Tarot Box-making hobby

rwcarter

Promise said:
OK, I absolutely LOVE that Memento Mori box. In fact, my BG is probably going to start complaining loudly enough that I'm forced to make it it's own box just to shut it up!

That Ancient Egyptian box is gorgeous too. It looks...ancient to me, for some reason.
Thanks Promise. You can make one as part of your IDS. It's the BACK of the cards, but I guess that still counts as part of your deck study! :laugh:

As for the Ancient Egyptian looking ancient, that's probably got more to do with my bad picture-taking skills. ;)

Rodney

rwcarter

Tarot of the Absurd Box

I made a special box for my Tarot of the Absurd deck.

Attachments

• weblg-box-front.jpg
    weblg-box-front.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 207
  • weblg-Box-side.jpg
    weblg-Box-side.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 185
  • weblg-box-open.jpg
    weblg-box-open.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 175
  • weblg-deck in box.jpg
    weblg-deck in box.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 182

GotH

Love the creativity in ALL of these box pics posted. :)

Bhavana

i've been into crafts as a kid (mostly paper crafts) and i tried making decorative boxes, mostly for what little i have for a tarot collection. they're made of illustration board and craft paper ang paints and varnish, well, mostly. these two i gave as gifts for tarot garden's jeannette, some time last year, i think:

Kiddie Night Box: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40373137/

Parol Box: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40372048/

:)

wow, love the moon one!

I made a special box for my Tarot of the Absurd deck.

awesome! How did you make it?

rwcarter

awesome! How did you make it?
Using blue_fusions basic concepts (see post 8) tweaked over the course of various boxes I've made. I have a couple of other boxes I've made that I need to upload pics of too, but probably not til the weekend, if then.

Alta

wow rwcarter, that box is a thing of beauty. :thumbsup: And thanks to blue-fusion for the instructions. :)

rwcarter

Only have a few minutes. Lasenic Tarot Repro box. One more box to upload, but can't find the pics quickly.

Attachments

• Box From Top-web lg.jpg
    Box From Top-web lg.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Box open- web lg.jpg
    Box open- web lg.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Box From Side- web lg.jpg
    Box From Side- web lg.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Cards in Box-web lg.jpg
    Cards in Box-web lg.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 145

rwcarter

Final box pics to upload (for now). I bought an Old Gypsy Fortune Telling Cards deck and the box it was in was wrecked, so I scanned the box, cleaned it up in Photoshop Elements and used the original box image to make a new box for the cards and wrecked box.

In addition to illustration board, I also used yellow paper for the inside of the box and red paper for the outside. I used a coat of spray varnish on the paper to pre-coat it so that the color doesn't run when I brush on the acrylic varnish.

The Tarot of the Absurd box uses white photo paper for the top, black wrapping paper for the bottom and scrapbooking paper for the inside.

The Lasenic box uses yellow paper for the inside, black wrapping paper for the bottom, and wrapping paper from a present I was given for my birthday for the inside.

Attachments

• weblg-Box Closed.jpg
    weblg-Box Closed.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 161
  • weblg-Deck in Box.jpg
    weblg-Deck in Box.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 149
  • weblg-Box Open.jpg
    weblg-Box Open.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 141

tarot heart

The Ancient Egyptien is my favorite box Rodney!!!

The others are really well done also!!

rwcarter

Last box for awhile as my work area is my dining room table, which needs to be cleaned off for Thanksgiving dinner....

I acquired a Cartomanzia 184 with a 1943 (not 1948) tax stamp on it, but it didn't come with a box. A friend has a Cartomanzia 184 with 1948 tax stamp in a one-piece box where the top and bottom are joined at the back. This friend's box also has a hole in the bottom of it that we've determined is for inserting one's finger to push the cards up out of the box. Well, my box is in homage to that box, although I wasn't even going to try to replicate that hole....

I took the card back and scanned it. The original back has faded gold coloring on the red background, but that just wasn't showing through in the printout, so I changed the gold to black. (Red, white and black is my favorite color scheme.) I decided to go for something completely different for the inside of the box as a little unexpected surprise....

As with all the boxes I've shown, the black is actually black wrapping paper. The inside of the box is scrapbooking paper.

Attachments

• Cartomanzia 184 box closed (web).jpg
    Cartomanzia 184 box closed (web).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Cartomanzia 184 hinged box (web).jpg
    Cartomanzia 184 hinged box (web).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Cartomanzia184 deck in box (web).jpg
    Cartomanzia184 deck in box (web).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Cartomanzia 184 empty box (web).jpg
    Cartomanzia 184 empty box (web).jpg