Tarot legends and Myths (A Rant)

Sophie

Alissa said:
Was one Granny better than another at imparting mythology?
Hehe - I'm in the other category - the one whose grandmas would have said "fudge" to tarot ;) Not much myth involved there - a blank rationalist rejection...

I bought my first deck. I wasn't on an ego trip, I was curious. I never knew about tarot legends (I prefer that term to myth, which I think describes something rather more grand) - until I joined AT. When I read a few of them, I laughed out loud until I realised some people took them seriously. And then I thought - ok, what's to take seriously in this statement - [fill in your favourite non-referenced statement of a legend]? I realised that though my grandmas had never mentioned tarot, their sceptical rationalist outlook had nevertheless influenced me to the point when I thought someone who believed a tarot legend was a bit soft in the head. AT has had this much effect on me: I simply believe now that they are as much a victim - or product, if you prefer - of their mental upbringing as I.

My approach to tarot legends nowadays is more pragmatic: do they hinder the learning & practice of tarot? No? OK, then believe what you please. Yes? then if someone mentions it in a thread and I feel moved to answer, I'll say - don't worry, your deck is not the tool of the devil/you don't have to worry you bought it yourself/ your dead gran's energies will not interfere with your reading; etc. If the belief was born from a worldview aeons away from my own (e.g. someone from a fundamentalist Xian background, say; or a practising pagan), then I'll generally refrain and read the answers myself, because they teach me about that worldview.

By all means, let us explore myths and legends. One of my favourite passtimes, actually. But not at the expense of newcomers who are only looking for reassurance and practical advice, whatever their mental worldview.

Flidais

When a new member asks if he should receive his first deck as a gift, I ask "Do you believe that? Why?"

If you don't want to believe that this is necessary, then don't. If you want to believe it is necessary, then do. But make it your choice. Your reasoning must satisfy you, not anyone else.

I was never told that I should have my first deck gifted to me. I never read or heard that. I saw a deck in a store one day and was drawn to it and bought it. And thus began my journey. I will continue to tell others that they are free to do the same -- unless they decide they don't want to, for reasons that satisfy them.

Satori

The decks that were given to me are the ones I won't trade.
I've tried to trade the Voyager, but it just never left here. It was my first deck, and while it was given to me, I begged my sister to buy it for me!!! Does that count??? I mean, she gave it to me under extreme duress...

The Old Path came by way of same sister who bought it in the UK.
I will never trade it. It is like a relative...it has an "energy" that is unlike some of the other decks I bought myself. It isn't a favorite, but to think of giving it away causes me a bit of a pain.... ;)

My Osho Zen was a re-gift.
My friend got it as a Christmas gift and she felt she couldn't do it justice so she gave it to me.
It is my never fail deck. When all else fails I reach for it, and I love it in a way that I cannot explain.

I don't know if I know many Tarot myths.
I know there is one about having a deck that no one else has touched, but you. I don't own a deck like that.
I am pretty superstitious tho, cautious about other people's personal beliefs. Offense is so easy to give and oh so hard to repair. The energy that resides in the memory of the wrong done is hard to erase, even if someone grants forgiveness. The echo of the error seems to continue resonating....

As for sleeping with a deck, I did it once. And I was afraid the cards would get ruined. Nowadays, I have a drawer in my bedside dresser devoted to Tarot and if I feel like I want to sleep with a deck, it gets tucked in that drawer. My Healing Earth Tarot lives there, and I use at night quite often before going to sleep to direct my subconcious toward healing and pathworking. Right now, the Classic Tarot sits there as well, as does the my new Fairy Ring Oracle.

I think that our own personal mythological subsets are really important. So that whether we buy into the mass market version of Tarot myths, the rituals and beliefs that become our own personal mythology is what is ultimately important.

There seem to be a lot of opinions voiced on AT sometimes that are definitively flaunted as gospel, and as I read them I'm saying mentally, "Says who?" I don't care who is saying it when. The high and mighty fall, the meek inherit the earth, right?

