Playing Cards: The Original Divinatory Tool of the Ancients?

Satori

Was wondering what folks think about this idea set forth in the book "The Playing Card Oracles, A Source Book for Divination" by Ana Cortez and C. J. Freeman:

C.J. Freeman said:
For some reason, Tarot cards, which were originally created for card games, have evolved into a fortune-telling deck. On the other hand, playing cards, with their built-in calendar designed for divination, are used to play a variety of popular games, none of which involve divination. Ahh, the irony of it all!

I'm just beginning my studies into playing cards, and my interest has been fired and captured by the illustrated deck in the Playing Card Oracles. The accompanying book is fascinating. I wonder what some of our scholars over here think of the system this father-daughter team put forth, and if you have read the book or used the cards.

The information on geomancy is very new to me, and I've just used it to great affect in a reading this morning. Seems I'm not alone in my interest in playing cards as suddenly there are a few new topics here to peruse. Indeed I shall read the article kwaw posted by Singer, and welcome any and all ideas here about playing cards in general.

Many thanks!

Satori

Huck

Just commenting:
"On the other hand, playing cards, with their built-in calendar designed for divination, are used to play a variety of popular games, none of which involve divination. Ahh, the irony of it all!"

It's not true, that the usual playing cards are not used for divination. Perhaps the English-language countries have a stronger preference for Tarot. Just in Germany is running a late TV-show with card-readers. Mostly they don't use Tarot-cards, but others. Lenormand, Kipper and also normal playing cards.

We've a collection of other Fortune telling decks in the Museum, some of them show a connection between fortune telling motifs and normal playing cards, just proving, that playing cards could be used also.

http://trionfi.com/l-fortune-telling-cartomancy-divination-cards/

Satori

Yeah, I think he was making a sweeping statement there too. Mainstream folk recognize a Tarot as a divinatory tool. They do not recognize that the playing card deck they all have in the junk drawer is every bit as much a magical tool, if not more. I think perhaps this is what he may have meant. Far be it for me to speak for this person, but perhaps this was his intent.

What had intrigued me about the quote was that he alludes to the playing card deck as having been engineered for divination with it's basis in the Lunar Calendar. Tarot's origins as a gaming deck that evolved into a divinatory tool perhaps doesn't have the same lofty origins, but has had greatness thrust upon it.

It does have a certain irony, but that is just me. I think I get what he is trying to say. I don't have the research to support this assertion. So I think I was sort of throwing down the gauntlet here to see if some kind of discussion ensued.

Thanks for responding to the thread Huck. I stumble into the Historical forum every so often and sometimes the halls are long and dark and quiet!

MareSaturni

Hi!

Uhhh, i love this book & the deck! 'The Playing Cards Oracles' is my love! I love it so much i own three copies of the deck :p

Well, i own a deck named tarot that is the deck used for the french game called 'tarot'. Not for divination. It has 21 trumps, but in my deck they look nothing like the divination tarot. They seem more to be pictures of people's everyday life. I do believe that Tarot might have been first a game, that later, thanks to these different & interesting cards (the trumps), evolved into a divination tool.

Oh yes, instead of havign only three court figures, as a normal deck, this 'French Tarot' game deck comes with an extra: the knight. And it has a joker, only one, called 'The Fool' - but he is not a part of the trumps.

Here in Brazil, though a lot of people read tarot (it's getting more and more 'famous'), many fortune tellers work with Lenormand (called here 'Baralho Cigano' - Gypsy Deck). Playing cards aren't commonly used for divination here, because most of people think of it only as a 'game deck'. But i have been using it (following Ana Cortez and C.J. Freeman's method) and the results have been as satisfactory as the ones i get with my favorite tarot deck.

In the end, i don't think the tool matters. If you believe that three different shaped stones are an oracle, who's to say that you are wrong? I don't think the oracles should 'compete' between themselves to see which is more legitimate in it's art. It's all in the reader...

