Mermaid Tarot by Dame Darcy

Astraea

I have a question for everyone: What do you find to be its most unique, stand-out qualities that make it hold its own as a readable tarot deck? Is it the theme? The art? I'd like to know if it is unique and readable enough to warrant it a spot in my collection. I know it's roughly RWS based and with a substantial collection already, I'd love to know what you think makes it stand out! Thanks! :)
For me, it's just plain fun. It follows the RWS system of meanings in a very imaginative, joyful way - it's a happy deck, and Dame Darcy's loose, engaging style and sense of humor make it a standout for me. The deck has a nautical theme, but it's far from sodden! The characters are friendly and appealing. I find it very easy to read with.

Citrin

I have a question for everyone: What do you find to be its most unique, stand-out qualities that make it hold its own as a readable tarot deck? Is it the theme? The art? I'd like to know if it is unique and readable enough to warrant it a spot in my collection. I know it's roughly RWS based and with a substantial collection already, I'd love to know what you think makes it stand out! Thanks! :)

One of the unique things with this deck is in my opinion the court cards. In a lot of decks out there the court cards all look the same to me, but here they have a unique look, a personality. While I sometimes have that quite common reaction to court cards in readings "Oh no, now how would a Page of X act hmm...", not with this deck! I'm kind of crushing on the King of Wands... ;)

I also find the deck fun and with the perfect amount of details. I get too ADD when there are too many details (like in the Shadowscapes), and when they're too dull it's also hard to read them, but here it's just the perfect amount of symbols and details.

I'm doing one carders with this deck in the exchange and this far I've gotten very positive feedback, so it works like a charm to read with. :)

Madrigal

Borders Missing on Majors?

I just got this today in the mail. It was shipped in a thin plastic envelope mailer, no box for the cards which were inside a very pretty organza pouch. Thankfully the cards weren't damaged but this could be an issue being so unprotected as they were. Perhaps a bubble wrap envelope at least.

Anyway, onto the cards. They're gorgeous and for a deck with such a watery theme they are *very* earthy, which may be why they appeal to all of us for whom mermaids don't usually hold a draw. The deck came with an extra Wheel card and an extra Ace of Cups which is pretty common from what I've read on various blogs and reviews.

My question to those who have this deck...6 of the Majors are missing borders on the sides ; Fool, HP, Emperor, Hierophant, Lovers and Hermit. While I normally love a borderless deck this is inconsistent with the rest of the deck and also the top and bottom borders remain so it looks unbalanced. Before I write to DD has anyone else have this issue?

Barleywine

I just got this today in the mail. It was shipped in a thin plastic envelope mailer, no box for the cards which were inside a very pretty organza pouch. Thankfully the cards weren't damaged but this could be an issue being so unprotected as they were. Perhaps a bubble wrap envelope at least.

Anyway, onto the cards. They're gorgeous and for a deck with such a watery theme they are *very* earthy, which may be why they appeal to all of us for whom mermaids don't usually hold a draw. The deck came with an extra Wheel card and an extra Ace of Cups which is pretty common from what I've read on various blogs and reviews.

My question to those who have this deck...6 of the Majors are missing borders on the sides ; Fool, HP, Emperor, Hierophant, Lovers and Hermit. While I normally love a borderless deck this is inconsistent with the rest of the deck and also the top and bottom borders remain so it looks unbalanced. Before I write to DD has anyone else have this issue?

I saw something on her blog saying she has moved to a new printer. Looks like there are some start-up issues with quality. Thanks for the heads-up, I won't be jumping on this one just yet.

Astraea

Yes, Madrigal, all the decks seem to have this issue - I searched it out on Benebell's blog (which has many, many photos of the cards) and various YouTube reviews. The funny thing is that the deck is so quirky, the border issues seem (for me) to add to its off-center charm. What does bug me - and I think others have commented on this, too - is that the cards warped within hours of taking them out of their shrink-wrap. My husband is a printer and he says it's because the ink was not allowed to dry thoroughly before the deck was packaged at the printshop. So it's not Dame Darcy's fault, and possibly only some of the decks are affected in that way. After hand-bending the cards every day for a week, they mostly flattened out (smashing them between heavy books did not do the trick).

Madrigal

Yes, Madrigal, all the decks seem to have this issue - I searched it out on Benebell's blog (which has many, many photos of the cards) and various YouTube reviews. The funny thing is that the deck is so quirky, the border issues seem (for me) to add to its off-center charm. What does bug me - and I think others have commented on this, too - is that the cards warped within hours of taking them out of their shrink-wrap. My husband is a printer and he says it's because the ink was not allowed to dry thoroughly before the deck was packaged at the printshop. So it's not Dame Darcy's fault, and possibly only some of the decks are affected in that way. After hand-bending the cards every day for a week, they mostly flattened out (smashing them between heavy books did not do the trick).

Thanks Astraea. Good to know about the warping, too, and how to deal with it. I had another look at Benebell's pics and yes, the same cards I mentioned show up similarly borderless on the sides for her, too. I guess contacting DD wouldn't be much help.

As you say the quirkiness is definitely part of its charm but I noticed the lack of borders on these cards immediately as a bit jarring where other of the cards have borders that are quite a bit thinner than the others and didn't bother me in the same way. Nevertheless holding them in my hand right now I have to say the HP is fabulous even with the mix of borderless sides and top-bottom borders.

A few other of the Majors that stand out are the Fool, Magician, Hierophant, Judgement and the World. In the Minors...stand outs are the Three of Pentacles, love this! And the King of Pentacles with his greening, earthy charm (despite being a merman!). The dynamism of the Queen of Wands, the Nine of Wands, Six of Wands, all richly done. In the Cups, The Knight of Cups, the Five of Cups. And pretty much all the Swords, the Queen is a fabulous mix of severity and quiet wounds. The Knight conveys wonderful 'into the fray' energy. The colors in the Nine and Eight are so rich and add to the haunted feeling those cards underscore. And the Three...all those eyes...fabulous.

It really is an inspired deck!

Laura Borealis

Honestly the borders don't bother me at all. They are, like Astraea said, part of the deck's off-center charm. It has a handmade feel anyway - if the borders were perfectly precise it might be a little weird.

I do think she should edit her listing so it doesn't say black velvet bag any more, since she's gone to those organza ones. I don't care about the bag myself but some buyers would.

lightpers

Hi! Bumping this thread again because there is one thing that i want to ask:

Does the tracking number that the Dame Darcy give you can be use to track the package, she sent me in 4th April 2015 but until now when i put the tracking number in usps site it says " not found" or similar like that.

Has anyone had this case also but the items still arrive despite the given number couldn't be traced or is it just my paranoid mind worrying about this gorgeous deck? *sigh

Sulis

Hi! Bumping this thread again because there is one thing that i want to ask:

Does the tracking number that the Dame Darcy give you can be use to track the package, she sent me in 4th April 2015 but until now when i put the tracking number in usps site it says " not found" or similar like that.

Has anyone had this case also but the items still arrive despite the given number couldn't be traced or is it just my paranoid mind worrying about this gorgeous deck? *sigh
Have you tried contacting her to make sure that she posted it with USPS?

lightpers

Thanks for the advice , Sulis, i already emailed her and still waiting on the response, but judging from the net that the track that starts with LCxxxxxUS can't be tracked internationally, so i guess i can't track it , but i still have faith that the deck will arrive safely to my place :)