What is nice to see here is an AT icon standing up and saying he is rethinking a previously held stand on an issue. That he has grown into a new way of thinking about something. That a previously held belief doesn't work for him anymore, and he is now sharing that new belief with all of us, and putting his head on the block in the process.

I was pretty facetious in my first post, but I'm not gonna run back and delete it in order to save face.

So let it be written.

The Dreamer

Umbrae said:
Somebody said something about not just energy being left on cards (and I suppose the term energy may have caused some concern for a few) but mentioned Fingerprints…DNA.

And I pulled up short.
Fingerprints are said to be unique to each of us, as is our DNA. And we leave a bit of ourselves on whatever we come in contact with. The lead pipe, the candlestick, the rope, the Tarot deck…we touch it…and leave something unique behind.

A fingerprint within a fingerprint.
So do our bodies contain micro-electricity; small charges of electrical current? Could it be different for each of us? Is it in our DNA or cellular material?

I think so, yes...
But if we leave a physical, cellular piece of ourselves behind – logic tells me that a micro-electrical charge may be imparted also.
Yes, it's a lot easier to accept the concept of the idea that energy may be left behind when people physically touch things by comparing that theoretical energy to fingerprints or DNA.

However, I don't think that "logic tells" us that the one phenomenon must follow because the other exists. We have evidence of fingerprints and DNA, and evidence of some kinds of energy, but not of other kinds. To extrapolate from what is known to what is unknown is not logic, but theorizing. And basically, we really can't know what is unknown until we get evidence of it.

I myself do know that some generally unrecognized forms of energy do exist and can be transmitted, but I don't expect anyone else to believe that. I only believe it because I can sense it. I talked about that here in this thread:feeling human energy fields based on sun sign
Quantum physics tells us the universe, as we know it does not exist. But we make it so. An electron here exchanges with an electron there. A few neutrinos shoot through (Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiing)…
Quantum physics also tells us about quantum entanglement and "spooky action at a distance" which allows for all sorts of possibilties of things interacting which have nothing to do with physically touching anything, fingerprints, or energy transmission at a close range.
Myths, legends... Each myth, each legend had a basis for beginning. To simply say, “Ah it’s a legend, don’t believe it” is a knee-jerk reaction.

It’s a mythtake in my opinion. A blind knee-jerk in the name of rationale.

Stating something is not true because it’s a legend, or a myth, is as heinous as blindly accepting a myth or legend as fact.

In fact it may be worse.

Debunking myths blindly (“Hey I bought my first deck and it didn’t affect me!”) does few any favors; students find no wisdom in such lessons. You may very well obstruct growth by imposing your worldview upon them as opposed to allowing students to find their own view.

For instance, why SHOULD someone be given his or her first deck? Does it make a difference? Will they be a better reader? Will the deck work better?
I really want to see folks stop simply stating, “It’s a myth! Don’t believe it!”

I used to be one of those folks. And I now know that my prior stance was wrong. I no longer hold those beliefs.

Myths have a root.

Fables and myths are what we use to describe what we don’t comprehend. They are our attempts to make the impossible possible.

Wisdom often lies in the undertones. That’s where we find truth.
Undertones are also where we find falsehood. They are also the domain of misunderstanding and prejudice and misinterpretation and unexamined assumptions.
Depending upon what one means by undertones.

But yes, myths have a root. Some myths are obviously false. Some are not so obviously false, but still false.
Some are true, more or less obviously so. Some are only true on a large scale, and not a small scale.
I think the problem comes in when people try to apply universality to myths that are not universal, or to claim literal truth for myths which are allegorical.

Telling anyone "don't believe it" or "believe it" is really equally absurd. I don't see how one is worse than the other. A person can take any theory or story on board provisionally, can consider it, use it in their thinking, play with it in their mind- but to believe or not to believe without some evidence which is not story or theory based is an invitation to self destruction- to the denial of one's own experience, and to the failure to live one's own personal life.
And really, if any myth is really true, really has basis- won't a person discover it on their own? Does it need to be indoctrinated? If a myth really applies to all humans, then it is contained in all humans. If archetypes are really archetypes, then they are a part of real living people. If a fools' journey or hero/ine's journey is true, and has a real root, then people will live that out whether they have ever heard of such stories or not.

