So many decks, so little time--how to connect?

darwinia

There is Always Time Awaiting

I used to be astonished that people could collect more than 5 tarot decks; I now have 63 tarot decks and another 55 oracles, odd decks and playing cards. I'll use anything for insight or study--many themed decks can lead you to discover art, literature, science, and history whether they are strictly tarot or not.

I have some methods that may work for you.

1) Single Card Daily Draws: Any deck, any day, but sit down and actually examine it. We tend to scan things with our eyes--forget that--LOOK. Write your observations before looking at the book. If it's a particular character in history or mythology, do some online research and cut and paste the information into a general e-mail. Then re-write what you find in order to assimilate the information yourself. Use the information to connect the card to YOU and your life situation. Write a little study and scan the card in and place it at the end of your insights. Print it.

2) Concept Art Draws - All aces or all pips--something like that, or even a single card or keyword on a card that you are drawn to. Whatever you feel like using. Then look at the cards, see the details, motifs, symbolism and draw a mandala with them using these colours and motifs. Surprising what you see when you have to draw it yourself--cha-ching, cha-ching goes the processor in your head, this leaf is kind of interesting, I never noticed that thing in the corner. Also your piece of art will be reflective of how you feel and things you are working through. Carl Jung drew a mandala every day, which was the background of his subsequent observations about the meaning of symbolism in what his patients drew. The idea is to do something spontaneously though--no planning of pretty pictures, just let your mind respond to the cards. If it doesn't mean anything to you today, I promise that eventually it will.

I used this idea when responding to the death of one of my cats. I was completely rattled, he died a horrible, sudden death with much pain, so I pulled a card and just set a square of paper in front of me and drew a circle and drew things I associated with my pet using the colours in the card and particularly the blue colours of my Siamese cat's eyes--prompted by the Elton John song "Blue Eyes" which I had heard the previous day in a shopping mall. Took me 4 hours but it meant something more than time and had a calming effect on me. This is a great method to use when you are overwhelmed with grief or anger or sadness.

NOTE: Keep all this stuff in a journal--do it on 3-hole paper, if you create art buy clear plastic inserts for binders and keep them tidy and protected in your binder (or frame them)--important--your cards are reflective of you--show some care for your Self and what you create, and your insight and thoughts.

3) The Random Placement of Disparate Ideas - I see several people mention working weekly or monthly with one deck--also a great idea--but try pairing a random choice from another deck with this. I prefer one-card draws myself because I get so much from that and sometimes find that spreads overwhelm the details of what I need to focus on. But whether a single card or a spread, pull one of the cards from the decks you aren't using and use it as a clarifying card, either inserting it in a position in your spread or pairing it with a single card. Shake it up, put some pepper in for flavouring. What does it mean to you? Does it have a character or symbol you are not familiar with? Find out what it means. Details, symbolism, tie it together with your life. Write it down--a simple paragraph or two in an e-mail format--scan the cards--show them with your written insight, print it. I did this in the Daily Thoth draw often and it works!

4) The Big Kahuna (Gidget fans awake all ye!!!) - Those who know me know my fondness for what I call Random Passages. There are various ways of doing this and it doesn't matter if you use a tarot deck or oracle or playing cards. The trick is to do it spontaneously, in about 30 minutes--everyone can find 30 minutes every day or every second day.

Things I have done:

- card plus cookery recipe
- card plus song lyrics
- card plus song lyrics plus a chakra
- card plus poetry
- card plus random sentences or paragraphs from books, fiction or non-fiction
- cards plus cards, using passages from LWBs
- All gold-coloured cards from more than 20 decks, paired with the gold-coloured Power card of the Luman deck.
- Competition card of the Luman deck paired with anything I could find that reminded me of competition: business, art supplies, artists, philanthropy, libraries, tarot shops and publishers, pet food.

