The New Universe Cards

Debra

My immediate reaction is that the new images pull me in more quickly--I feel I'm with the image, instead of looking at it. Very intriguing.

Little Hare

I don't have you old deck, but i just looked at it. I MUST HAVE IT! I'm obsessed with stars and all sorts of universe type things. Looking at your new cards i love that they don't have borders, but from what i've seen i personally prefer the older deck, for reasons that Room has already stated.

i think i'm going to be acquiring a new deck very soon! :D

Amaris

I love some of the new cards, but not as a replacement[/] for the old set. I'd probably use them both, at different times, for different purposes. My Universe Cards are my most trusted Oracle deck, and I find them readable. I love the borderless look, Kay, and thanks for keeping the names and keywords. I admit that without those, I probably wouldn't find them very readable either. I'd definitely, much to my hubby's chagrin, need to own a set of the new ones if they were available.

Annabelle

room said:
I personally prefer the first edition and find this new one looks too
Photoshop-y with the overlay of butterflies and such. In some cases, it has almost hidden the stellar imagery.

One of the reasons I liked the original set was the mysteriousness of the pictures of the Universe. The new version looks twee to me, it covers up the power inherent in the images and makes the cards look cutesy.

Sorry, I just LOVE the original Kay, it's one of the finest and most original oracles I own.
Agreed, entirely. I love the original version so much . . . and the "revised" version looks very much like a Photoshop experiment gone overboard.

That's not to say that the updated cards aren't beautiful; but they aren't my cup of tea. I'll stick with the original version :).

Leo62

Thanks for the feedback jackdaw, lunakasha, huredriel, Debra, peace_pixie, Amaris, and Annabelle4 :)

We do hope to publish a version of this deck in some form, now the copyright has reverted to me. They are not intended as a "replacement" for the old deck; the original is still out there for those that prefer it.

I'm interested in the Photoshop comments - these images have been a lot less "photoshopped" than our Quantum Tarot images, which were never commented on in that way. Perhaps there's always a danger of changing something radically that's already out there...

The original deck - some of the images are very beautiful, but there are more than a few (too many) that didn't quite work for me. It was the best I could do at the time - and now, I was glad to be able to revisit them and make something that is closer to my heart. I know it may be disconcerting for those that like the original to see it so changed, but I'm just going to be selfish, lol. ;)

Little Hare

i'm glad to hear your being selfish! after all there YOU babies :D

Leo62

LOL, thanks peace_pixie ;)

Edited to add:
I've thought about this some more, and I think there was a difference of approach behind the creation of the two versions. With the original deck, I tried to be as literal as possible, using photographs of the actual phenomena for the cards. This was fine for things like planets and nebulae, where there were an abundance of lovely photos. However, the only photos available for things like quasars, red dwarves and pulsars were out-of-focus blobs in the distance - these were tiny, distant or exotic objects and there weren't any decent visual representations available. My solution at the time - a compromise - was to use artist's impressions. I was never very happy with this, but it seemed the only way out...
With the revised version, we took a symbolic approach (though wherever possible we have used an image of the actual phenomena). We tried to find one essential symbol for each card and then combine it with the "real thing." However, there are some cards - such as the 4 forces cards - that have ended up being purely symbolic. For me, this has been a much more satisfying solution - a best-of-both-worlds combination of the lovely Hubble pictures with a symbolic visual representation of the meaning of the card. I think that's why, for me, the new deck is much more readable.

jackdaw*

Leo62 said:
I'm interested in the Photoshop comments - these images have been a lot less "photoshopped" than our Quantum Tarot images, which were never commented on in that way.
I love the look of the Quantum, and am waiting for it (somewhat) patiently. But I think what I like of the Universe Cards is their unvarnished and pure quality. Here is the phenomenon, make of it what you will. I like it for an oracle. It works, and you can draw your own conclusions. It's stark and vast.

But the Quantum is a Tarot deck. And I like a little more "meat" to interpret on my Tarot cards. So of course it is a lot more Photoshoppy, but as it introduces the scenes, the faces and figures, the symbolism I expect from a Tarot deck, it works.

Don't get me wrong, the new cards are stunning! But I fell in love with your originals first ... ;)

Leo62

I know what you mean, jd. It is quite a radical change to the deck's "feel." I hope the two versions will be able to co-exist in peace!

As for the Quantum Tarot, sorry about the long delay, but I can tell you that we are in negotiations to produce a majors-only version in the next couple of months...I'll let you know more once everything has been finalised ;)

Little Baron

Kay,

Is this final version the one that I saw in person? Or have you changed it since then?

LB