Miss Y.

lark

Got the book and deck recently and am just having the best time with it...what a wonderful book...I just finished reading it and I'm going to go back over it again.
A friend came over today and I did a timing reading for her about a new house and a move...also did one for myself about a personal matter and it was so right on that she was shreiking with laughter as I was reading the book meanings to her.

A agree with what you're saying Satori, I read it the same way...that we aren't aware of how magical that little playing card deck is we have thrown in the junk drawer.

Satori

Hi lark,
I love the book myself. Some of the cards...eh. But I admit I can't leave it alone. I like the treatment of the 10's and the 7's are pretty wild.

I'm going to be looking more at the lunar calendar and also at the numbers. I wondered how he tweaked the system or if the numbers are fairly consistent across playing card deck schools of thought...if such a thing exists!

I have visions of clubs, hearts, spades and diamonds dancing in my head!

lark

I started with playing cards, but I never used a calendar system ..so that is all new to me, but makes sense.
i'm keeping track of all the timing preditions to see how close they come...if it turns out to be acurate...this little deck will be on my fair table....so many people ask timing questions, it would be fantastic to have a new system to offer them.

Satori

I love the geomantic observations as well. They add such a lovely dimension to the reading. I'm having a set of cards laminated with the geomantic symbols and definitions on them, as well as the astrological symbols tied to their geomantic partners.

I have not gotten through the entire book yet, but I just keep picking it up and reading the card defs, the interpretation bit and the end part. I find it all endlessly fascinating. I'm also looking at the Astro-Mythological Lenormand deck. TG has one, and it has the geomantic symbols on some of the cards, as well as some astrological info. I'm just intrigued by the whole geomantic pov.

lark

Satori said:
I love the geomantic observations as well. They add such a lovely dimension to the reading. I'm having a set of cards laminated with the geomantic symbols and definitions on them, as well as the astrological symbols tied to their geomantic partners.
That's a very good idea I think i'll do the same!
Although there is something very satisfying about figuring them out and making the little star designs...but having them printed out on cards would be faster during readings for others.

Satori said:
I have not gotten through the entire book yet, but I just keep picking it up and reading the card defs, the interpretation bit and the end part. I find it all endlessly fascinating. I'm also looking at the Astro-Mythological Lenormand deck. TG has one, and it has the geomantic symbols on some of the cards, as well as some astrological info. I'm just intrigued by the whole geomantic pov.
Wait untill you add it to a reading....like I said I've only done 2 readings so far, but the geomantic symbols add a real depth to the reading.

6 Haunted Days

It's so nice to see others finally interested in the system! I bought this last December and it's been a glorious love affair ever since.

I found the book endlessly fascinating, the way she writes (and her dad's little poems and stories) is very lyrical and poetic, very charming. I think I've read this book cover to cover about 6x.

My spread of choice from the book is the Bridge, it's very powerful! Something about this system just connected with me and learning the meanings and the in-depth geomancy was very easy and effortless, I took to it like a duck to water. As Lark said there is something very satisfying about making the star patterns and coming up with the right name. Though, there are so few, you will learn them quickly!

I don't know about others, but don't you love the layout of the book? The red ink is so cool (for lack of a better word :)). Now I love the cards themselves, they're very striking and unforgettable, 5 of Spades (Circle of Crows) and 9 of Spades (Throne of Spiders) are among my favourites, I love Crows! Oh and the Wind Cape, the Quuen of Clubs is very beautiful. I think the court cards in here are really profound and far-reaching. I know some didn't like the colours used in the cards, but I love them! The buttercream yellow with those greys, whites, reds and blacks create a very unique visual, and to me lend power to the images.

Obviously, yes, I am ga-ga for this playing card system and deck. No matter what Tarot I am working with, since last December this deck and book have been a constant companion. It lends itself well to quick uncluttered readings. I never really talked about this set, cuz I did when I first got it, but there was no interest. So happy to see some!

Miss 6