Strength 11, Justice 8

punchinella

Trogon said:
But... just to throw a monkey wrench into the works, the Rhörig Tarot, which is (if I remember correctly) based on the Thoth Tarot, puts Strength at VIII and Justice at XI. ... go figure ...
But there is a written blurb in the middle of the card--Justice, that is--acknowledging the number VIII.

ferrous

This is something which I've wondered about in my meanderings through the forum & various deck reviews as I've seen it pointed out.

Anyone know why they switched the numbers? The cards themselves mean the same thing anyway, don't they? Does it really matter that the order was changed?

Moongold

Robert Place's new Buddha Tarot has Justice as 8 and Strength as 11. The names of the cards are different though.

ferrous

jmd said:
Here are a few threads, listed from the most recent:[.. snip ..]
Excellent. Thanks for all those links, jmd. :)

Trogon

Hmmm... Maybe as I get around to working more on my own Tarot deck, when I get to Strength and Justice, I'll just leave them un-numbered... leave a space at the top (or bottom) of these 2 cards and include a permanent marker. The owner can then number them any old which way she or he wants. :joke:

ferrous

Trogon said:
Hmmm... Maybe as I get around to working more on my own Tarot deck, when I get to Strength and Justice, I'll just leave them un-numbered... leave a space at the top (or bottom) of these 2 cards and include a permanent marker. The owner can then number them any old which way she or he wants. :joke:
Now *that's* a good idea! rotfl! :D

MSC

This is the question!

When I began to use tarot cards, I bought a Marseille Deck and got used to Justice VIII and Strenght XI.

Even if I don't use this deck anymore, it makes no sense to me to change cards positions, as the authors of RW did.

I found a first deck strong on art and myths at wwwartandwords.com and now I've got my Goddess Tarot :)
that keeps the Arcanes as above, without loosing character on minors ...

(thanks Kris for solving this problem on getting aesthetic and true historical issues together).

You also have the Celina Fioravanti's Tarot Místico (with only a 22 Arcanes + 4 Aces format). This is only suitable if you read portuguese and don't mind about not using minors in readings ...

SongDeva

Completely off topic:

Whenever I see this thread's title, all I can think of is that song from A Chorus Line: "Dance 10, Looks 3."

FaerieStorm

Strength and Justice

J. Philip Thomas' deck "Tarot de Paris" also maintains the Strength:11--Justice: 8 system. As a matter of fact, Thomas goes into some detail into Strength being the middle arcana (ten on either side of it).

Though this is purhaps my favorite deck, I do prefer the strength: 8, Justice: 11 because Justice focuses so much on balance. Therefore it would seem proper that Justice be the arcana that balances the ten cards on either side of it.

What do you guys think?