Marseilles Deck and Reversals

annika334

Hi everybody,

I recently began reading Marseille Tarot.
I never used Reversals with RW, but I feel with Marseille it's different, maybe because a lot of the books I bought give meanings for reversals.

The fact is, in RW if you reverse the card there's a difference in energy (lower level) or it expresses itself in a negative way.

In the Marseille Tarot the reversed cards acquire often a meaning that has nothing to do with the upright meaning. It's like you have a double numer of cards ...

What do you think about it? Do you use reversals with Marseille Decks?

Bye
annika

Melanchollic

I don't use reversals, but there's no reason one can't. If you ever use an older Grimaud TdM like I've been known to do, it might be a challenge to figure out which way is up on some of the pips, since there aren't any copyright marks on the cards. ;)

Kris Hadar changed the design of the TdM pips on his version of the deck to make reversals possible. Strange, since Hadar recommends in his books to NOT use pips/courts at all.

:love: M

eugim

-Hi M ...
1-Reversal was invented by French occultists like Eliphas Levi and Papus in the 18 century,so is not concerned to TdM historical evidences.

cheers !

annika334

Thank you both,

I think I'll go on without reversals!

annika

Bernice

Hello annika334,

I don't use reversals with the Marseille. But I do hestitate when I see a card like the 2 Cups appear reversed. So, I think it's just a matter of individual choice.

Bee :)

Hooked on TdM

I don't use reversals either. I find that a dual meaning is already present in each card and it's placement determines if it leans more to one side or the other.

Hooked

Bernice

There you go annika334 ...BUT, in the end it's up to you. :)

Bee

mosaica

Melanchollic said:
Kris Hadar changed the design of the TdM pips on his version of the deck to make reversals possible. Strange, since Hadar recommends in his books to NOT use pips/courts at all.

How did Hadar change the pips? I don't use reversals, but I am looking to get a Hadar. Maybe I don't want to if he changed something significant....

Melanchollic

Hi mosaica,

Hadar left the Cups alone, as they can be reversed as is.

With Coins, he changed the four pedaled flower in the center of each coin to a five pedal flower, so one pedal of each flower will point up.

On the Batons and Swords, he colored certain details, leaves, sword hilts, etc. blue for for left, and pink for right (or vice versa, I can't remember which way he recommended.)

His deck is lovely, but I hate the back design, and the card stock is 'average'. I like my card stock heavy duty like the Piatnik or the Grimaud.

:CL Cheers

M

mosaica

Thanks, Mel. Those sound like minor enough changes. Sometimes it would be nice to know which end is up. I haven't seen the backs of the Hadar yet.