Nine of Cups - Looking for additional keywords

Kiata

I once read that the 9 of Cups could represent a party where no one turned up...

Did you ever wonder why the fellow generally depicted on the card is all alone?

FWIW

oh, I love that. yes, my friend after abstinence going out on the piss again on his own, just surrounded by the by other drinkers in the pub. very lonely but ah so content .

magicjack

nine of cups keywords

This card tells me to appreciate and be proud of what u have, whether its a little or a lot. He looks like he has been collecting his cups for some time and little by little, to him, he now has a fortune. ... Since fortune tellers call this the wish card, I also tell the querent to make a small wish. I agree, SELF SATISFACTION is a good keyword.

The Standing Stone

9 of cups for me is all about wishes gained,satisfaction, material and emotional attainment, victory, prosperity, happy future, contentment, emphaty and understanding, fulfilment of a dream, good health, happiness, ability to assimilate learning, self-satisfaction, enjoyment of life, intuition is accurate, serendipitous events lead to fulfilment of dreams, enjoying the kindness of others.

What a lovely card!! :)

ChristianReader

Someone wanting sex or has sensual feelings for you ....Engaging in sensual carnal pleasures

RunningWild

The Rider-Waite Nine of Cups illustrates the Golden Dawn divinatory meaning (among other things). The title of the card is Lord of Material Happiness. Meaning (from Book T): "Complete and perfect realization of pleasure and happiness, almost perfect; self-praise, vanity, conceit, much talking of self, yet kind and lovable, and may be self-denying therewith. High-minded, not easily satisfied with small and limited ideas. Apt to be maligned through too much self-assumption. A good and generous, but sometimes foolish nature."

The Rider-Waite image makes me think of the Shakespearean character Sir John Falstaff.

Ok, so there's a realization involved, an awareness. I like that take on it. But can you explain more about "Lord of Material Happiness"?

Ive often had this card come up to say " you wish" or "dream on"

This is great! Thank you!

This card tells me to appreciate and be proud of what u have, whether its a little or a lot. He looks like he has been collecting his cups for some time and little by little, to him, he now has a fortune. ... Since fortune tellers call this the wish card, I also tell the querent to make a small wish. I agree, SELF SATISFACTION is a good keyword.

I would never have thought to tell a querent to make a wish. Thank you, another interesting ideal.

Someone wanting sex or has sensual feelings for you ....Engaging in sensual carnal pleasures

This is good as well, though I have to admit that "carnal pleasures" would likely never come to my mind. Thank you for your input.

Thanks to all who've responded so far. You've given me some new interpretations to consider.

WalesWoman

9 of cups for me is all about wishes gained,satisfaction, material and emotional attainment, victory, prosperity, happy future, contentment, emphaty and understanding, fulfilment of a dream, good health, happiness, ability to assimilate learning, self-satisfaction, enjoyment of life, intuition is accurate, serendipitous events lead to fulfilment of dreams, enjoying the kindness of others.

What a lovely card!! :)

This is much like how I see 9 Cups, I don't get that whole smug, negative, self indulgent, selfish, braggy thing with this card, since it seems it's about sharing the wealth from a generous heart, rather than shoving peoples faces in it. Why do people make self-satisfaction sound like a bad thing, unless it's completely selfish self gratification at the expense of others and/or hedonistic?

Since it's a 9 there is an incompleteness to it, in the RWS card, he's got the table set and is waiting for the guests to show up. So I often think of the planning, preparation and anticipation of what is yet to come to make it complete and a cause to celebrate.

So my Keywords for this card are:

Anticipation
Celebration
Sharing
Abundance
Gatherings
Preparation
Generosity
Counting your blessings
Self Satisfaction
Affirmation
Self Esteem
Emotional Growth
Close but Not quite there yet /Incompletion
A need to share with
Blessings

RunningWild

Those are helpful too, WalesWoman, thank you.

Padma

***I dug this thread up on Google search, having read a few others already from the forum****PLEASE NOTE I HAVE HIJACKED AN OLD THREAD ON THE SAME CARD :) SO AS TO NOT MAKE MANY UNNECESSARY NEW THREADS!***** (thanks, RunningWild ;) )

I used to always think of this as the wish card, when I first learned - as in, "your wishes are granted" or "ask, and you shall receive!" I always thought of it as a very positive card.

But recently I have noted that the artwork on this card - in many of my decks - has nothing really that positive going for it. The innkeeper jealously guards his cups in the RWS; or else (as in the Golden by Kat Black) there is a stern looking Mother Mary guarding all those cups - as though to say, "you can have some happiness, but you have to ask me first" or, "it will take a miracle to get what you are wishing for".

In the Tarot of the Sevenfold mystery by R. Place, it shows a ram standing on top of all those cups - as though to say, "my conquest! My win! And I am going to be really pushy about it!" It's not a feel-good card.

While there are already loads of good meanings in this thread for the 9 Cups, I was wondering if anyone else could contribute their views/experiences? Have you ever felt queasy about it, or put off by the art for it in your deck...? Do you truly think it is a feel-good card?

GlitterNova

Do a google search on Tarot Numerology and read about what the nines represent, then apply that to the suit of cups (I'd link a couple of nice sites but I'm on my phone). Personally, I see all the nines as the epitome of the individual completion of the goals of the suit. So the nine of cups would stand for complete personal emotional gratification. It is being completely satisfied by your emotional state. You've come out of the creative energies of the 1-3s, the struggles of the 4-5s, and the endurance of the 6-8s and now you can sit back and reflect on what you've learned.