Pulling cards from the deck

Pippa

Are there techniques for pulling cards from the deck?

I usually shuffle, fan the cards in one hand and pull a card face down from the deck as I concentrate on the topic of concern. I don't shuffle once I start pulling cards.

The other technique I use in single card of interest situations is cutting a card out of the deck.

Michael

I think whichever method works for you. Some people shuffle and cut, others just shuffle and pull cards from the fanned out deck while others spread the entire deck on a table and choose from them.

Just use whichever method works for you. :)

Sulis

As Michael has said - it's whatever works for you really.

I shuffle, cut the deck into three stacks which I then put back together and fan out. I then choose my cards randomly from the fan.

I used to deal from the top of the stack but found that you need to shuffle for ages that way so I started using a fan.

Sulis xx

fairyhedgehog

I just treat them like playing cards: shuffle well, then deal.

Each to their own, eh?

Pippa

Thanks for Sharing

Thanks for letting me know your techniques. I was wondering what was behind cutting the deck in 3? Is there a significant link to the number? Just wondering. It struck me as interesting.

Sulis

Pippa said:
I was wondering what was behind cutting the deck in 3? Is there a significant link to the number? Just wondering. It struck me as interesting.

Hi Pippa,

It's just habit.

When I first started using tarot the book I was reading (can't remember which one) said shuffle and cut the deck into 3 stacks from right to left - I've done it that way ever since :) Nothing mystical or mysterious there.

Sulis xx

Astrum_Stultas

I'm new to Tarot, but I find I get very accurate readings if I cut the deck for one card, pull the card out on top, then replace the deck. I keep doing this until I have all the cards in the reading...but if I'm not extremely focused, even with the slightest distraction, the entire thing gets messed up.

Again, whatever works for you is fine...that seems to be the general rule of Tarot.

cosmic_bubble

:eek:)

i think my technique varies :) sometimes i like to fan them across in a line and pick from there...but mostly i tend to hold the deck in my hand (after shuffling) and then close my eyes or look straight ahead and work my way through the deck (holding one card at a time for a short while) until i feel that i have drawn the right ones..and then turning them over..

:)

lilacblooms

I always used to wonder about this.......ive read in quite a few places that after shuffling you must take care to cut with your left hand. As for choosing the cards i guess one can either simply deal them out or fan out to pick cards.......whatevers your comfort zone........

starrystarrynight

I never cut the deck with my left hand...

As for cutting into three piles and then picking them back up in whatever order--this, I have read is an ancient ritual having to do with "blessing" the deck--asking wisdom from God/dess of Wisdom. And getting "permission" to get a good reading out of the cards.