Stating that one bought one's own deck and that one had no bad luck from it is not a blind debunking. It is a statement based upon experience, and falsifiabilty. Things can be disproven, but they cannot be proven with certainty. It only takes one person who does not have bad luck from an action to disprove that bad luck always follows from an action. Does that prove that no one will ever have bad luck from said action? No. But, it does prove that bad luck will not always follow from it.
Aside from the debunking of falsehood is the idea of why a myth arises, what purpose it may serve to those who believe it, and what psychological reasons people have for creating or transmitting it.

I have no use for fable as a way to "describe what we don't comprehend". I prefer just to admit that I don't comprehend what I don't comprehend. I can describe such, but that doesn't make it a myth. Myth is when the fable tries to explain what we don't comprehend. And that is the wrong way to get there, in my opinion, if one really is trying to comprehend. Experience is what allows one to truly comprehend.
I think at its best, fable is a way to describe what we do comprehend, but in a way which is more concise, emotionally effective, and memorable than less poetic descriptions.

Remember, I did say in the thesis post that knee jerking might be a mythtake. I’d prefer folks to ask me why I say something, rather than flat out tell me I’m wrong, or use a hypothetical example, or an example from a thread not referenced.

So let’s examine another myth; that You should be given your first Tarot deck (as a gift).

Never have I seen a post where anybody has even attempted to explore or explain this one. What we get are posts stating, “It’s not true!” “It’s a stupid harmful legend!”

Yeah perhaps it is. Perhaps it’s not. Anybody ever look at it? Examine it for signs of life?
Never seen a post attempting to explore or explain it? I made such a post, and so did a few others, in this thread: myth or fact? Though those posts may not be of the finding "signs of life" variety.
Knee jerking is in the eye of the beholder. Labeling a statement as a "knee jerk" reaction presumes that the speaker has not thought about the statement. Clearly most here have thought quite a bit about tarot myths.

Take a look at the Major Arcana as a Whole System (It’s all inter-related as opposed to static unrelated pieces – Geeze I wish Stewart Brand was a Tarot aficionado…) and you will observe how folks get the ‘Hero’s Journey” thing (or the Heroine’s Journey, or the Fool’s Journey, or…). The twenty-two cards can make a storyboard of infinite complexity… Books and books have been written about this very thing.

In any of the Journey Myths of Tarot, lies the act of Initiation.

And gifting a deck IS an act of initiation…

It tells the recipient that their gift is recognized. This is radically different than going out and purchasing your first deck, which is ego-centric (“I’m special, I have the gift, I’m gonna be a fortune-teller”), a stance not embraced by much of humanity.

And if Granny gives you her deck! Oh my GAWD!!! What a gift! What an initiation! What power!

Okay…so…do you have to wait to get your first deck?

No.

But do you understand the power of receiving your first deck as a gift? Do you understand the power that you can become a part of by gifting a deck?

Just a thought…
So according to the hypothetical examples there, buying one's own deck is correlated with "feeling special" and recieving one is correlated with "having power".
But of course, it depends upon the view of the person getting the deck.

Really, I think that assuming one has "the gift" or believing that one has been initiated into something powerful by family lineage or by a mentor are both blind alleys when it comes to the idea of the power of tarot or anything else.
One is ego centric (or can be viewed that way) and the other is structure or history centric. History without evidence is a hypothetical structure that only exists insofar as people keep recreating it by telling stories.

The power of tarot doesn't exist in its history traditions or in the self image of its users. It exists seperately from those. It just exists. It rises up again and again in the now. Outside of the ego and the traditions. That's my view at this point, anyway, mainly because I see no reason to believe otherwise, and because I see many reasons not to believe the personal and collective myths.

