Tarot Wisdom vs. 78 Degrees of Wisdom

Cassandra022

Hello,

I'm looking to procure a new tarot book (I only have 2 that I really use and a bunch of mostly-useless/unused companion books from decks) and I'm looking to get another book that will give me a more in-depth understanding of the cards. I feel that I am beyond the beginner/intro type books by now and am looking for a more advanced understanding of the cards, including reversals, in a non-workbook form since I do have Tarot for Yourself for that. I've narrowed down my search to the two aforementioned titles by Rachel Pollack.

I've searched through the forum, and the latter is clearly a highly-regarded 'classic' suggested in numerous threads by members. The former is much newer, and i've found fewer mentions of it, though those were also strongly positive. I'm leaning towards Tarot Wisdom since it sort of seems an 'updated version' of 78 degrees and also appears (unless im mistaken) to be more approachable a read?

For those who have read/skimmed/own both, what would you suggest I go with?

Yasmin

I had the same question a few years ago and when I was at the Reader's Studio last year I was fortunate enough to ask Rachel Pollack personally what book she recommended. She said that 78 Degrees would give ME the most benefit since I was using Universal Rider Waite exclusively at the time. She explained that Tarot Wisdom was updated to include using any deck.

Hope that helps.

Cassandra022

hmm, i'll keep that in mind...does make me more inclined towards tarot wisdom...thanks :]

Lela

I went with Tarot Wisdom mainly because, I don't really use the RW deck and felt that Tarot Wisdom would be more beneficial since it could apply to any deck. However, I'll probably pick up a second-hand copy of 78 Degrees eventually.

Cassandra022

How do you like Tarot Wisdom so far?

Lela

Cassandra022 said:
How do you like Tarot Wisdom so far?
I like it very much and am glad I got it. Each of the major arcana cards has a chapter detailing its history and meanings, and includes a spread to encourage you to further explore the meaning of each card. The minor cards don't get as much attention as the majors, but overall Tarot Wisdom is a very in-depth book and I definitely recommend it.

If you decide to get it, it's cheaper on discountnewagebooks.com than Amazon.

Cassandra022

wow, that is cheaper than amazon! that price might just push me to order it tonight...maybe i'll do a quick reading to see if i should just go for it already haha

thanks for that suggestion, i wasn't aware of that site at all before. im assuming they've gotten things to you in a timely manner and all that?

Lela

Cassandra022 said:
wow, that is cheaper than amazon! that price might just push me to order it tonight...maybe i'll do a quick reading to see if i should just go for it already haha

thanks for that suggestion, i wasn't aware of that site at all before. im assuming they've gotten things to you in a timely manner and all that?
Ironically, I didn't get my book from discountnewagebooks.com, so I can't vouch for their service. It wasn't till a week or so after I got my book from Amazon that I saw discountnewagebooks.com had it for cheaper, otherwise I definitely would have gotten the book from them. Can't beat that low price, right!

Cassandra022

Lela said:
Ironically, I didn't get my book from discountnewagebooks.com, so I can't vouch for their service. It wasn't till a week or so after I got my book from Amazon that I saw discountnewagebooks.com had it for cheaper, otherwise I definitely would have gotten the book from them. Can't beat that low price, right!

very true, very true. i think i am going to just go for it. hopefully everything works out fine. thanks for all of your help; i appreciate it :]

Lunalyn

I have read the 78 Degrees and it is a very thorough book and goes into the psychology and philosophy of the cards.
but I bought a more up to date book called the Tarot Bible by Sarah Bartlett and found that very good too.

a couple of weeks ago I bought Tarot: Theory and Paractice by Ly de Angeles.

I must admit I prefer the more up to date books.
there are quite a few on the market now.
good luck with what you decide on.
lyn