Tarot of Ceremonial Magic

AnkhGoddess

Hey guys!

I was interested in starting up a study of Lon Milo Duquette's Tarot of Ceremonial Magic, and was wondering if I couldn't get a show of hands to see who'd be interested in doing a study group on this deck. I'm intrigued to see how he combines the several systems he's working with on this deck (Enochian, Goetia, astrology, Quaballah, and even the I Ching) into one deck...its a heck of an endeavour, to say the least, and I'm curious to delve into the deck to see how he does it. Not to mention, I'm kinda curious to see whether or not the tarot's a useful way of forming a sort of backbone for each of these systems, as he seems to think it does. I myself have some reservations, but nonetheless think that the deck could hold alotta merit...not to mention be a springboard for some further studies of my own. I thought that while delving into it myself, it'd be rather cool to get to hear other's insights into this deck, whatever those insights might be.

I was thinking of taking it one card at a time, starting with the Fool, and going from there, spending one week on each card. I figured that would give everyone out there interested in jumping on board with the study group a chance to say what it is they want to say about it all, without us spending TOO long on each card...and of course, anyone who wants to go back and post something about a particular card after the week's up could then go back and do so.

Any takers? It'd be cool to see what others here on the forum think about this deck. People's insights into this thing could help me further with my own studies of it, and hopefully getting to hear one another's ideas on this deck would help us to understand it, and the various systems it works with, all the more deeply.

So, if any of you crazy fellow tarot fanatics out there would like to start a study of this thing up with me, just let me know on this here thread...

Big hugs,
Ankhy

Aeon418

A bit quiet.

I guess this one didn't take off. A Pitty really. I wouldn't mind working through Lon's deck myself. Anyone else up for it ?

redfairy

yeah

i myself have been looking for Tarot of Ceremonial Magic... Once i do get it, i wouldn't mind joining the group for some serious study! Thanks for the offer!

Aeon418

Cool !

Anyone else interested ?

AnkhGoddess

Ceremonial Magick tarot

Hey there!

Well, if folks wanna start up a group, I'm game to do so...and will definately jump on board! Only problem is that I need to wait and do so once I have a computer of my own...I currently no longer do, and it makes getting online regularly an impossibility for me...unfortunately, not only do I not have a computer of my own, but I live in a VERY small, sleepy town with no net cafes...meaning I've gotta travel to the next town over just to use the net! I've also started having second thoughts about the value of the deck...on the one hand, it would be a rather interesting deck to study, that's for sure. On the other hand, after looking through it a bit more deeply, I'm a bit hesitant about whether it's as good a deck as I originally thought...the book, which I thought would be essential to help explain the meanings of the Enochian tablets used on the deck, as well as the sigils on various cards, aren't explained in any great detail at all. The book simply tells WHAT the name of the sigil is...it doesn't go into how to use either the sigils or the tablets magickally at all...and I was really hoping for explainations as to why he chose the sigil or tablet for the card it's on, how to use it magickally with the card it's on, etc. The corrisponding book does none of that. It simply has a picture of each card, and then tells the name of the sigil, and/or tablet on that particular card. Leaving me to wonder how the hell it applies to that particular card...I'm sure he's got good reasons for putting them on the cards he did, but how he came to the conclusion that this tablet or that sigil applies to that particular card, would be useful...along with how to apply them magickally, which I thought was the purpose of the deck and book- to show you how to do so, and to have some helpful tools (the cards) to work with.

But, who knows, maybe I'm expecting too much outta one deck. And, that said, there is the book The Enochian World of Allastar Crowley, which corresponds with the deck beautifully. If we were to still do a group with this deck, I'd suggest we do so along with that book, as I think that a rather interesting study of this deck and the way it works with Enochiana could make for a rather cool study indeed!

The other thing that made me hesitate about the deck is the fact that the deck uses Lon himself in almost every card depicting a male figure in the deck...hahaha...making me jokingly nickname it the Lon Milo Ego Deck! But, tha's all in good fun, and I don't hold it against him for doing so, I just thought it was funny.

So, if there are any takers for this group still, I'd be more than game to still go for it...I just can't do so till October comes around, at which point I'll have a computer of my own and can start signing onto this forum as regularly as I really wish I could!

~Stephanie

P.S. Redfairy- believe it or not, check http://www.walmart.com for this deck at a really good price. It's amazing the stuff wal-mart actually sells online- about half of it is stuff you'd never in a million years see at one of their actual stores! Do a search for "tarot," and you should find the deck...alternatively, try Amazon. Occult shops in your town probablly will also sell it, or order it for you if they don't have it in stock! Hope this helps!

Aeon418

Magick !!!

AnkhGoddess said:
I've also started having second thoughts about the value of the deck... after looking through it a bit more deeply, I'm a bit hesitant about whether it's as good a deck as I originally thought...it doesn't go into how to use either the sigils or the tablets magickally at all...
Appendix 3 and 4 at the back of the book contains enough information to start working with the system. But I do admit that it is a very bare bones description. But you have the Enochian World of Aleister Crowley so it shouldn't be a problem. Lon's Goetia book, Aleister Crowley's Illustrated Goetia, is nice to have if your interested in using the goetic sigils.
AnkhGoddess said:
I was really hoping for explainations as to why he chose the sigil or tablet for the card it's on
Lon didn't choose the seals, sigils or enochian squares. They are attributed in a very specific way, as described in the book. A copy of Crowley's 777 comes in handy as well. ;)
AnkhGoddess said:
And, that said, there is the book The Enochian World of Allastar Crowley, which corresponds with the deck beautifully. If we were to still do a group with this deck, I'd suggest we do so along with that book, as I think that a rather interesting study of this deck and the way it works with Enochiana could make for a rather cool study indeed!
Absolutely !!!! That's one of the big attractions of the deck anyway.
AnkhGoddess said:
The other thing that made me hesitate about the deck is the fact that the deck uses Lon himself in almost every card depicting a male figure in the deck...hahaha...making me jokingly nickname it the Lon Milo Ego Deck! But, tha's all in good fun, and I don't hold it against him for doing so, I just thought it was funny.
To be fair though, Lon only appears on four of the Majors (Emperor, Hierophant, Chariot and Hanged Man) and has his head cut off by the Queen of Swords. His wife, Constance, appears on four of the cards as well and Aleister Crowley makes an appearance on 2 so I don't think it's that bad really.

Kwisatz_Haderach

I would love to study this deck with you. I am a big fan of Lon's writings, and am beginning my Enochian workings, and would generally like to learn and share.

ShekinahMoon

As I've been studying my Thoth deck I wouldn't mind adding the Ceremonial Magic cards to study in conjunction with my Thoth. I think having the same card from the Ceremonial Magic deck along side the card I'm studying from the Thoth deck would allow for a much deeper study.

tess65

Finally found someone using this deck-VERY interested!

Would love to partake-please let me know details!!!!!!

Aeon418

CM - Thoth ?

ShekinahMoon said:
As I've been studying my Thoth deck I wouldn't mind adding the Ceremonial Magic cards to study in conjunction with my Thoth. I think having the same card from the Ceremonial Magic deck along side the card I'm studying from the Thoth deck would allow for a much deeper study.
That sounds like a really good idea. DuQuette has used a lot of Crowley's Thelemic symbolism in the Tarot of CM. Using the Thoth Tarot for comparative purposes might be a useful exercise.