Smell the cards

Sphinxmoth

Disa said:
I keep scented votives, incense, and a few essential oils in the chest where I store all my magical goodies. My cards, their bags, the books, and the spread cloths all end up smelling a bit like scents of the things I store them with.

I have a cabinet like that, too, with candles and incenses and
magical bits n' stuff.
When I got a copy of the Light and Shadow Tarot, I thought the printer's
ink smell was *very* objectionable (the only deck I have gotten so far that
I have had that problem with). I spread the cards out all over the cabinet,
kept them closed up in there for .. well, i think a real long time. I was in
no hurry, and they weren't doing any harm in the cabinet. That worked for
me.

mollymawk

Spread out on paper towels or such with a layer of baking soda under them.

I'm a little reticent to use incense, etc., on cards, but a hint of sage, lavender or rosewood in the baking soda can be nice--after the ink/solvent smell is gone.

YDM42

Fabric Softner Sheets work wonders.

gregory

Thanks ! I never thought of that. Off to shut one in with them now !

6 Haunted Days

Annabelle said:
Yes, I have a recent printing of the Morgan Greer, and it does stink. Smells heavily of chemicals, as do several other recently-printed U.S. Games decks that I own (the Forest Folklore also comes to mind).

I'm surprised to hear you mention the Fey, though, as that's a Lo Scarabeo deck, and my experience so far with their decks is that they don't smell like anything, even when new-right-out-of-the-wrapper.

Not true! I got the Harmonious from LoS last September and it stunk so bad I couldn't use it, like burnt rubber. On the other hand the scent of the new Morgan-Greer I throughly loved.

Sulis

I've just bought the Lo Scarabeo Tarot of the Master and it stinks of chemicals - very unpleasant.

This is one of the reasons why I much prefer to buy older decks instead of brand new ones.

shellz

I love the smell of my cards. They smell like brand new books.

tarotgirlfl

Hi Joey, I was trying to remember what oil it was you gave us to use that first day in Tarot class to scent up our cards. The Nag Champa Oil doesn't sound familiar to me. Could it have been something else? I can't remember.
Just curious,
Thanks.
~Lauren

Joermit said:
Here's a trick that works well for me...

With any new deck I get I always annoint them with my favorite oil (Sun's Eye Nag Champa)... I put a couple drops on my hands and rub them together a lot to spread out the oil and let it soak into my skin... once my hands smell all Champaish... I annoint my deck... I shuffle them again and again... touching each card... praying over them... playing with them... I keep shuffling and shuffling and such... it's the way I sorta break them in.... I find any aroma the cards may have had is replaced with a nice new smell... and the oil I use doesn't stick to the cards or leave a residue or make them stick together or anything... be careful not to use too much oil... I overdid it once and had to let the deck air for a bit, but still, it was a nicer smell than the chemically one some decks seem to have... hope this helps...

Joey

wytchwood

Sulis said:
I've just bought the Lo Scarabeo Tarot of the Master and it stinks of chemicals - very unpleasant.

This is one of the reasons why I much prefer to buy older decks instead of brand new ones.

Oh so do I, Sulis, older decks are lovely. I keep a packet of joss sticks in the box where I keep my decks now, it infuses them with a lovely scent, but I suppose there are a few US Games decks which no amount of fragrance could penetrate!! lol

Zoe xx

sleepingcat

I was waiting for the lunatic to pop up in this thread.

Seargants Green Flea Shampoo for Dogs. That's what it smells like. Complete with the wet dog it goes on. XD

living in my herbs and insense drawer changed it's odor to somthing a little easier to get along with.

I think playing with them on dry earth really helped too.