My issues with 2 Cups as a Soulmate card

VenusRising

I am glad someone wrote about this. I never had any good thing come out of this card when I got it in a reading for myself.
Though I did ask once about a friend of mine who I love dearly, if he is my soulmate and I got this card, I think its saying yes because we have a great bond and emotional connection but thats all. If we decide to become lovers then that is a different story and a different card, right?

nisaba

BeTo1984 said:
Really? I never saw the 2 of Cups as a soulmate card; I always saw it as a lighter version of the Lovers card
Yeah, I'm with you here: I see it as even less than that: I see it as that frisson of purely physical attraction you might feel when you see someone gorgeous across a road or on the bus who you may never see again, or when someone who ultimately won't even become any kind of lover asks you to go to coffee (and talking with them may still kill any of the charm their appearance may have had). It's more about that tingle of anticipation before anything happens, or before you decide it's not going to happen, whichever way it turns in the future.

LadyKathryn

i do not always see the lovers or the 2 of cups as a soul mate card.. actually for that i tend to use the new heart of the faerie oracle.

however.. asking if someone is your soul mate is a tricky question.

simply put.. "yes" but that does not guarantee marital bilss and eternal happiness and passion

Finding the soul mate is simply finding a person who's soul , before coming into this lifetime you made a pact with.... to learn from this person.

Now to figure out what the bond or pact between the souls...well that is a different question all together.

Also finding the person you agreed to marry or spend out your lifetime with from the sprit realm, also does not ensure that you will have an easy time of it.

sometimes you have to learn the lessons before the roadway is cleared for you to betogether.. clearing the karma so to speak.

So good luck out there...and make sure you ask the "right " question...

SunChariot

The 2 of Cups simply means there is love there, that you love each other. That does not mean you are Soul Mates. Even though love is special, we can love anyone: a sister, a parent, a neice , a friend, even our dog or cat. Love in and of itself does not have to mean romantic love.

Also two people can love each other and still be very poorly matched and totally miserable together. Love is not a guarantee of happiness. If it were there would not be so many divorces. You can certainly have love and still not be at all happy together. I had one of those marriages myself once where we were destroying each other even though there was love there. Thankfully it is long over.

The 2 of Cups does not mean you are NOT soul mates. It just doesn't specify if you are or not. All it says is that there is love there. It takes much more than love to create a good relationship.

Babs

SunChariot

SirRushing said:
when I did the tarot spread and got the 2 cups, the romance and passion had long died several months prior. That was perplexing me about the 2 cups.

Exactly. If the passion and romance were still there you would have gotten The Lovers, not the 2 of Cups. The 2 of Cups is just love, not necessarily romanitic love. If the cards wanted to tell you it was a strong loving romantic relationship to me The Lovers would be the best card to tell you that.

Babs

gdtyrael

Ppl forget the Lovers card is about choices (unrelated choice) than romance or love, its the choices we make in life, sometimes a harsh, full of imaturity and insecurity, and depending on the deck you are using, this card is far from love. I would much more get a 9 of cups than the lovers and the 2 of cups together for this end.

SunChariot

gdtyrael said:
Ppl forget the Lovers card is about choices (unrelated choice) than romance or love, its the choices we make in life, sometimes a harsh, full of imaturity and insecurity, and depending on the deck you are using, this card is far from love. I would much more get a 9 of cups than the lovers and the 2 of cups together for this end.
Depends on how you read and how you use the cards. The Lovers never means choices for me. I don't use it that way. Not that there is anything wrong with using that meaning if you want to. But for me The Lovers only means true love, a romantic type of love... Including physical attraction and actually being lovers.
Bans

gdtyrael

SunChariot said:
Depends on how you read and how you use the cards. The Lovers never means choices for me. I don't use it that way. Not that there is anything wrong with using that meaning if you want to. But for me The Lovers only means true love, a romantic type of love... Including physical attraction and actually being lovers.
Bans

You are right, cause as I said in another topic, any card can mean anything anytime... so if we'r going this way, the topic lost its meaning/purpose.

