The Process (Part One) The Skeptic

Sinner

Umbrae said:
We spend our lives communicating with others. Much of what we process, is unconscious, the silent language we all use everyday and never ponder.

I thought this was an interesting claim, can you clarify and perhaps give examples as to why you think this way?

psychic sue

Umbrae - Total Respect.

Sue x

wellspring

Umbrae, really enjoyed reading your post. Fascinating, and beautifully written. Looking forward to the next instalment!
Cat

DarkElectric

The subsequent posts are already here, good people! Someone has resurrected the first in this wonderful and ever so informative series. The wisdom here is invaluable. I suggest you look them up, and read them all. More than once. It's good for you.

firemaiden

Umbrae said:
We spend our lives communicating with others. Much of what we process, is unconscious, the silent language we all use everyday and never ponder.

Sinner said:
I thought this was an interesting claim, can you clarify and perhaps give examples as to why you think this way?

Actually, Sinner, the notion of the unconscious has already been explained and explored rather well already by Freud and Jung, and the field of psychoanalysis and psychology.

Sinner

So is it just about universal archetypes then?
The wording made it sound like something supernatural to me.
Also, I don't know much, but wasn't it mostly Jung who tried to prove these things and criticise Freud?

Sophie

Sinner, if you reread the sentence you quoted you will see it is about non-verbal unconscious communication between individuals, not about archetypes. Both Freud and Jung studied these though they did fall out about certain aspects and interpretations of the unconsious (the subconscious as Freud called it). This is separate from Jung's interest in the "collective unconscious" - and what has been called archetypes, though some dispute these actually exist.

Sinner

Thats what I thought at first, but to me, it sounded more subtle than that. Like something different altogether, so I hestitaed to mention it.
I know theres alot of criticisms but I was just looking for an example of what was meant.

mythos

I was a social worker in the education system here for many years. Most of the people I saw had been sent ot see me because someone else - with more power - had decided that they (the ... in tarot palance, sitter) had a problem.

The whole issue of developing rapport was, arguably, the most important part of the process. Without that ... nothing happens ... communication is blocked.

Because I rarely read for others ... and then, my face-to-face readings are for friends, or people aching for a reading ... I've not had to deal with the sceptic. Nonetheless, old habits die hard, and I am glad of it ... rapport building for the reading experience is as important with a reading as it was in my previous professional life.

You have provided me with some ideas that I hadn't considered. I still see myself more as a socialworker/psychologist who happens to read cards, than a tarot reader who once happened to be a social worker/psychologist. This shift in perception is an important one, I think.

So, again thank you my friend ...

mythos :) :smoker: & coyote X 2