The Fool and fear

magpie9

Traditionally, (RWS) the fools bundle represents all wisdom...but I kinda wonder if perhaps it represents the negative emotions (hurt, fear, anger, etc,.) that would slow him down on his journey, and get in the way of his fearless trusting.
Of course, that would make him either a Wise Fool, or an Emotionally Dysfunctional one....or maybe only just distanced?

BrightEye

magpie9 said:
Traditionally, (RWS) the fools bundle represents all wisdom...but I kinda wonder if perhaps it represents the negative emotions (hurt, fear, anger, etc,.) that would slow him down on his journey, and get in the way of his fearless trusting.
Of course, that would make him either a Wise Fool, or an Emotionally Dysfunctional one....or maybe only just distanced?
So if you got the Fool in the feelings position, this is what it could mean to you? A kind of reversed Fool?

caridwen

They Fool is entering a new cycle. He carries his wisdom lightly and steps into the unknown without fear. As feelings, it may mean that the other person is ignorant of any feelings. That they enter the relationship without fear because they know no fear. He ignores any warnings for good or bad and lets nothing stand in his way. As he steps over the cliff edge, he is not aware off, he may fly or fall. That's the point - it's stepping into the unknown without knowing where you will end up.

jmd

The concept of Fear and cowardice fits very well with one sense of the depiction, where on 12th century Cathedrals (Amiens and Paris for two of these) Cowardice is depicted with a person dropping his weapon in fear as a rabbit or hare jumps towards him from behind.

http://fourhares.com/images/Amiens_Mat.jpg

Makes one think of the 1972 film Night of the Lepus, or Monty Python's "Holy Grail"!

Sheri

When I got my Visconti deck, there was a differentl looking Fool. He looked like he had regrets about what he had done - and he was wearing feathers in his hair like a crown.

I thought it was odd until I did some research and discovered that this Fool seems to be modeled after 'La Stoltezza' (The Stupidity) which is one of the Allegories of the Virtues and Vices carvings at Scrovegni Chapel. Those carvings took my breath away!

I believe I read that both the carvings and the deck was done by the same artist, so it would seem to make sense that the inspiration for a Fool would be a depiction of Stupidity. However, the Fool wasn't shown as Stupidity is - walking off with eyes skyward, oblivious to what is ahead - this depiction is like 'the morning after,' and there did seem to be fear of 'what have I gotten myself in for?' It put the Fool in a whole new perspective for me. Sorry to sound ignorant - but perhaps during this time period behaving like a Fool was frowned upon so it was depicted within the context of the aftermath?

I've attached an image I found for the Fool in the Visconti. I'll post a better image tomorrow when I have better light to take a photo.

valeria

oh! Night of the Lepus - one of my FAV movies! :D

Attachments

• ViscontiFool.jpg
    ViscontiFool.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 465

BrightEye

valeria said:
When I got my Visconti deck, there was a differentl looking Fool. He looked like he had regrets about what he had done - and he was wearing feathers in his hair like a crown.

I thought it was odd until I did some research and discovered that this Fool seems to be modeled after 'La Stoltezza' (The Stupidity) which is one of the Allegories of the Virtues and Vices carvings at Scrovegni Chapel. Those carvings took my breath away!

I believe I read that both the carvings and the deck was done by the same artist, so it would seem to make sense that the inspiration for a Fool would be a depiction of Stupidity. However, the Fool wasn't shown as Stupidity is - walking off with eyes skyward, oblivious to what is ahead - this depiction is like 'the morning after,' and there did seem to be fear of 'what have I gotten myself in for?' It put the Fool in a whole new perspective for me. Sorry to sound ignorant - but perhaps during this time period behaving like a Fool was frowned upon so it was depicted within the context of the aftermath?
This and jmd's comments make a lot of sense. I've never thought of the Fool as having regrets/ stupidity (what have I let myself in for), but it would fit the situation perfectly. I suppose it's another aspect of the Fool representing folly. But I was using the RWS for these draws, and this Fool doesn't look like he has any regrets. I'm beginning to think though that the deck used doesn't matter. It's the idea behind the image that matters.

caridwen

But that is why the Fool is 0. He may leap into any part of the Tarot cycle, even the Tower. To me, he is the Trickster and the most likely to get you into trouble.

BrightEye

caridwen said:
To me, he is the Trickster and the most likely to get you into trouble.
Which for prudent minds would be good reason not to jump.

caridwen

BrightEye said:
Which for prudent minds would be good reason not to jump.

Prudent yes and the least adventurous. Also those with the least faith in the Universe or themselves. If the Fool doesn't jump, he won't go on his Tarot Journey and he will stagnate.

BrightEye

caridwen said:
Prudent yes and the least adventurous. Also those with the least faith in the Universe or themselves. If the Fool doesn't jump, he won't go on his Tarot Journey and he will stagnate.
A good ponder. Maybe I should forward this to the person in question.