peacock feathers

NightQueen

I loveee peacock feathers, I am just in awe of their beauty and I have always wondered why Im so drawn to them, does anyone know what do peackocks actually symbolise?

StellarMyst

Saint Augustine once wrote thatthe Peacock symbolizes Eternal Life, because the flesh of the bird does not decay at all when it dies.

Hope this helps. ;)

Blessings,

StellarMyst

nanab

Here is what the peacock symbolises- wholeness, dignity, beauty, recognition, self assurance and pride. Hope this helps.

NightQueen

wow thankyou! they are very strong meanings, I once heard they may be bad luck to, but I refuse to see anything negative in something so beautiful to me!

NightQueen

StellarMyst said:
Saint Augustine once wrote thatthe Peacock symbolizes Eternal Life, because the flesh of the bird does not decay at all when it dies.

Hope this helps. ;)

Blessings,

StellarMyst
thats amazing, I didn't know that!

NightQueen

AJ said:
I'd like to think I'm not superstitious :) but I was told when I was young that having peacock feathers in the house was bad luck. I don't believe it...but....I don't have any peacock feathers in the house.

A google search for peacock feather symbology brings back this list
http://www.google.com/search?q=peac...t:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Peacock In Celtic tradition, the peacock is a symbol of splendor. This association is quite obvious from the strutting and vain behavior of the male peacock, as he delights in displaying his beautiful tail feathers. In the Book of Kells, a beautiful medieval book written and illustrated by Irish monks, the peacock is a symbol of purity, prosperity and health. Peacock feathers can be used as charms to bring the bearer dignity, beauty, recognition, self-assurance and pride.

well you learn something new every day! Thankyou

Milfoil

Peacocks originate from India and the surrounding region where the feathers are used for different spiritual reasons. In Nepal the feathers are used in the headresses of Shamans. They are used to temporarily recreate the rainbow bridge between heaven and earth which was shattered by sorcery a long time ago.

In Slovenia and other Mid European countries, peacock feathers are considered bad luck but owning peacocks is considered to be very prestigous and lucky (go figure!). They are kept as pets on farms and sometimes eaten at rare celebrations.

Here in the UK, they are often held to be bad luck because the eye could be used to spy on the individual who owned the feather.

NightQueen

very interesting thanks Milfoil, there are so many interpretations I love them regardless they are so pretty:)

memries

Peacocks are a very important symbol of Spirituality as well. There is much written about them that you can find.

Years ago I had a surreal dream of a path with a peacock with its tail displayed standing in my way on the path. I did not realize at the time I had seen the beginning of a new spiritual path for me. It has grown and grown so do search the myriad meanings out of Peacock.

There is nothing bad about Peacock only the things people fear when they look within themselves.