of Nature of the Spirit of the Land speaks in unique metapatterns of creative power. Some aboriginal societies feel the beginning is East, the direction where the sun rises, others feel it is West, the direction from where the thunderbeings bring the rains and new life. In Southeast Asia ancient wisdom holds that South is the direction from where wealth manifests. In India, South is the least propitious direction. Whereas in the Mid-West of Turtle Island, South is understood as the direction signifying the end of life.

The cultural ways of the people over time have manifested due to the climatic and geographical conditions of their ancestral locality. If we were to live for an extended period in those localities, we may also may be blessed with personal dreaming vision of those local Laws of Nature as well. To memorize a Medicine Wheel perspective of a different people and land is a 'borrowed' understanding - empty medicine, superficial at best. Descriptions of zodiac signs, types of stones and animals in various quadrants of the Medicine Wheel are someone else's experience or concept. Some of these teachings seem very contrived. For example, that the Medicine Wheel directions and colours red, yellow, black and white somehow correspond to the racial characteristics of Mother Earth's people. Many native traditionals say there was no dream vision basis for this understanding. In what quadrant would brown people be arbitrarily placed.

When we look South do we see the 'jumping mouse' that teaches about the details in our life. When we look West do we see the 'brown bear' that knows the medicine roots and heals the people. To whom and where did these aspects of Nature appear in dream visions. Could this be a creative intellectual teaching or business agenda. Do those who refer to these Medicine Wheel teachings credit where that wisdom originated or do they acknowledge that for them it is a mental construct that helps to explain life situations of the people.

In our locality what do we see when we look to the four cardinal directions. Here in the Coastal Pacific Northwest of turtle Island, when we look South we can be aware of the coastal Laws of Nature reaching down to California, Central and South America. When we look West we can be aware of the oceanic Laws of Nature reaching out to Asia. This can be truly spiritually relevent to us. Locally the Laws of Nature of the Spirit of the Land of each direction can speak to us in our dream visions. Ancient wisdom is most powerful locally. Direct personal experience of the local Laws of Nature of the Spirit of the Land is a thousand times more meaningful to our inner spirit than importing distant cultural ways or another persons' conceptualization."

I love the freedom to react to one's surroundings in the choosing of directions. :love: These circles feel the most magical of any I've discovered so far.

Tanga

I love the freedom to react to one's surroundings in the choosing of directions. :love: These circles feel the most magical of any I've discovered so far.

What a beautiful selection earthair thank you so much! :) :)

And yes I agree - it's most authentic when directions are chosen according to the life of the land and the lore of the particular group - rather than using a fixed formula.

Hence in my original practice when I was younger and still returned home to Kenya - I would begin in the North, where Venus resided in the brightening sky during my morning jog, and the direction that led to the wilder parts of our garden where the Dik Dik played (which is still a mental sanctuary today in my personal visualisations/pathwork - hence North was both the physical and mental "root". Dik Dik are tiny antelopes that bounce on their hooves.);

East was where the sun rose over the Candelabra cactus (which had beautiful white star-shaped flowers that only opened at dawn for something like half-an hour), and the direction towards college and the National Park. It's the direction from which I would hear the hyraxes call at night - and wonder who or what they were, and also the direction I would be in to spy on the pair of scops owls, in the bamboo by twilight - so a direction of "the mind" and the wonders of nature;

South faced the direction of the dangerous road through the forest (in which monkeys passed overhead - and the crested eagle called from) - and where a neighbour reputably found a human skull that she set at her doorstep to deter robbers;

and West was were the sun set over the Ngong Hills (I'd climb a tree sometimes to watch the sun go down). A direction sometimes synonymous with the life and romance of Karen Blixen (later made into the movie "Out of Africa". Her house - now a museum, had a most beautiful garden), and sometimes with the unknown wild country that moved more North-West past them, (of which I had read interesting stories - by past European settlers in the book "The 9 faces of Kenya"). This is the direction in which we once found a bush baby in the garden (never seen one again before or since) - a slow moving nocturnal teddy-bear-like creature. Fascinating.

And form that last poem I see where Starhawk got the chant "The Ocean is the beginning of the earth - all life comes form the sea!"... a beautiful simple chant sung in rounds.
(Starhawk being the leader - and well know Wiccan celebrity, of a Dianic Coven in USA).

earthair

Just been reading something very interesting about circle construction, which I shall post up when/if I can find an online link to the text.
I'm currently looking at circles within circles; why have one when you can have 3?

celticnoodle

OMGosh! I've totally forgotten about this interesting thread! I haven't been here forever....so will have to catch up. I'm so glad that I happened upon it, due to the most recent post by earthair. (T.Y. earthair!).