(A digression about the power of grandmothers and myths/fantasies: I have often imagined how magical it would have been to have met my other grandmother, who died in Cuba before I was born. I've written songs about it. I've had dreams about it. The idea of her has power to me, has become part of my personal mythology. The idea that she would have been the person who would "know" and "understand" me. Now, I have another grandmother here in Indiana, but she's not nearly as exotic and mysterious as the one I couldn't know. We don't have as many things in common as I think I would with the one I can't know. But, the one I can't know- I can never know. I can project all my ideas and desires onto her image. She would see how "special" I am. She would make me feel part of a lineage. [She was related to a famous german composer, and was a piano teacher and singer]. Would my life have been different if I had known her? I have no idea and never can know. Maybe it's all just fantasy.)

Here's how I'm viewing myths of all varieties at this point. They are stories that aim at universality and grandiosity and allegorical poetic truth. Stories that groups disseminate, and that individuals tell themselves. There are personal myths, and collective myths.
I think the problem comes in when we do try to "make the impossible possible". Yes- "manifesting"- blah blah blah- but some things really are impossible. Some things really are not true. That is where myths and fairy tales are a problem. That's where they increase the misery factor. It's the difference between expectation and reality that causes so much despair. "Happily ever after"- that's a myth. Fairy tales are myths.
So why do we tell them. To provide hope- to provide a map- to infuse with meaning- to feel connected. But is the connection real? Is the meaning true? Is the map reliable? Is the hope warranted?

(An interesting book about stories in general which tries to get to the heart and essentials of all storytelling is The Seven Basic Plots- Why We Tell Stories by Christopher Booker [no Stewart Brand ;) but it is sort of a 'whole stories catalog'. :)] I talked a bit about the book in this thread.)

Do our individual experiences really fit into the myths?
Maybe for some more than others.

Alissa

Upon further reflection

Umbrae said:
Myths, legends... Each myth, each legend had a basis for beginning.

Without exploring the root of the myth – your syllogism is fallacious.

Myths have a root.

Fables and myths are what we use to describe what we don’t comprehend. They are our attempts to make the impossible possible.

Wisdom often lies in the undertones. That’s where we find truth.
I've pulled out what I believe to be, perhaps, your quintessential message.

The thesis is about myth-origination, not myth-imparting.

My issue is with myth-imparting.

But Umbrae is asking us to consider, when we hear a myth, HOW did it begin? What kernel of truth was it meant to impart, and perhaps that nugget has lost its contextual meaning in current times. And, since verbal traditions are strong, the myths continue - even out of context.

Like studying urban myths to find the nugget of truth that the myth arose from.

Therefore, before labelling a statement as "just another Tarot myth"... Umbrae says, isn't it more interesting to consider what made this myth come to be, and what Truth it was meant to impart?

As for changing one's opinion over time, I quote the signature of Khatruman : "Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman.

Changing one's mind is awesome.

Mesara

I think that belief in the propriety of an 'initiation' (that is, the act of receiving one's first tarot deck as a gift), upon recogniton of posessing special talents or 'gifts', whom the giver deems 'appropriate' for tarot usage, is largely based on an assumption that tarot is an activity that should be restricted only to those who prove themselves worthy or 'special'. That is, that only those who have been marked as special are to be entrusted with a tarot deck.

To me, this seems a tad more ego-centic (on the part of the giver and the receiver) than Joe Shmo purchasing his own deck out of idle curiosity or interest.

If you hold the belief that tarot is something that can be enjoyed and used by anyone, regardless of special talents or gifts, than this myth simply would not stand up.

Let me say that Im not attacking anyone's beliefs, or thoughts on the matter.. I like this thread and think it opens the way for thought-provoking discussions on the 'myths of tarot', a subject which I have always been interested in.

And while I don't dispute the fact that giving or receiving a tarot deck can be a very meaningful gesture (having received my first deck as a gift myself), I do have to disagree with the stance that this is the only appropriate tarot transaction.

