Art and Arcana

kabang

Is anyone familiar with the "Art and Arcana" companion book for the Medieval Scapini deck? I'm thinking of purchasing, but would like to hear some thoughts first.

Le Fanu

Yes! It's excellent! One of the best companion books out there. I don't even use the Scapini and this is one of my essential tarot titles!

teomat

I've only skimmed through this book (as I unfortunately got a 'muddy' Scapini deck with it and so lost any interest in studying the deck :(), but I actually found it very dry.

I guess there's a lot of info in it, but it reads too much like a textbook to me. The stuff is interesting, but presented in a very dull way. I didn't like the author's writing style at all, so I couldn't be bothered with reading the whole book.

sapienza

I just read my comment above and have to say I still agree with what I said. I can't say I found it dull or dry but that's just personal taste. What I do like about it is that in quite a short space it presents a lot of info and so is a good overview of a lot of concepts that are helpful if you want to explore tarot history or Qabalah etc more. It's really the introductory chapters (the first 100 or so pages) that are the best. The rest of the book is specific to the Scapini deck but also has some interesting bits, for example, for each card is listed the divinatory meanings according to both Etteilla and the Golden Dawn, which can be a handy reference.

kabang

I'm still so confused!

But Alibris does have a seller listing it for $6...

sapienza

I understand teomat didn't like the book, but loads of other people have said how great it is. And for only $6, what is there to be confused about? You really have nothing to lose and lots to gain. Honestly, it's a great little reference and even if you don't like it now, you may find it helpful down the track. :)

teomat

I think I am being a bit harsh about the book. As sapienza says, it is full of useful info which you can refer to (not just specific to the Medieval Scapini). I did peek in it after getting the Dame Fortune's Wheel tarot just to read the bit about Etteilla.

I think I was just so disappointed with my inferior deck (after paying a hefty price for the deck/book set) that it made me dismiss the book too. I still thinks it's a little dry for me, but at $6 it's definitely a bargain!

kabang

Purchase time! $6 is cheaper than fast food at this stage. :)

Hathor

Great ! I hope you got it, I think it's a fantastic book and I know you'll gain useful information. And yeah, it is cheaper than fast food and you'll have lots of time to digest it.