Night Hag?

BrightEye

I've had a few dreams, very few admittedly, where something was sitting on my back or on my chest.

I like to sleep on my tummy, and a couple of times I dreamt that an entity was sitting on my back and then pulling me out of bed and around my apartment. I felt completely helpless and powerless, well scary. I felt the entity that was present then was definitely negative, hostile.

Last night I dreamt I was lying on my back (I was in reality too) and some entities, at least two, were on top of me trying to repeatedly grab at my face. Again, I felt powerless. But I didn't feel the two entities were negative. I was scared alright but I felt they were trying to get my attention. I don't know what about though.

I know there is a lot of debate about the scientific causes of night hags and hag riding, like sleep paralysis, which I believe is what I experienced. I found the occurrences strangely real, as though I wasn't really asleep. I can't say whether I was dreaming or not and was wondering whether anyone has any thoughts?

seven stars

I've never had it happen to me personally, but tons of people experience this. Movies made about it, books written about it, lots of theories. I think it's like most things, you can really psyche yourself out & convince yourself it's something supernatural, or you can go with the theory that it's some sort of weird human brain chemistry neuro-connection thing going on. From what I understand it's pretty scary, have you mentioned it to your doctor?

Attachments

• The_Nightmare.jpg
    The_Nightmare.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 129

Padma

I have an entity in my spare bedroom who does the same to anyone sleeping there. I have tried all methods to be rid of it, to no avail...

skywatching

Sleep paralysis

I've had episodes of sleep paralysis for many years, it is terrifying stuff. It's what happens when you have a disturbed REM sleep cycle and when you are coming out of a dream you have what's called hypnagogic hallucinations.

I mostly get sleep paralysis if I haven't been getting enough sleep and am exhausted. It mainly occurs when I'm laying on my stomach and it feels like someone is laying on top of me. I have only hallucinated once when I was laying on my back and it was some alien like creature, yeah no thank you !! LOL :) I can do without the hallucinations, because your still kind of dreaming that's why they seem so real.

The plus side of sleep paralysis if you can become aware that's what is happening to you and stay calm, you can then go into lucid dreaming or astral travel. Last time I had it I actually had a lucid dream.

Flames

Yes, I've experienced this from time to time except for me, I don't feel that something is sitting on my chest. I feel something is touching me - my arms, legs, breasts - and there's a lot of squeezing. And yes, it's terrifying. The first time I had this experience, though I was afraid, I understood intuitively that whatever this 'thing' was, it wasn't outside of me. Everything that was happening was coming from inside - like being in a dream. It feels like I'm in between states, like being in a 'waking' dream. I've experienced lucid dreams for most of my life and I feel this is one of the reasons why I'm not as terrified as I used to be when I experience sleep paralysis. There's something familiar about that 'space'.

I experienced sleep paralysis a couple of weeks ago and I think it's because I felt exhausted and stressed or drained, similar to what Jezzabelle explained. As I started to experience the 'symptoms' again, and though it was hard to move, I fought with this 'thing' and its hands. Sure, they weren't my physical hands I was using but they were MY 'sense' of hands, nonetheless. I poked, scratched and dug my nails into its arms/hands, etc. It takes a lot of might. I can't 'see' it. I am able to see the room I'm in, and the bed I'm lying on, etc, but I don't see a figure. I only 'feel' it. Sometimes, I'll force myself to 'wake up' at the first sign of discomfort which is very very difficult to do but once I wake up, I try to ease into sleep again, and of course, the experience starts up again so I try to pull myself out of it once more until I create a 'break' in the pattern or cycle and then I fall asleep and stay asleep without the nightmare surfacing. And this is how I've dealt with this over the years. I try not to give it any power. I don't believe it's an entity or something 'external'. I feel like my brain is processing and working stuff out and I get an opportunity to do the same. But that's just me.

http://www.castleofspirits.com/sleepparalysis.html

BrightEye

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. As I was reading up on the possible causes, I did think 'yes, I'm very exhausted at the moment', and what some of you've said seems to confirm that. I've never had reason to mention it to a doctor. I don't have it often and it's not debilitating.

Starri Knytes

I believe Night Hags tend to leave marks as well. You wake up with new bruises or scratches. I wake with both occasionally but with no memory of where they came from.

The feeling of someone sitting on your back or the air being squeezed from you can come with weight gain. Especially if you sleep on your stomach.

As the body reaches complete relaxation the muscles that help support weight now add to it pressing down on the rib cage and squeezing the lungs. The subconscious is aware of this as it happens, but in a deep state of sleep might not be enough to fully wake you.

I hope you get this sorted out soon sweetie.

Starri Knytes

I have an entity in my spare bedroom who does the same to anyone sleeping there. I have tried all methods to be rid of it, to no avail...
How fun is THAT! I would love a night in that room.

BrightEye

I believe Night Hags tend to leave marks as well. You wake up with new bruises or scratches. I wake with both occasionally but with no memory of where they came from.
The feeling of someone sitting on your back or the air being squeezed from you can come with weight gain. Especially if you sleep on your stomach.

As the body reaches complete relaxation the muscles that help support weight now add to it pressing down on the rib cage and squeezing the lungs. The subconscious is aware of this as it happens, but in a deep state of sleep might not be enough to fully wake you.

I hope you get this sorted out soon sweetie.

Lol, if I've put on weight, I was still light enough to be lifted out of bed and wheeled around the house.

Starri Knytes

Lol, if I've put on weight, I was still light enough to be lifted out of bed and wheeled around the house.
Just a suggestion not an accusation sweetie.[emoji813]