However, the origin of this myth could provide invaluable insight (for those interested) into the mindset of our tarot predecessors, and how decks came to be handed down through the generations of those who have a strong tarot lineage in their families.

I do think Umbrae's thread here is revolutionary, because in the small time Ive been here I have not yet seen a thread dedicated to the examination and discussion of the various myths and legends we encounter here in the forums with the first post of nearly every "newbie" asking "Should I sleep with my cards?" etc.. Instead of laughing at the questions (though I admit some of them are quite funny), it's refreshing to see some thought put into them for a change.

Ilithiya

Mesara said:
I think that belief in the propriety of an 'initiation' (that is, the act of receiving one's first tarot deck as a gift), upon recogniton of posessing special talents or 'gifts', whom the giver deems 'appropriate' for tarot usage, is largely based on an assumption that tarot is an activity that should be restricted only to those who prove themselves worthy or 'special'. That is, that only those who have been marked as special are to be entrusted with a tarot deck.

To me, this seems a tad more ego-centic (on the part of the giver and the receiver) than Joe Shmo purchasing his own deck out of idle curiosity or interest.

Thank you! *dances a little jig* I don't even remember what drew me to my first... probably the artwork. I thought, hey, that's nice... and without having any really good reason, I bought it. I don't think learning Tarot was on my mind when I did that... but I'm not sorry for getting it! :D

I think that the kind of cliquish "worthiness" that is implied with the myth of having to be given a deck is part of what needs to be squashed. Tarot's not a club for a select few.

If you hold the belief that tarot is something that can be enjoyed and used by anyone, regardless of special talents or gifts, than this myth simply would not stand up.

Holds less water than a sieve for me. Other than a very faint, very infrequent ability with psychometry, I suck when it comes to intuition, sixth sense, and all that other "psychism". I'm not unable... just... bland. :D If Tarot depended on the "worthiness" of an individual, I wouldn't be able to tell the fronts of the cards from the backs.

I do think Umbrae's thread here is revolutionary, because in the small time Ive been here I have not yet seen a thread dedicated to the examination and discussion of the various myths and legends we encounter here in the forums with the first post of nearly every "newbie" asking "Should I sleep with my cards?" etc.. Instead of laughing at the questions (though I admit some of them are quite funny), it's refreshing to see some thought put into them for a change.

I'm being completely facetious, but also truthful: When I see a thread like that, I can't reply because I'm so dizzy from rolling my eyes. I'm sorry. I can't help it; it's not because I think they're stupid, but I'm so incredibly frustrated with the massive amounts of mis-interpretation.

I think another reason for the -propagation- of Tarot myths is because people need ritual: something structured, something meaningful, something bigger than themselves. Sorry, but there's nothing ritualistic about your morning shower or brushing your teeth before bed. People need magic to offset the mundane, and for the people coming here, it's Tarot.

After a while, many people begin to see that there's no real use for all that ritual. They begin to absorb what Tarot means to them in a personal context, and so the ritualistic aspects ebb away or mutate, unless any given individual wishes to keep that kind of ritual. I'll read my cards anywhere, thank you, including in the bathroom *ahem*, and while that may seem disrespectful to some (if not outright "sacrilegious") because of the rather raw, earthy, bodily aspects of the location, at the point where I am, I don't give a...

Well, yeah. I think I've made my point here. :D

Illy

tmgrl2

Ilithiya said:
Sorry, but there's nothing ritualistic about your morning shower or brushing your teeth before bed.
Illy

Oh dear....I'm afraid ....my evening shower and teeth brushing and slathering of creams on my face and body....are quite mindful activities...and ritualistic as well....and give me great comfort. When I have really appreciated these rituals of mine is after I have been in the outdoors ...camping, fishing...hiking...as I did many years ago....

But these simple daily rituals mark for me...

the end of another day, lived ...well or not...

the hope for a brighter tomorrow...

the comfort that some things are always there for us...the routines, the daily rituals....things we can count on when the unknown becomes a bit scary....

I guess it's in how we approach life ....or Tarot....and in how we give meaning to even the smallest activity of living....

