New Rune Caster Here

Herodotus

Hello all,

I've been studying and practicing Tarot very seriously for over a year now, and don't plan on slowing down anytime soon.

However, I've been considering branching out into the world of runic divination and magic, and before I jump in, I was wondering if anyone here has some advice for a novice.

Thanks,
- Herodotus

mahafrins

Oh if u've mastered tarot other forms of diviniton will interest u and why not..Runes was my first interest.. elder funk runes of Rose quartz is what I bought..

Runes, Angel cards, Crystal Ball, spirit medium connect and ogum are some forms of diviniton.

I suggest you do a researh on runes read about spells etc and then buy ur set of runes and try to pick a rune a day note it's meanning then see if the rune manifested itself..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Mr. Woolery

I started with tarot, got into reading playing cards, then tried runes. I love all three systems and will use them each for different things. The tarot is sort of like a movie, the playing cards like a series of snapshots, the runes are all about the primal influences and are somewhat more abstract than the cards. With only 24 to work with (the blank being a totally modern addition and not actually a "rune" as such), there's less precision. I think for that reason that the runes actually work better to stimulate the intuition. I mean, how often have you started with the meaning of a tarot card from the book and said "well, I sort of see how that applies, but it doesn't really clear things up" or something similar? With the runes, you get an archetypal concept to address the question. I find that it stimulates my intuitive side a lot better.

So, yes, get a set of runes. Learn to read them, then just start playing with them. Fascinating.

-Patrick

Herodotus

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

I've been interested in runes for a long time (I've been reading mythology since long before I started practicing divination, and Norse is my favorite), but have been hesitant in the past to actually pick up a set.
Last week, for some inexplicable reason, that hesitation vanished.

Still don't have my runes yet, though.

MandMaud

I'll follow this thread in case someone recommends a good starter book, or explains the difference between the various "branches" of rune divination. :) I'm interested to learn more about the English (Anglo-Saxon) runes, but almost everything talks about the Norse system.

I've always been interested in rune divination and never taken much action, though I do have a set I made by writing on white pebbles (sold for decorating flower beds) with a gold gel pen (sold for writing Christmas cards etc). My knowledge extends to leaflets picked up here and there, that kind of superficial learning.

There is a runes forum out there somewhere, but not very active, I recently stopped getting the emails. If I still had them I could have told you the name, sorry! Oh hang on - nope, it will have to wait till I'm well (flu this week) as the first search brings up nothing but roleplaying games.

Quite a few books on Amazon but from the free samples (kindle) I couldn't get enough of an idea to make my mind up, and I don't want to buy half a dozen in the hopes of one of them suiting me.

This http://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm is linguistics, not divination, but still interesting to me (but then languages are "my thing" :)).

MandMaud

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

I've been interested in runes for a long time (I've been reading mythology since long before I started practicing divination, and Norse is my favorite), but have been hesitant in the past to actually pick up a set.
Last week, for some inexplicable reason, that hesitation vanished.

Still don't have my runes yet, though.

I'm the same about waiting for the right moment! My right moment is still in the future, but I know it will hit me one day and then a phase of being obsessed until I know what I'm doing. It's how these things decide their own timing.

violetdaisy

*Raises hand as novice*

I do have a set of runes - from Magicaldruid - not the super expensive amazing ones with the dragon backs....but I think they were still around $40. I'm in the study phase, and actually have multiple note cards about each rune from a couple of books I read and my only online reference thus far is runesecrets.com.

I also made a small set from the kind of "clay" you bake in the oven because while I don't want to use those for divination I DO want to be able to have a reminder throughout the day with me when I'm out and about and I don't want to fret about losing the thing.

I also know there are more runes than the Futhark but that's the most common so that's where I'm starting. It may be enough to finish there - since I'm also going to do Ogham at some point.

I guess my approach, as with any divination thing, is read all you can, learn what you can, pick the ideas that make sense to you and discard the rest (not just the ideas you like - but all of the ones that make sense lol)

MandMaud

Runesecrets! That's the forum I was trying to remember. :) Run by Tyriel who wrote the book. I decided it was a lot of money for a book I may not find useful. I'm fussy that way. :) If it had an ebook version it would be easier to tell.

rachelcat

Here's a good site that I've found quite helpful: http://sunnyway.com/runes/
It has the rune poems. (Primary sources are always good to check out.)

Galaxy Runes app also has the rune poems (and other interesting correspondences). Couldn't be more convenient!

Herodotus

Thanks for the link Rachelcat, it looks great!