Personal experiences of "Strength"

Alex

Crisis management

Psychologists have long recognized the fact that some people put themselves in dangerous situations every once in a while, situations that require an inordinate amount of strength and self-control. People who are addicted to crisis management are often unstable and have grown up in disfunctional families. Regular crisis give them a sense of control and mastery, outside admiration and a good excuse to go through life without accomplishing much.

Crisis management strategies could fit, in my oppinion, a lower meaning for Strenght. I watched it so often in my own family. My dad failed a total of 7 businesses he had started, and while I was growing up he hit bottom (to the point we had to move in with grand parents) six times. Twice he had serious charges pressed against him and more than once police hit at our door with court orders to take him. Being a lawyer himself, he never went to jail, but we all knew he deserved it a couple of times. In the meanwhile, mother would take the reigns of the family and sustain all of us. It has always puzzled me the fact that she strick with father no matter how many times he failed us, and how much pride she seemed to take out of having people tell her how strong she is. "You are a strong woman", all would say, but the fact is that she was scared to death to break free from that cycle. Looking back, not only she, but her mother, who was married with a man who was often unemployed, and her grandmother, who had been married with an alcoholic, I can see a family illness, generations of "strong women" who were in fact very weak, their own way.

I think there are lower and higher meanings of "Strength", and the boundaries are not always very clear. I myself have a hard time sometimes, to decide whether I'm being strong or just stupid, holding onto something hopeless out of fear.

Alex.

Inana

I havent read all the posts, so maybe this is already said.

Strength, in my personal experiences is the need on have inner strenght and courage. It implies that its also needed lots of patience to not surrender letting go oneself down.
So its simply about standing and thinking you can do it all the time.

Thats what is meaning strength in my personal life just now. And i'm getting a lot this card since days ago.

Butterfly

I know this is about symbolism- but hey ;-)
The strength doesn't just lie with the woman. Notice she isn't really holding the lion too closely. He could bite her and strike out if he wanted to- so perhaps part of the strength card is knowing you have the power and dominance if you so choose, but being strong enough within yourself to be able to control it.
For instance, you have the juiciest bit of gossip to bring a nasty co-worker down, but have enough inner strength not to lower youself to their level.

LeahG

Wow

Thank you everyone for your thoughts/personal experiences - they are really helping me to appreciate this card....keep them coming...wil reply properly in next couple of days - frantic with work and study at the moment so apologise for not posting replies - but have been doing a quick skim/read - indepth will be over the coming weekend...

Cheers

emmasiggins

animal instincts

kitty, i love this card for a variety of reasons. this is a very, very literal interpretation but one which resonates for me. this a card about mental telepathy as in animal instincts. this card 'feels' this way to me in terms of being able to think instinctively and/or intuitively. i am very attached to animals and now have three cats. a very gentle ten year transition from being a dog person to a cat person. i've gained so much from my animals in an uninterrupted thirty year span and with each have found something different yet the same.

i find so much telepathic empathy and understanding and also Strength with the animals. a quiet kind of knowing on their part which is instinctive and which often times transfers to me, especially when i'm not strong myself.

people who 'know without knowing' have strength which transends talk and game playing.

MareSaturni

Wow, what an interesting thread! Alex, your story definitely tells a lot about the Strength card...the Strength isn't made of fear (ie. your mom 'keeping' the family for fear of breaking free from this situations).

As a complement to the answers already given, the Strength, for me, also shows a moment that you must use gentleness in order to have the...power, lets say. Some equal strength with physical or financial strength, when those actually may just be masks to hide a weak person.
Strength is when the person can make the lion surrender with bare hands. Gentle hands, not violent guns. Like this person who owns a small business and is the boss not only because he's the owner and has more money, but also because he has managed to conquer his employees respect by being gentle and yet firm.
The Strength is a balance card. The woman isn't hurting the lion, but at the same time, she is holding it's jaws firmly. Like Thirteen said, SHE has the power and she doesn't need to prove it but being violent.

:TPW Yuko

Vadella

Alex said:
Sometimes I think I'm in this life to learn the meaning of that card.

A lone struggle with little outside support. In fact I do have outside support. My family every once in a while call me to make sure that, in case I'm not feeling miserable enough, they give me a hand.

So in that case Strength is simply a struggle to live your life while being consistently disaproved and manipulated to give it up on anything that belongs to you. Also, the ability to maintain some self-control that will prevent you from telling people what you really wish you could tell them, but you know you can't cause it will reward them with even more misery brought upon you.

Hey! That's my life theme! haha Yeah, you explained it. It seems the family has finally supported me though... it only took 28 years. Takes others longer... sometimes not at all. It's a sad thing.

In answer to the question:

In my strength year I noticed that I had more power over my actions than in prior. I stopped trying to communicate with someone. It was very hard but I maintained my want. I had the strength to overcome what I would normally do, that I felt was kind of wrong.... even though I felt I was right also. lol I hope I didn't confuse you.

Fulgour

I came across this image a while ago and it had a powerful effect.
The notion of "Strength" wresting each life-giving grain of wheat
from the fields after the scorching reign of a blazing Leo Summer:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/tob/img/wiar11.jpg

I think it's good to remember that "La Force" means "Strength"
and not the Cardinal Virtue of Fortitude ~ very, very different.

Moonbow

This card has cropped up at times when I know it means 'hang on in there'. To me it isn't just a card of inner strength but also one of waiting and patience. I also do see a connection to the cardinal virtue of fortitude at times, which surely means courage of spirit. It can be a calming card telling us to take our time and be strong in the waiting.

Moonbow*

psychic sue

Moonbow* said:
This card has cropped up at times when I know it means 'hang on in there'. To me it isn't just a card of inner strength but also one of waiting and patience. I also do see a connection to the cardinal virtue of fortitude at times, which surely means courage of spirit. It can be a calming card telling us to take our time and be strong in the waiting.

Moonbow*

I agree entirely with Moonbow's take on this. I think it's also about learning to be indepenent (esp in young people's readings) - learn to take on that lion with your own bare hands.