"The Lovers" in Career Reading

ChelseaWaters

I got "The Lovers" card in a career reading in the position of "Is present career path what is truly desired?"

Not sure if this is a very positive card and that I'm "destined" for this career (writing) or if it means that I'm faced with making a decision about maybe considering something else (I'm only 19) and if there are diverging paths ahead of me.

Thank you.

cSpaceDiva

I will be honest, I rarely see the Lovers representing romantic or sexual love, or even as representing different people. I usually see it as unresolved, conflicting aspects of the self, and I think it is especially true here. It is like yin and yang within yourself pulling you in different directions. So with your question, "Is present career path what is truly desired?", the problem is that you haven't really worked out what you desire. Some parts of you say yes, some parts say no.

I find that yes/no (aka closed-ended) questions such as yours can be challenging in tarot. It may be helpful to ask a follow-up question like, 'which career path will best meet my desires at this time?' or 'what are the next steps I should to take towards my career?'.

I hope this helps, Good luck!

intuitivetarot

I got "The Lovers" card in a career reading in the position of "Is present career path what is truly desired?"

Not sure if this is a very positive card and that I'm "destined" for this career (writing) or if it means that I'm faced with making a decision about maybe considering something else (I'm only 19) and if there are diverging paths ahead of me.

Thank you.

Try clarifying it with a separate spread. I'd leave the lovers card out and shuffle the remaining 77 cards, then divide into about 3 decks and take out a card from each deck (usually top) to place under the lovers card for clarification. Be sure to post which three cards you pulled out!

yannie

I had the Lovers come up for me in a career reading too, and have been living that for some time. Not easy, but so satisfying. It simply means: What does your heart tell you? You may be at/come to a crossroads at some point, and when that happens let your heart guide your decision. It may not be an easy decision; it can be clear, yet painful, but you know in your heart of hearts what to do.

Genevieve

Thank you.

The Lovers to me is about choosing what feels right and nurishes your soul. What makes your soul happy? What fills you with joy?

As yannie said: What does your heart say?

LifesALoofah

Thank you.

I remember having that card come up when I asked the cards should I be a social worker or a nurse (I chose nursing, LOL). It's a choice. Both choices can benefit you, but, which one does your soul say will be better?! It's a Major Arcana which means it's a transformation type of deal. This choice is important. It's a HUGE choice. I've always felt positive about The Lovers in career readings because it meant I'd have choices on what to do, even if they don't seem clean, cut, nor dry. So, I say follow your nose & sit at your fork in the road and feel-out what is best for you. I don't know what method you have developed to help you focus on what path you may want to follow (prayer, runes, meditation, doing things first and figuring whether you like it or not, etc.), but, after getting something like that, it could be something to look into.

ChelseaWaters

Try clarifying it with a separate spread. I'd leave the lovers card out and shuffle the remaining 77 cards, then divide into about 3 decks and take out a card from each deck (usually top) to place under the lovers card for clarification. Be sure to post which three cards you pulled out!

Hi IntuitiveTarot!

Thanks for your response!

I did this and these are the cards that came out.
ba251213bf387ba01f821e8d389f4c31.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what the court cards mean here but I thought it interesting how the 3 of Pentacles came up as I had that in mind while I was shuffling the cards and suddenly wondered about which cards would be related to which profession/career and how I'd be able to determine that... Let me know what you think. [emoji4]

ChelseaWaters

I will be honest, I rarely see the Lovers representing romantic or sexual love, or even as representing different people. I usually see it as unresolved, conflicting aspects of the self, and I think it is especially true here. It is like yin and yang within yourself pulling you in different directions. So with your question, "Is present career path what is truly desired?", the problem is that you haven't really worked out what you desire. Some parts of you say yes, some parts say no.

I find that yes/no (aka closed-ended) questions such as yours can be challenging in tarot. It may be helpful to ask a follow-up question like, 'which career path will best meet my desires at this time?' or 'what are the next steps I should to take towards my career?'.

I hope this helps, Good luck!

Thanks for your answer SpaceDiva. I once heard that The Lovers card was the ultimate "love" card, of higher energy than the 2 of Cups. So when it came up in the reading I quickly assumed that It means I was "destined" for my current career path and that it was meant to be. Something that indeed for the most part of my life I believed I was meant to be doing. It was not too long ago that I finally landed a writing job. And even though it was in journalism as opposed to say, writing a novel or something leaning more towards the creative side of writing as I had always dreamed of, the mere career in writing is only something I always considered I would only be able to hope for (even though maybe I have never really thought of it through) in short, if I took a step back and look at things, it was a dream come true. However, I'm starting to have second thoughts about whether or not this is really what I want to pursue. I'm having a gap year before entering uni and I have yet to decide a major. The options seem endless to me and I have a hard time committing myself to just one thing. So while The Lovers card felt reassuring in perhaps an unrealistic way and something that I would *want* to believe since I'm having a hard time accepting that what I thought and hoped I'd always be doing might not be my true passion afterall, it also felt like something was missing from the picture. "Conflicting aspects of the self" sounds accurate!

Thank you!

ChelseaWaters

I had the Lovers come up for me in a career reading too, and have been living that for some time. Not easy, but so satisfying. It simply means: What does your heart tell you? You may be at/come to a crossroads at some point, and when that happens let your heart guide your decision. It may not be an easy decision; it can be clear, yet painful, but you know in your heart of hearts what to do.

Thanks for your response Yannie!

This sounds relatable. Writing has always been something I may have spent my entire life a little bit unrealistically thinking I would always be doing but now that I actually have started working and stepped into the "real world" I'm starting to have second thoughts about it. It's especially hard because I've never really thought about other alternatives.

ChelseaWaters

I remember having that card come up when I asked the cards should I be a social worker or a nurse (I chose nursing, LOL). It's a choice. Both choices can benefit you, but, which one does your soul say will be better?! It's a Major Arcana which means it's a transformation type of deal. This choice is important. It's a HUGE choice. I've always felt positive about The Lovers in career readings because it meant I'd have choices on what to do, even if they don't seem clean, cut, nor dry. So, I say follow your nose & sit at your fork in the road and feel-out what is best for you. I don't know what method you have developed to help you focus on what path you may want to follow (prayer, runes, meditation, doing things first and figuring whether you like it or not, etc.), but, after getting something like that, it could be something to look into.

Thank you for your insights LifesAloofah!

I'm not sure if it was the same for you but to be quite honest, the financial aspect of it is part of the reason why I'm reconsidering my current career path, aside from self doubts about my skills and ability (yes the part where you said "huge" and "important" choice is true and yes I probably would have gone off denying this for a much longer time if I weren't in a discussion about it right now, so thank you). Thanks for your advice. I really do hope I figure things out soon and find out what it is I really am meant to be doing if I do choose a different path.