I spent a month from July 19th to August 14th this year using a single card from any deck I felt like using, paired with a random passage from the book The Alphabetic Labyrinth : The Letters in History and Imagination by Johanna Drucker. I had just lost my job and a friend of mine kept coming to mind. He told me once "Are you really hurt, or is it your pride that hurts." I have found this one of the truths in life and something to reflect on during bad experiences. So, thinking of him, I took the book he'd given me and used it to work through the scramble of fallen pride, disillusionment, fear, and anger in my mind.

I did 29 of these (I would have done more but I don't like numbers in the 30 sequence) and took the opportunity of exploring what came up in the book with the card. Some are long, some are short. If people came up in the book I would try to find a picture of them online or a biography to complete my knowledge of them etc. This is obviously very subjective--tying things together, but that's what is so perfect about it--the ideas come at you unexpectedly as do the insights. I also studied a book that I had merely read haphazardly before, and I found a cohesion of history and ideas that was delightfully fun to uncover. George Bernard Shaw's Henry Higgins character in "Pygmalion" was taken from a real man named Henry Sweet--neat-oh, and I found Henry's biography, picture and Shaw's discussion of him from the forward of the play. I printed everything and put it in my tarot journal, it is so fun to reread them. William Bednall and the shell Bednall's Volute from the Ocean Oracle tied in with the Hebrew letter Zayin; the Clink prison and its ball and chain with the International Phonetic Alphabet and the Fugitive card from the Compass of Fate. On and on.

One of my favourites involved 13th century hunting scenes and other decorative treatments in illuminated manuscripts, with the #20 - Rata - Inner Strength card from the Wisdom of the Four Winds deck. I found out about rata trees, making honey from them, pictures of those, and the inner strength of designing your own life, and I found a picture of a reproduction codex from the 13th century that was used like a book of models for people to draw manuscripts. The symbiosis of the mundane in life --paying attention, not giving your power to others, not being told what is correct.

I've rattled on a bit, but I am often disappointed by the numbers game people play with their cards. "I can't have more than 15" or "I can't possibly use more than 3." Sure you can, you can use as many as you want, as many as please you. You are only limited by the limitations you impose upon yourself, or perhaps how other people limit you.

You can go mad one month using all five of your fairy decks in conjunction with each other and a book on fairy mythology; you can overdose on finding which paintings from The Hall of the Months were used in the Golden Tarot of the Renaissance deck; you can study classical mythology with the Mantegna deck or read Virgil's Aeneid with the Dante tarot along with Dante's Divine Comedy; you can buy Eric Shanower's graphic novel series on the Trojan War and immerse yourself comparing Virgil, Homer and Shanower and their bias and sources. Oh, and one of my more interesting studies involved Palamedes' trial before Agamemnon, the painting of the episode by Rembrandt, and the Phoenician alphabet, tied in with the Fool card from the Artist's Inner Vision Tarot. There's always time for the Trojan War in your life, as we all know.

You can go nuts in expectation of the Golden Tarot of Klimt and buy two used books on Klimt and his contemporaries in art and architecture, and then you can buy expensive glass lampwork beads from an artist that are based on Klimt's colours and designs and make Art Nouveau beaded collars that use these beads, and you can tie in the work of Frank Lloyd Wright with that of Austrian architects of the Secessionist movement and the William Blake Tarot of the Imagination.

Oh stop, stop, I'm going to explode with delight. And yes, those very beads are in my house waiting for Klimptmania to inspire. They cost a whack of money I don't have, but Klimt and I are going new places in a golden glow of opportunity.

There IS time.

Kaylee Marie

Star Spirit said:
I'm getting better at reading for myself, but I just don't seem to have enough questions to ask! I end up reading about my relationship over and over, which I know is pointless to repeat so often.... I'm kind of at a loss here. I see my cards sitting beside me, and I have this incredible longing to use them, so I take them out and look through them, can't think of any relevant questions to ask, and put them away because I have to go do something else. I love my cards, but I'm in a rut. Please help! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Amen, sister! In the past, I've allowed weeks and even months to pass between readings, solely because I didn't have anything to ask about my life at the moment. Lately, I've been trying to think of more creative and frivilous quick readings in an effort to know my new decks better.

