The red violin

Majecot

FM I am surprised... the reading was thru out the movie... were you otherwise engaged? })

I loved this movie, a few years ago a friend brought it over when we used to have "movie night" and it really left us all thinking. I was just looking the other night on Amazon to see if I could get a copy of it for myself. It is a sleeper/keeper. :D

firemaiden

LOL! nope. I guess tarot just hadn't entered my consciousness yet, so there was no way for it to register. :D

Majecot

Hehe..I guess you will just have to watch it again :D

Aure

I can't believe my eyes!! this question has been eating me for days now!!

The movie was on tv a couple of days ago here and unfortunately I only saw the end of it. I started to wonder what the deck was because it seemed really beautiful and I liked the aged look.

This thread seems to be a couple of years old and now it just jumped in front of my eyes!! Weird...

firemaiden

Well, majecot, under your orders, I rented the movie and watched it again. By Golly, you're right, there is a tarot reading!

Funny thing that! I certainly had remembered very little about it, and the plot. Well, I can tell you the spread was just five cards. They were all majors (duh). Just spread out in a line.

1 - (Cremona, Italy) The Moon - "un viaggio.. un lungo viaggo" ... (a "trip", hunh?) (or was it her way of avoiding saying "Death in childbirth" - where death and birth both are a passage through the pillars?... and then rebirth as the violin with a soul of a woman.

2 - (Swiss Alps? then Vienna, then gypsy voyages all over) The Hanged man.. hm.. "c'? una maledizione su di te signora... pericolo, per chi si trova su tuo incanto, e sono molti, molti... ? una carta potente...l'Impeccato, vedo il pericolo, infirmit?, malatia..."

"There hangs a curse on you, signora, danger for those who fall under your spell, and they are many, many, it is a powerful card, the hanged man, I see danger, infirmity, disease, sickness..."

and then... un tempo di libert? ... la tua ? un'anima de Lazaro
a time of liberty, yours is the soul of Lazarus

3. (Oxford) The Devil, represented a great English violinist. "Mr. Pope" ( A Devil named "Pope" hahahah) This devil card - looks like it only has one attached creature, but... the chains to the second are still visible (LOL) - perhaps the artist just took a Marseille deck and erased the second creature. S/he also drew underpants on the devil, along with a hat and a beard, and made the subbordinated woman ressemble Mr. Pope's girlfriend.

4. (Shanghai) Justice - wearing a grey chinese communist party hat, with the communist flag behind : "There will be a trial, and you will be found guilty" Western Classical music on trial in the cultural revolution...

5. (Montreal) Death Reversed -"una nascita" a rebirth - the violin is ressurcted - restored, repaired, returned to the limelight.

There were other cards visible during the credits, including the Wheel I think... I wish they had been clearer on the screen.

Majecot

Wow Firemaiden... you paused and took notes didn't you ;)
Well you are making me want to watch it all over again. I did not take notice of which cards were turned over, I was wrapped up in the story itself when I watched it.
What I remember about the reading was the old lady was a little scary, and intense that and I think that she had the girl pick the cards, but my memory is kind of vauge on the details. It took me a while to realize what the flashbacks were really refering too.

TemperanceAngel

heehee, the person who built my new computer put a whole load of music and dvd's on it for me and I just found them and guess what's on there???
You guessed it: The Red Violin!

*TA is very happy*

Osher

I've got this film on DVD, and seen it quite a few times in the past few years. Funny, like the FireM I didn't recall the Tarot cards in it either. Lovely film, but one of those which you either love or are bored by. I've tried watching it with friends, but they mostly switch off (literally too!).

Some films are Tarot, the more they are used and looked into, the more they improve, and the more is found. Yet like Tarot, not everyone appreciates the subtle nature of the film, or can see the multiple layers. I'm just trying to think of other films in the same vein.

firemaiden

Majecot wrote:Wow Firemaiden... you paused and took notes didn't you ;)

Yup! I kept trying to see the cards more clearly. Funny thing is, they were flashed on the screen so very briefly, it was well nigh impossible to get a good glimpse - it was intentional I think to make it impossible to really see the card. I imagine the doctoring of the cards was probably supposed to be an in-joke.