If we go the other way thou to have some intersting discussion, I can see you reading the tarot in 2 ways. The first you dont look very much at the cards when you flip them, just the name on it and recall what its meaning is, otherwise you would notice some decks depicts the Lovers card not so happy as the eternal love, so it would make it impossible for you to accept that the card means that always. The other way you actually look at the cards, but the deck you use makes it look happy and shiny, or you have imposed yourself that the lovers means love no matter what, making the tarot immutable

obeygravity

Well, I guess the problem in lies with how someone perceives a soul mate. I personally believe that you can have multiples and not every single one of them will be a perfect match or someone that you'll live happily ever after with. A lot of times soul mates bring in lessons from a past life that you have to learn in this current one. And unfortunately, sometimes those lessons are really painful and brutal ones. I'm fairly certain I've come across a couple of people who were my soul mates but I wouldn't necessarily say that they're people that I'd want to end up with either. But what I can say about it is that I do feel as though those relationships have taught me incredibly important lessons about not only love but myself as well.

At any rate, I wouldn't ever actually associate the 2 of Cups as a soul mate card. I see it as more of a ... simpler kind of love or relationship. Not necessarily something that transcends time and space. I think that maybe given the context of the question, perhaps the 2 of Cups was just telling you that the two of you are in fact not soul mates, but rather two people who have created a connection in this current life. If you're looking for a soul mate the first card I would associate with it is the Lovers since they're typically scenes are two halves to a whole where as the 2 of cups to me is more like people enjoying or sharing company with one another. In fact, a lot of times, the 2 of cups comes up in readings that aren't associated with love but rather friendships for me in readings.

The times that I had done readings about the people that I thought were soul mates, I'd typically get the Lovers to reflect our relationship which is where I got this idea from. The 2 of cups would come up to discuss our relationship in general or some kind of union/reunion that was bound to happen, not necessarily the union in itself though.

gdtyreal said:
If we go the other way thou to have some intersting discussion, I can see you reading the tarot in 2 ways. The first you dont look very much at the cards when you flip them, just the name on it and recall what its meaning is, otherwise you would notice some decks depicts the Lovers card not so happy as the eternal love, so it would make it impossible for you to accept that the card means that always. The other way you actually look at the cards, but the deck you use makes it look happy and shiny, or you have imposed yourself that the lovers means love no matter what, making the tarot immutable

I do honestly feel like part of this problem is that a lot of people do falsely connect the words "love" and "soul mate" with "happy" and "perfect" and "ever lasting" but the honest truth is that it isn't always these things, let alone all of these things at once. Part of what comes with the Lovers card is the fact that you are likely to encounter trials and tribulations that test the kind of bond that you have with this person, where as with the 2 of Cups you have something that is seemingly more superficial and therefor is something that's less likely to be as turbulent as something that's shown with the Lovers. Regardless of whether or not the lovers on the deck are happy doesn't necessarily diminish the fact that love can in fact be there. Eternal love isn't something that's going to be easy. In fact I would imagine it would be significantly harder than love that doesn't last that hard because you have to work significantly harder to keep the relationship committed and consistent (or more exciting depending on the couple) so that it can last. The truth is, people aren't always going to be happy with each other. And given the context of the question or the cards surrounding it, it's possible that this Lovers card that is negative may be nothing more than a reminder to these people that love isn't easy. If you're going to go for the gold you're going to have to work for it, regardless of how bitter or unhappy you may feel.

LunarLioness

gdtyrael said:

Reading through these posts just made me start thinking how interesting it is that certain cards will have certain meanings (and may be viewed as positive or negative) for different people depending on the circumstances in which they have featured in their past readings. The funny thing is - I HATE seeing the 9 of Cups - although it has its reputation as the 'wish card' everytime its come up for me so far it's been about getting what I 'think' I want, which never seems to turn out all that well.... :)

I also see the 2 of Cups as more of a recognition of attraction, or a strong friendship. I see the Lovers as a deeper connection - something you feel drawn to on more of a soul level I guess.