Some Advice for the Beginner

Always Wondering

Ross G Caldwell said:
Note - for a particular reason, Crowley switched the Tarot attributions of the Paths of Tzaddi and Heh on the Tree of Life. It's important not to be confused on this point too much - learn the alphabet first, in the right way "Aleph, Beth, Gimel, Daleth, Heh, Vav, Zaying, Cheth..." etc. even though lists based on the Tarot order (like Book of Thoth p. 278) will seem to change the order of the alphabet ("Aleph, Beth, Gimel, Daleth, Tzaddi, Vav..." etc.). Don't learn it that way! Crowley didn't change the order of the Hebrew Alphabet or the Paths on the Tree of Life - they are inviolable. He just switched the Tarot associations of the Letters/Paths Heh and Tzaddi (along with the astrological ones, belonging to the Tarot card (the chart on p. 278 has an error in this case)) - so Aries-Emperor now belongs to the Path of Tzaddi, and Aquarius-Star belongs to the Path of Heh.

If you are going to learn this way, I found this little program helpful. Especially good for pronunciation, which I struggle with.

http://download.cnet.com/Hebrew-Alphabet-Quizzer/3000-2279_4-10448938.html

AW

ravenest

stormdancer339 said:
OOOOH...KEWL....now to find the MANY compasses purchased for teens...might just be a lost cause....REALLY :D

I really wanna try this...

Done it yet? Groovey?

Stormdancer

ravenest said:
Done it yet? Groovey?

LOL...Dude....I am the mother of 3 teens, all of whom HATE math. The conversations, all 3 of them, went something like this..

"Hey...where's your compass?"

"Wha??"

"Your compass? The one I bought you for school?"

"What are you talking about??" with the unmistakable teen sneer

"A compass....you used it in math to make circles and arcs and stuff."

"i HATE math!"

"I know this, but you had a compass...where is it?"

"dunno"

**sigh**

Gonna have to buy one for myself :D

ravenest

DUDE! yourself :laugh:

How can a mother of three teens - with all that experience not just do this;

stormdancer339 said:
"Hey...where's your compass?"

"Wha??"

"Your compass? The one I bought you for school?"

"What are you talking about??" with the unmistakable teen sneer

"A compass....you used it in math to make circles and arcs and stuff."

"i HATE math!"

"I know this, but you had a compass...where is it?"

"dunno"

**sigh**
Stormdancer goes to the cupboard, gets out a saucer and uses that instead to trace the circles :laugh:

Stormdancer

ravenest said:

Stormdancer goes to the cupboard, gets out a saucer and uses that instead to trace the circles :laugh:

ROTF We are LONG past the days of arts & crafts, and so my skills are rusty....not to mention all brain cells that have died along the way :joke:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it:)

Excellent idea.....

jackdaw*

Just chiming in to add my thanks to Ross :) Great stuff, and demystifies a lot of it.

Stormdancer

ravenest said:

It's late for me, but tried this...thing is...there is NO compass point as a center( because there is no needle) I'm guestimating but having issues. Maybe I'm just tired???

Gonna look at it again....

Stormdancer

stormdancer339 said:
It's late for me, but tried this...thing is...there is NO compass point as a center( because there is no needle) I'm guestimating but having issues. Maybe I'm just tired???

Gonna look at it again....
Think (being the operative word here...NOT).. I got it, but I'm not so sure what I have. I think I need a nap :eek: This may be beyond me :D

isthmus nekoi

I would recommend Robert Wang's Qabalistic Tarot, it's clearly written, well organized and directly applicable.