To steal an idea from Mark McElroy, why not use the tarot for creative brainstorming? I see you're a student of creative writing -- use the tarot to explore your characters, plot lines, and settings!! Even if you don't turn these writings in as school assignments, it's still a fun way to explore tarot and integrate it more fully into your life. I also see you're a library assistant. Why not use the tarot to explore some books you've seen at work? Ask what happens to a character after the book ends, or what a character's or author's motivation was in a certain scene. These will give you a limitless supply of fresh, fun questions that will engage both your literary and tarot selves. :D

An it doesn't all have to be about literature. Taking a psychology class? Design a spread around Maslow's pyramid of needs. Taking a physics class? Do a reading on Einstein's thoughts as he searched for the general theory of relativity. That way, you're studying your university courses at the same time as you're studying tarot. Both subjects benefit, and no time is wasted!!!!

I also wholeheartedly endorse Citrin's suggestion. Studying one deck for a week or more will help you focus and get to know the deck better. I deliberately space out my tarot purchases so I can focus on the new deck right away. Of course, I go back to the older decks after awhile, but I find that a "honeymoon" period really helps me bond with the deck. I got four decks in June for my birthday, and I'm still trying to recover from the deck overload. Unfortunately, two had to go on the backburner for now. I'll get to them eventually.

Cheers,
Kaylee Marie

okieinalaska

Kaylee Marie said:
Amen, sister! In the past, I've allowed weeks and even months to pass between readings, solely because I didn't have anything to ask about my life at the moment. Lately, I've been trying to think of more creative and frivilous quick readings in an effort to know my new decks better.

Cheers,

Add another amen from the choir, : )

I realized this week why I had only pulled my cards out 4 times a year or so for the last so many years, I ran out of questions! And I didn't feel like rehashing them over and over.

But I am stepping outside my comfort zone to read for others.

Why don't you do readings on things in the news? There would be no timeline so you wouldn't feel rushed. : ) And you could fit them in whenever it was a good time for you.
Best wishes,
Amy

bleuivy

Darwinia, your post is just packed full of excellent, excellent ideas! It has made me excited about decks I don't even own, and didn't know I wanted (Klimt! Golden Tarot of the Renaissance ! Ooooh!)

Thanks for the great ideas! They really opened my eyes to all of the different ways to enjoy tarot that really cross learning boundaries.

Yay!

Ilithiya

This doesn't directly address your concern, Star Spirit, but it might help you anyway...

I've got a nice pile of some 28 decks; rather than looking for some sort of connection, I browse the deck until I can come up with a list of concerns or issues that seem to fit the deck in question. For instance:

My Mage: The Ascension gets used for questions regarding work, technology, the government, and any directly associated concerns. (If you've played the RPG, you're familiar with the Technocracy... evil, evil, evil);
My Myers Art Nouveau gets used mainly for love and romance;
The Casanova gets pulled out for questions regarding emotional manipulation, sex, base drives, lies, and deception;
My Halloween is generally used for kids, playful questions, and other similar light hearted things;
and my International Icon gets used for everything because of the beautiful starkness of it (bows down at rota's feet).

I think that my point is that you may need to approach getting in-tune with your decks in an other-than-traditional manner. :) You may want to consider taking one out for dinner and drinks. Seriously. :D

Illy

Aura Wolf

Aww thanks for reviving my thread with your wonderful suggestions guys. There is some real gold here :D I have been wanting to use the cards in my creative writing, and maybe I should--I've been turning in a lot of fiction this year and it is my focuse :) I also love the other ideas--darwinia just had tons. I also have themes for some of my decks, I love using my Tarot of Transformation for relationships, for example. Thank you all again, for your suggestions and taking the time to post. I'm SOOO busy right now but I'm going to try and make more time for my decks :)

Sophie

Darwinia - I loved your post! And I do like the idea of ramdom passages. I've used it occasionally in oracle readings, but you opened up a whole new area of play on a rainy day for me :D - I'm keeping it too!

