Tarot and the Other Realm

Demeter

I was mentioned to me recently, that when you are doing a tarot reading for a person, if you don't make a connection with the otherside for them your only a fortune teller - ie: give readings from meanings you learn in books and not by messages you receive.

I don't agree with this, but as I don't read professionally, maybe I'm wrong!
I'd be interested what others think or feel about this, as it has put me off a little.

jmd

I'm not sure in what sense the 'other side' was meant (in the sense employed by the spiritualist churches?), nor the manner in which 'only fortune teller' was employed (if one is inspired by Fortunæ, is that not acceptable?).

In terms of reading the cards, when they are placed in front of one eyes, one of the most important consideration, I would suggest, is to look at what is actually there. Part of reading what is there will also depend in part on one's background knowledge, including the insights one has gained from others (whether through books or not).

Demeter

Other realm was referred to as how the spiritualist churches see it - connect with someone who has passed over. My problem with is: what if your reading for a person who hasn't had anyone close pass over, that would want to connect with them?

not sure what you referred to about fortune telling as i haven't heard that before. But they meant, it in a negative way, to mean that unless you connect with a spirit, your making it up or repeating what you have learnt.

jmd

A tarot reading is not a spiritualist seance, in my personal view.

By all means, if you are a spiritualist, then combine the two.

For MOST tarot readers, I would suggest, the spiritualist view is irrelevent.

Demeter

Thank you!

i agree i'm not conducting a seance and even though i do believe that loved ones do and can contact us, i'm not a spiritualist.

thank you - i hadn't looked at it like that, this had been bothering me greatly and you have just put it all into a clearer light for me.

Apollonia

For MOST tarot readers, I would suggest, the spiritualist view is irrelevent.
I agree with jmd. I open up psychically when I read, and receive messages clairaudiently as well as from the card meanings (and I do read professionally), but I don't contact the spirit realm unless specifically asked to do so, and it certainly isn't necessary for a meaningful reading.

HudsonGray

"only a fortune teller - ie: give readings from meanings you learn in books"

But....isn't this how everyone starts? They learn the meanings and then apply it to the spread the cards are laid out in. That makes us 'fortune tellers'?

We advance as we get more comfortable with the cards and get more readings under our belts, where then does the 'fortune teller' stop and a true tarot reader start? I think the person who told this to you should have explained their idea of what a reader and fortune teller is, as well as why it's their opinion that one needs to be a medium to read the cards.

Tarotphelia

Demeter said:
I was mentioned to me recently, that when you are doing a tarot reading for a person, if you don't make a connection with the otherside for them your only a fortune teller - ie: give readings from meanings you learn in books and not by messages you receive.

Interesting theory. The various spiritualist churches have their own way of looking at things, and I have heard some things I consider to be odd and a bit presumptuous from a couple of their members .

I would say that it is wrong to assume that the tarot reader / fortune teller is not in contact with higher forces , even if they use the book meanings.

I would also say that assuming fortune telling is a bad thing is the pot calling the kettle black here , and another example of the usual scapegoating behavior that goes on in the greater "spiritual" community.

Finally, I would like to point out that contact with the dead is not always reliable or truthful . Putting blind trust in what spirits are telling you is not a good idea .

If the readings are correct , something is working as it should , no matter how the result is arrived at.

Fulgour

Decide such things for Yourself

Dark Inquisitor said:
I would also say that assuming fortune telling is a bad thing is the pot calling the kettle black here , and another example of the usual scapegoating behavior that goes on in the greater "spiritual" community.
Hello :) Dark Inquisitor! I agree! And I would even go so far as to say
that in many cases, unless your kettle is black they don't have a pot.