The Devil in a positive light

GreenDiamond

I used to think that Devil was a negative card but a while ago I figured out that it is not - at least not to me.

Let me start with a personal story. I used to be overweight, I was an emotional eater. Then one day I realized that I have to break the cycle of addiction otherwise I will never lose the excess weight. I practiced self discipline, made a strict work out schedule and nutrition plan for myself and sticked to it - then I reached my goal weigh and have maintained it since. My weight loss journey always makes me think of The Devil card.

I see The Devil card as not the addiction itself but breaking the cycle of addiction, being ambitious and reaching a goal with the help of self discipline and perseverance. Notice how on The Devil card (at least in the RWS deck) the chains around the couple's neck are so loose that they could easily remove them. This shows that the cycle can be broken, the bad habits can be left behind, but it is gonna be a long and hard journey.

The Devil is ruled by the sign of Capricorn. Capricorn season is between December 22nd and January 20th. The days in Capricorn season are still very short (the shortest day/longest night on the Northern hemisphere is on December 21st) but they are getting longer day by day. We are still in darkness, but we see the light at the end of the tunnel. Every little step takes us closer to our goal. Capricorn is all about ambition, self discipline, perseverance, materialism, goals (goals that can be achieved slowly, step by step).

I am not sure whether it makes sense but this is why I like the Devil card - it definitely taught me a lot! :)

Lucas Prince of Cats

I guess I finally realize just how capricorn that card is! I'll check that off of my list of astrological tarot associations! Anyways, so the devil as passion and self-restriction for good means... Of course! And such a good thing for those to be!

Aries1975

I have the same thought of the devil. I had asked what will mine and my daughters life be like after we move. All cards were inspiring until the outcome of the devil. It put me off at first, but when I looked over at the rest of the cards, I understood what it was telling me - that I was going to have control over my home and our life...plus, I also took a feel that I would be able to indulge in the warm feelings that have been lacking for so long. So the devil to mw can show a positive after all!

Barleywine

I like the Devil card because it shows pragmatic creativity, the ability and willingness to "break eggs to make omelettes." Crowley called it "the creative energy in its most material form" (but he kind of particularized what he was really alluding to by putting enormous male genitalia on the card). Capricorn is in the South and at the zenith in the "natural" zodiac, and the idea is of the Goat of Capricorn ascending the "highest summits of the Earth;" it has turned the corner on Spring, even if the heights are still barren at that time of the year. It's the creative urge at its most primal and unalloyed; it reminds me more of Van Gogh than Monet.

GreenDiamond

Thank you all for the replies so far, hopefully more people will share why they think The Devil can be a positive card :)

SmokeyQuirks

I can certainly say I've always been offput by the Devil and had to learn more about how it can be a good thing but I've never thought of it like this. And the Devil being one of my birth cards, this makes it much more.... uplifting and kind of awesome. hahah Thank you for your insight!

Barleywine

I can certainly say I've always been offput by the Devil and had to learn more about how it can be a good thing but I've never thought of it like this. And the Devil being one of my birth cards, this makes it much more.... uplifting and kind of awesome. hahah Thank you for your insight!

Great! Just keep aiming high and don't let anyone put your feet into "cement overshoes." :)

Lucas Prince of Cats

Capricorn

Also, the devil is suppose to be connected to Capricorn and I always think of capeicorns as the hard workers, so I correlated it sigh the passion of the devil, but this video clears it up when she talks about restraints https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pm1h_pz7bHI and Saturn could be the tower, of course!

reinadetazas

I've always seen the Devil as a call to action - a situation where all someone needs to do is realize they have the power to control circumstances and choose to walk away from their grievances. I would think this is a positive card; rather than being stuck in a bad situation like the 3 or 10 of Swords which, to me, seem to say "this sucks, take the hit and move on." Those cards feel like a lack of control matched with unfortunate circumstances vs. something you can entirely walk away from. So I see the Devil as a form of encouraging empowerment.

Ruby Jewel

I used to think that Devil was a negative card but a while ago I figured out that it is not - at least not to me.

Let me start with a personal story. I used to be overweight, I was an emotional eater. Then one day I realized that I have to break the cycle of addiction otherwise I will never lose the excess weight. I practiced self discipline, made a strict work out schedule and nutrition plan for myself and sticked to it - then I reached my goal weigh and have maintained it since. My weight loss journey always makes me think of The Devil card.

I see The Devil card as not the addiction itself but breaking the cycle of addiction, being ambitious and reaching a goal with the help of self discipline and perseverance. Notice how on The Devil card (at least in the RWS deck) the chains around the couple's neck are so loose that they could easily remove them. This shows that the cycle can be broken, the bad habits can be left behind, but it is gonna be a long and hard journey.

The Devil is ruled by the sign of Capricorn. Capricorn season is between December 22nd and January 20th. The days in Capricorn season are still very short (the shortest day/longest night on the Northern hemisphere is on December 21st) but they are getting longer day by day. We are still in darkness, but we see the light at the end of the tunnel. Every little step takes us closer to our goal. Capricorn is all about ambition, self discipline, perseverance, materialism, goals (goals that can be achieved slowly, step by step).

I am not sure whether it makes sense but this is why I like the Devil card - it definitely taught me a lot! :)

I have changed my opinion of the Devil card to be one of a form of enlightenment. For instance, I was drawing the Devil card every single time I asked the cards about a certain person and was mistakenly attributing the Devil's qualities to that person.....this was over several readings...not just two or three....more like eight or more and I was becoming completely convinced that this was not a person I wanted to be with. Then for some reason I don't remember now, I considered something entirely different.....that the Devil card was referring to ME. Indeed, I was the one obsessed with a past relationship that I needed to relinquish in order to move ahead into a new one. Interestingly, as soon as I recognized this the Devil card quit coming up. It was a real source of enlightenment and growth for me, so when it comes to the Devil card my advice is to keep an open and objective mind about it....it is both good and bad, but it is also saying you have something to learn about yourself.