And I agree about exploration of a subject through a deck - no limit to that! I threw myself fully into Celtic Mythology & imagery thanks to the DruidCraft (not only Irish and British, but Gaulish too).

I don't tend to mix decks within a single spread, but I will mix them in a given reading, especially live readings. But I like your idea of clarifiers from other decks - I'll try that one. What I've sometimes done is use in one spread decks with the same "tone" to them - mixing tarot and oracle: e.g. DruidCraft, Druid Animal Oralce and Green Man Tree Oracle. Same artist, different emphasis and angle. But that's only one possibility: I think contrast and opposition might be illuminating too - for instance, in a reading using the Golden Tarot (Kat Black's deck) pick a few cards from the Roehrig - a sudden intrusion of contemporary images among the Medieval, which might allow for interesting intuitions to arise.

I love to read for characters in books or history - real or imagined. Or about the news. About countries & cities. I recently used the good old RWS to explore Pamela Colman's Smith's creative process as she was making the deck with Waite. Fascinating!

Then you can read for pets. The other day, the dog was barking, asking me for something, and I couldn't guess what. So I drew a card for her, randomly from one of my decks. It was the Fool with his little white dog (she is also a little white dog) - so there, I knew! She wanted to play! (and play with did)

darwinia

Helvetica said:
Darwinia - I loved your post! And I do like the idea of ramdom passages. I've used it occasionally in oracle readings, but you opened up a whole new area of play on a rainy day for me :D - I'm keeping it too!

Hah, I've been rattling on about Random Passages for almost 4 years, so maybe the meme finally got absorbed! Just kidding.

Yeah, the subject thing is incredible--you could completely involve yourself in ANY deck this way. It's fun too, particularly when you are pressed for time--a bit here and there, time for your self, quiet time when the world is pressing on you. Trust me, this works when you're frazzled to the max.

I like mixing decks--I see you know the startling feeling of mixing the Rohrig with the Golden--it really works, particularly with decks that are hard to read with conventionally.

I liked Jewel-ry's link to what Sunflower said about the juice. I'm going to try Sunflower's other suggestion next time I want to read but I can't decide on a book, I'll draw a card and decide that way. What a delightful notion.

I also find mixing media to be fantastic, as you saw in my first post. I am currently doing a Daily Thoth draw--I only have time to do one every 3 days or so, but I'm still calling it "daily."

So anyway, for this one I used my Shakespeare Fandex Family Field Guide (which is a fan like paint chips, only with art and writing related to the subject--I also have the one on Mythology--you can get them at amazon and they aren't expensive), and picked "Much Ado About Nothing." I'm then reading Isaac Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare to familiarize myself with the plot and characters, and then I'm drawing a Thoth card to see what it all means.

I only did Julius Caesar, Hamlet, and Macbeth in school so the other plays are foggy to me, and I'm more interested in the historical ones than the comedies, so this is a way of learning and making myself learn.

Plus the Thoth has a spooky way of liking it when I do this. Perhaps I am anthropomorphizing the deck, but it really gets insightful when I mix things with it.

Jewel-ry

I also found the Golden Tarot inspiring today and pulled a card - Moon and paired it with a card from my Soprafino - 3 Batons. The cards look awesome together and I have spent the whole day at work itching to get home and try out some of your ideas. Its really great to pull the cards and not necessarily try to relate them to my day but to a topic. Such a great idea!

In a course that I did earlier this year I studied the Greek Play Medea by Euripides and I think this would be interesting to explore. I think some of the Greek plays are truly awesome. In fact not just the greek ones, you mentioned earlier George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion and in fact I wrote an essay on the representation of women in the two plays. How cool to link the cards to literature like this. I am getting quite excited about it!

Tell me - in the random passages exercises. Do you literally read a passage that interests you and then pull a card with which to explore it with? What's your process? Do you just pull one card or several?