My Tarot "rituals" change....I don't have many .....they are mine...they give me comfort as I prepare to engage my sitter...as I begin the work of building rapport, as I open myself up to listen.

Some times when I handle a deck, especially a new one, as I go through each card, looking at art, there is a very special feeling....

I said my decks weren't gifts.

Even that isn't quite right....

They were clearly gifts given to me by myself.

How do we elevate our energies? How do we transmit them to others?

There's something so magical, mythical about....

a spread set out on my round oak table, backs all similar...as we prepare to turn over that first card...

Delight and wonder and exuberance.

Hope I never lose them.

I believe that whatever we leave of ourselves...whether it be fingerprints, or ideas, or shared feelings, gets mixed up in the pot of matter flying around with all of the spaces in between. We just can't see it working and we don't know the effects....but I believe something

happens

No matter how we interact with our environment...with objects, with people, with thought.....Things move. They shift. There is change.

terri

Emeraldgirl

Wow. I have read this whole thread and while perhaps not understaning parts of it (physics were never my thing) I amit I have been guilty of not considering the basis and reason behind a myth before stating it as one. Perhaps it was because I broke that myth/rule/legend/whatever and wasn't struck by a thunderbolt from the sky. That is no excuse however for being ignorant of how the myths started. It's something that has only fleetingly crossed my mind at times. I think that this a subject that will be very interesting as more myths get investigated.

Satori

umbrae said:
For instance, why SHOULD someone be given his or her first deck? Does it make a difference? Will they be a better reader? Will the deck work better?

This has suddenly captured my attention.
This question.

It has been a long day-I'm tired.
So I will attempt an answer to this one question, even tho you pose so many.

To be given a Tarot deck.
There is a level of assumption that is being made.
First that you are even interested in Tarot.
Second that you might want to learn to use the cards.
and maybe this should be first consideration, that you can use the cards.

So you are given a deck.
I'll use the Tarot of the Old Path and the Osho as examples.
I'd never heard of the Osho, but the Old Path, someone had read for me with that one. A great reading, a great show of reading. Lots of silent pauses, a long finger rubbing the cards as she spent time thinking and watching the card...not looking mind you, watching. And several confirmatory and deep eyed looks directed at me...mesmerizing she was, mesmerizing.

i wasn't a reader then.
I had the Voyager but what I was doing with it wasn't reading.
It was toying, or diddling. LOL

But I remember looking at the deck and thinking how weird the cards looked, the people looked strange to me, and they still do to this day. the Old Path is a strange deck. Anyway, she said I should get a RWCS instead of the Old path, instead of the Voyager. She said that all things have a foundation, and that it would be good to know what most people think of as the Tarot and what it means, rather than to sit with a deck like the Voyager....

and then years later, the Old Path came into my hands.

Am I a better reader because people have given me decks....that is an interesting question.

Why should someone be given their first deck. Another great question.

-If someone gives you a Tarot deck it might make you take a look at yourself in a new way. Suddenly you have this mysterious and somewhat misunderstood pack of cards in your hands. Like a secret, a bit of the forbidden fruit, and so you think you will see if you are meant for this game.

-Suddenly you are thinking what the person who gave you the cards thinks of you. What do they know about you, or think they know about you that would inspire such a gift. After all, this is your first Tarot deck. What do they know about you that you don't know about yourself???

-And the one doing the giving. What was it that made them think, "Oh yes, cousin Betsy must have the Osho Zen for Christmas."
Is this divine inspiration? A momentary burst of creativity in an other wise predictable existence? The hand of God laid upon their head in such a way as to inspire a gift of the Tarot??

My Old Path was largely the result of the box.
A woman whose breasts are spraying out starry fluid, in two colors, was enough to encourage my sister to get it.
I was breast feeding my first baby at the time.
Thank you to my sister for the deck, to the goddess for my milk, and to the Tarot gods for the inspiration. Make s a good story.

Have I answered anything?
Can I win a prize?
Is there a brass ring?