I've read THIS page. Now, after I read the 2 sites supplied here, I've got to go back to all the other pages. I remember when this was first put up how interested I was and then, I forgot about it...... Can't wait to read all these pages! :D

earthair

Thanks CN! It's nice to have people to chat to about this. :cool2:

I've found the pdf to save me typing out a huge extract of Secret Teachings of All Ages

~~~~~

" Now, if you desire the aid of the spirit to get this or that, then you must first draw the sign of the spirit whom you desire to invoke. The drawing must be made just in front of a circle made before sunrise, in which you and your assistants will stand. If you desire financial assistance, then you must invoke the spirit Aciel. Draw his sign in front of the circle. If you need other things, then draw the sign of the spirit capable of furnishing them. On the place where you intend to make the circle, you must first draw a great cross with a large sword with which no one ever has been hurt. Then you must make three concentric circles. The innermost circle is made of a
long narrow strip of virgin parchment and must be hung upon twelve crosses made of the wood of cross-thorn. Upon the parchment you must write the names and symbols according to the figure which follows. Outside this first circle make the second as follows:

"First secure a thread of red silk that has been spun or twisted to the left instead of the right. Then place in the ground twelve crosses made of laurel leaves, and also prepare a long strip of new white paper. Write with an unused pen the characters and symbols as seen on the second circle. Wind this latter strip of paper around with the red silken thread and pin them upon the twelve crosses of laurel leaves. Outside this second circle make a third one which is also of virgin parchment and pinned upon twelve crosses of consecrated palm. When you have made these three circles, retire into them until at last you stand in the center upon a pentagram drawn in the midst of the great cross first drawn. Now, to insure success, do everything according to the description, and when you have read off the sacred invocation pronounce the name of the spirit which you desire to appear. It is essential that you pronounce the name very distinctly. You must also note the day and the hour, for each spirit can only be invoked at certain times."

~~~~

The particular pdf I found has different illustrations to my copy of the Manly Hall book and includes this footnote...

~~~

"A MAGICAL SWORD. [this illustration is almost identical to the RWS Ace Swords with hand coming from the cloud] http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/img/10200.jpg

Eliphas Levi describes the preparation of a magical sword in substance as follows: The steel blade should be forged in the hour of Mars, with new tools. The pommel should be of hollow silver containing quicksilver, and the symbols of Mercury and the moon and the signatures of Gabriel and Samael should be engraved upon it. The hilt should be encased with tin, with the symbol of Jupiter and the signature of Michael engraved upon it. A copper triangle should extend from the hilt along the blade a short distance on each side: these should bear the symbols of Mercury and Venus. Five Sephiroth should be engraved upon the handle, as shown. The blade itself should have the word Malchut upon one side and Quis ut Deus upon the other. The sword should be consecrated on Sunday.

A MAGIC CIRCLE.
Click to enlarge
A MAGIC CIRCLE.

From The Complete Book of Magic Science (unpublished).

The above figure is a complete and faithful representation of a magic circle as designed by mediæval conjurers for the invocation of spirits. The magician accompanied by his assistant takes his place at the point formed by the crossing of the central lines marked MAGISTER. The words about the circle are the names of the invisible intelligences, and the small crosses mark points at which certain prayers and invocations are recited. The small circle outside is prepared for the spirit to be invoked, and while in use has the signature of the desired intelligence traced within the triangle."

~~~~

Anyway, things that went 'aha' in my brain- 1) the twisting of red thread around parchment - reminded me of witchcraft traditions where circles are formed from 3 threads or ribbons woven together. 2) those crosses and laurel leaves are straight out of the TdM World card!! I never thought of that card being a magic circle before but it really is. (and also the Thoth Universe come to think of it. 3) It doesn't say say how wide the parchment is? maybe folded or in a tube?

earthair

So...the power of 3....
Is it better to go around the same circle 3 times, or cast 3 separate circles within circles?

celticnoodle

sheesh, has it been 3 wks ALREADY?! LOL! :bugeyed:

I began to read all, but got sidetracked, stopped and haven't gotten back yet. No time right now either... :( I will though. SOON.

Tanga

..."A MAGICAL SWORD. [this illustration is almost identical to the RWS Ace Swords with hand coming from the cloud] http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/img/10200.jpg

...Anyway, things that went 'aha' in my brain- 1) the twisting of red thread around parchment - reminded me of witchcraft traditions where circles are formed from 3 threads or ribbons woven together. 2) those crosses and laurel leaves are straight out of the TdM World card!! I never thought of that card being a magic circle before but it really is. (and also the Thoth Universe come to think of it. 3) It doesn't say say how wide the parchment is? maybe folded or in a tube?

:) I'm not a magician - so can't comment. Except to say - The Golden Dawn where magicians, covering both RWS and Thoth decks. As for TdM - red thread around parchment is probably older than witchcraft tradition... the twisting of 3, probably within the tradition.
Ravenest might know.

Tanga

So...the power of 3....
Is it better to go around the same circle 3 times, or cast 3 separate circles within circles?

Hmm.
I never do either.

By the time I've "Cleared" the room and myself.
Then "Cast" the circle,
Then "Called" the quarters...

That's about 3 times around anyway.