Negative Aspects of the Sun?

Dragon-Capricorn

So when I started, I took out my lwb, which was more of a big wb, and memorized the card meanings given to me by someone else. Not the best method, I realize ... ;-)

The info on the Sun was short & sweet, just stating that it was the most positive card in the deck, and when it shows up, you need to make the most of it's positive aspects. I don't do reversals (I tried it, and it completely threw me off, so back to basics).

One of the spreads I am most fond of is a 5 card spread that came with the lwb: (Cross of Truth, I think)
4 3

Where 1=Basis / 2=Desire / 3=Helpful / 4=Opposing / 5=Outcome

When you get a positive card like the Sun in the #4 position, what do you think of that? Are there negative aspects to the Sun, or does it make the reading even more positive?

Just thinking out loud, I would think it would be saying that you have a lot of opposing forces against you!!! And ... errr ... good luck with that! Said in jest, of course, but that is how I would read it.

rwcarter

What happens when you get too much sun in real life? Sun burn. Shedding light on something that one wanted to stay hidden. A truth that's painful to hear. The Sun can be used to burn or scorch. When you look directly at the Sun you can be blinded.

That's for starters. :D

Rodney

lunalafey

As you say, back to the basics. With the Sun as a positive card in a 'negative' position, the first thing I would do is to look around me and see who might fall into the astrological aspect of the Sun-Leo (and then the other Fire signs, Aires and Saggitarius).
Think if there might be a person standing in your way.
Could be their Sun sign of Acendant or just a heavy influence of Leo/Fire in their natal chart.
Of course it is not always easy to find out astrological information about people around you, but if you have it it can be helpful.

Representing a person may not be the case though, has to do with your question and current situation. If there is really no one that is part of the situation, then the Sun in this position could represent what you have yet to know or learn. That there may be certain aspects of yourself that need to grow and mature more. It may be that you have been 'blined by looking into the Sun' for too long; meaning that you have possibly set your goals a bit to high for what ever resources and skills you have currently.

With out all the cards, it is hard to pin-point what direction the meaning is to take.

squeakmo9

The Sun is one of my karmic cards and it reminds me of earlier struggles in my life when growing up. Not too pleasant, but, also being able to gain insight, making life better as I mature.
So when you say...
Dragon-Capricorn said:
Just thinking out loud, I would think it would be saying that you have a lot of opposing forces against you!!! And ... errr ... good luck with that! Said in jest, of course, but that is how I would read it.
You're on the money with that, lol! The Sun can give depth and meaning to circumstances that you find as opposition. Making fine lemonade out of those nasty lemons:)

Dragon-Capricorn

That's very interesting, Rodney. I love the way you put that - literal (like my mind thinks!) It has aspects of the Moon then, in that position. Secrets revealed (of course, with The Moon, you're not entirely sure if you will like them or not). With The Sun in the Opposing position, you would assume you would NOT like anything revealed here!

Dragon-Capricorn

Hmmmm ... Using the Majors to represent people is not something I often think about. That could definitely be an avenue!!!

<<<With out all the cards, it is hard to pin-point what direction the meaning is to take.>>>

I know ...! I didn't actually do a spread with this, I just was wondering in the course of a 5-card spread with the categories I use, what impact could such a positive card have?

I was wondering if anyone would tell me that it would turn the 'opposing' category into a positive one, but it doesn't seem to be the case ;-)

rwcarter

Dragon-Capricorn said:
I know ...! I didn't actually do a spread with this, I just was wondering in the course of a 5-card spread with the categories I use, what impact could such a positive card have?

I was wondering if anyone would tell me that it would turn the 'opposing' category into a positive one, but it doesn't seem to be the case ;-)
All of the cards have positive and negative aspects to them. 3 Swords could indicate surgery. 10 Swords could indicate a chiropractic appointment (I forget who here at AT made that connection, but I love it!)

Rodney

starrystarrynight

I've had the Sun come up when someone felt he was the center of the solar system and that everything revolved around him. So, it could be a similar type of sentiment.

Or, the Sun could suggest that someone is physically somewhere sunny...and that could be negative if you are not, but wish you were.

If the card is negatively aspected (ill-dignified), it could suggest that the joyful, potent energy of the Sun upright is working against you or is somehow "clouded" from the situation.

Just a few more thoughts...

Ligator

Too much sun makes you blind...

firecatpickles

I was going to say the same thing as starry.

Ever say to somebody, "The World doesn't revolve around you!"

Or, one of my favorite quotes from the Golden Girls is when Dorothy says, "Sometimes Rose is in such a good mood in the morning, you just want to shove your grapefruit in her face...really hard."

Someone too much in a good mood all the time or a hopeless egotist could be two negative aspects of The Sun card.