Strength 11, Justice 8

littlehermit

Apart from Marseille and Thoth-based decks, what tarot decks are out there that preserve Strength=11, Justice=8 ordering?

WolfSpirit

Swedish Witch
Vision Quest (they are called Balance and Life Force)

are two that come to mind.

spoonbender

I think pretty much all of the Lo Scarabeo decks have Strength as 11 and Justice as 8. Besides those, The Tarot Nova also comes to mind.

felicityk

Let's see...of the decks I have, the following have Justice = 8:

Art Nouveau Tarot (Myers)*
Tarot Art Nouveau (Castelli)**
Crystal Tarot**
Eclectic Tarot
Golden Tarot of the Renaissance**
Nigel Jackson Tarot
Knapp-Hall Tarot
Lasenic Tarot
Magic Tarot (Kluev)
Pagan Tarot (Lewsey)
Renaissance Tarot (Williams)*
Soul Mandala Tarot
Stained Glass Tarot

* I wonder if this is still the case in later printings, as all other US Games decks that I know of have Justice = 11
** All of these are Lo Scarabeo decks, so I think spoonbender's generalization is correct

Rabble, the Waite-Smith deck switched Strength and Justice, and since that is the most influential deck of the 20th century, the majority of modern decks follow Waite's example.

Felicity

WolfSpirit

The Vikings Tarot by LoScarabeo has Strength = 8.
So it seems they don't have a set policy for this.

Trogon

Oddly enough... two of my favorite decks have Justice (or it's equivilent) at 8 (vii) and Strength at 11 (xi), while the majority of my favorite decks have the opposite. As already mentioned, the Thoth has "Adjustment" (Justice) as card VIII and "Lust" (Strength) at XI. However, The Goddess Tarot, which otherwise seems to be more or less loosely based on the RWS Tarot, also has Justice as VII and Strength as XI.

But... just to throw a monkey wrench into the works, the Rhörig Tarot, which is (if I remember correctly) based on the Thoth Tarot, puts Strength at VIII and Justice at XI. ... go figure ...

[edited to add:]

Come to think of it, the Haindl Tarot, which is also Thoth-based, also puts Strength at VIII and Justice as XI.

WolfSpirit

Trogon said:
Come to think of it, the Haindl Tarot, which is also Thoth-based, also puts Strength at VIII and Justice as XI.

Same for the Parrott tarot: Thoth-based, but Strength is VIII

Sulis

Cosmic - Norbert Losche
Voyager
Cosmic Tribe
Glastonbury Tarot

I prefer Strength 11, Justice 8

Love

Sulis xx

littlehermit

Oh yay! I'm getting the Goddess deck in a trade and didn't realize it had that ordering, so that's a nice bonus.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll have to go back and look at Glastonbury again - I'd been seriously considering getting it, and I'm quite interested in getting Justice=VIII decks. It just feels like a better, more balanced number for that card... every time I do a reading and Strength or Justice comes up with my current deck (Spiral, R-W ordering) I just sort of mentally block out the numbers.