The Sherlock Holmes Tarot

karen0205

New update from Eddison Sadd Editions on FB. I posted a question about the SH deck yesterday.

The Sherlock Holmes Tarot Updated 3 hours ago
We are all a bit excited at the office waiting on the arrival on our first copies of The Sherlock Holmes Tarot
by John Matthews and Wil Kinghan. Before the weekend comes I've managed to get a few cards for you to
see before publication. Available in the shops and online from April 2014. © Eddison Sadd Editions

here's a link to the pictures, let me know if any of you can't get to fb to see them
I will post them

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.609894029057856.1073741830.192272647486665&type=1

Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, they changed all the names of the majors and the suits.
For example, instead of Major 18 being The Moon, it's The Hound Of Baskerville. bummer

Cocobird55

Thanks for the link. The cards are lovely, but I hate it when they get renamed. I'm up in the air about this one.

karen0205

Thanks for the link. The cards are lovely, but I hate it when they get renamed. I'm up in the air about this one.
Me too.
I don't want to have to look at the title and convert it in my head. I want the
traditional titles. The converting takes me out of my reading. It's distracting.
I am so bummed. I love Sherlock and was anxiously awaiting this.

shadowdancer

Having seen these images I think I will be passing. The minors do not strike me as really having anything to do with Tarot. I may be doing it a disservice bearing in mind there are only a few images to go on, but I just feel this is a shoe-horn attempt to get the theme to fit Tarot. I am hoping to be proved wrong, and will post giving credit if that is the case.

starlightexp

Gosh darn it I think I'm going to have to pass as well. I may still get talked into it if I see a few good reviews but the suits don't look to make much sense either way.

Winterchild

Not sure if there is another thread on this deck after people actually received it. I read a quick review on Carla's blog and was enabled, but the deck just arrived, and I have doubts.

The suits:

Observation - Swords

Evidence - Wands

Analysis - Cups

Deduction - Pentacles

It doesn't yet add up for me, and makes no sense in the traditional narrative of the RWS or any other Tarot I know of. I know that these two deck creators approach things a little differently, but this is a little bizarre to me right now.

I will have to read the book, and really look at the cards to see what I can deduce (;-/)...

I know the stories, may need a wee refresher as I haven't indulged in the modern remakes... not for me. This one could take a lot of getting to know, but I may try it intuitively and compare with another more standard deck and see what happens. Could just need the application of a little, or a lot of lateral thinking.

But cups as Analysis? Not that any of the others fit.

The Majors seem more fitting, but again, this is my first response on a quick flip through.

Anyone else got it?

GlitterNova

Oh man, I can imagine Sherlock Holmes being QUITE amused by the decision to make a tarot deck about him. It just seems like an odd theme for a deck, though. I feel like Sherlock wouldn't approve of tarot, psychics, divination, etc. He was pretty much the ultimate cold reader, y'know? Then again, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was into Spiritualism pretty heavily, if I remember. Either way, I get the feeling this deck will sell pretty well.

conurelover

Am I looking at the incorrect Sherlock Holmes Tarot on Amazon? It says it will be released in August.

rosetiger12

Am I looking at the incorrect Sherlock Holmes Tarot on Amazon? It says it will be released in August.

I think it's the right one on Amazon. The picture on the FB link karen posted looks like the one on Amazon. Decks from European publishers seem to get released over there first, then maybe boat shipped to Amazon's warehouses later.

There are a couple other decks I was looking at the other day that are out in Europe but not on Amazon.ca for me yet.

Winterchild

Mine came from the UK good old book depository... Maybe that's why I haven't heard much about it... Nice card stock... Same as The Wildwood... Same size cards too... Still very new...