The Tarot of Vampyres

Le Fanu

Aerin said:
Is it really, really Thoth??? (To someone who knows Thoth well, I don't.)
No. I don't know well, but I don't think it is...

Le Fanu

OctoberGwen said:
What is it with this deck? I've bought and traded it twice now. When I have it, I enjoy it briefly and then inevitably think, "Why do I have this in my house?" After it's been gone for a while, I get a sudden inexplicable craving for it again.
Remind me next time you get cravings and I can send you mine.

Grizabella

I love this deck and I had no idea it was Thoth-based. I don't "do" Thoth and have no idea how you spot Thoth in it, so I guess ignorance is bliss because I've just been reading with it like I read my RWS decks. I guess this would explain, though, why I sometimes hit a glitch spot when I look at a card that seems to have no relationship to what I'm used to seeing using the RWS context, if that makes any sense.

But oh well----I dearly love the deck and it's worked fine for me aside from giving me pause now and then, so I think I'm going to just go ahead and use it. In fact, I wish I had a backup for it. And I don't even usually keep backup decks anymore. :p

Does it say somewhere in the book that it's Thoth-based? How do you know it is?

Le Fanu

Grizabella said:
Does it say somewhere in the book that it's Thoth-based? How do you know it is?
No, I think it is that the Tree of Life stuff in the book and the Kabbalah references bear some similarities to what people expect from Thoth. Plus quite a few of the cards - but not all - echo the Thoth. I always find, for example, the 2 of Wands (gyrating warrior gripping firmly on his spear) reminds me more of "Dominion" in the Thoth than the RWS equivalent. Plus the 7 of Cups has a kind of greeny gloop and "debauched" atmosphere. Touches like this, but it isn't particularly emphatic. Lillie posted on it somewhere (maybe at the beginning of this thread).

But you should just read how you normally read Griz and not worry about it. If you love the deck I'm sure you read well with it.

ZKEI

Le Fanu said:
Plus quite a few of the cards - but not all - echo the Thoth. I always find, for example, the 2 of Wands (gyrating warrior gripping firmly on his spear) reminds me more of "Dominion" in the Thoth than the RWS equivalent. Plus the 7 of Cups has a kind of greeny gloop and "debauched" atmosphere.

Agree :)

This deck would be Thoth-inspired rather than Thoth-clone.
6 of Skulls (Pentacles) seems to be more "Success" in Thoth than "Giving/Receiving" in RWS.
6 of Grails (Cups) also reminds me of "Pleasure" than some kinds of "Nostalgia".

:)

hopena

I'm enjoying this deck more than I did when I bought it in October.

Morwenna

I've been shying away from Thoth-type things, but the comments here make me think I might find this deck to be a "gateway" deck for things Thoth. (It doesn't hurt that I'm reading Pollack's Tarot Wisdom right now, which references lots of systems' take on cards.) This deck is still on my wish list.

Hedera

I've just taken this deck out again; there is something about summer that makes me yearn for darker things....

As I'd just switched from using the Jolanda tarot, I noticed that the book for the Vampyres also works really well for the Jolanda (that has two books written for it so far, but both in Swedish)!
I like the book quite a bit; it's rather everything-and-the-kitchen-sink-ish, but I find the general tone very positive and constructive, and I can just take from it what seems appropriate for the particular spread and situation.

Le Fanu

Maybe I should give this deck another go, but - I'm the opposite - Vampyres (or vampires) go with winter and autumn. Now's not the time for me. But I should give it another try.

It's probably the most readable exclusively vampire deck (for me anyway).

With summer, I'm onto other things. I also find with decks that, more and more, I have to wait till all the hype dies down before I can take a deck on its own terms, undistracted.

WolfyJames

Strange, when I use a deck, I use it all year long. Well, I used the Liber T all year long up until I got the Vampyres one and I'm still using solely the Vampyres since I bought it in december 2010.

Le Fanu said:
Maybe I should give this deck another go, but - I'm the opposite - Vampyres (or vampires) go with winter and autumn. Now's not the time for me. But I should give it another try.

It's probably the most readable exclusively vampire deck (for me anyway).

With summer, I'm onto other things. I also find with decks that, more and more, I have to wait till all the hype dies down before I can take a deck on its own terms, undistracted.

Glad to hear that the Vampyres is at least readable to you, it's better than not getting anything out if it. I understand your attitude though about needing to wait for the hype to die down, but I'm in my case I don't do it for tarot decks but for movies, tv series and books. More I'm told I should watch x less I want to do it. I did exactly that with the tv show Buffy, and the badly french version my mother watched didn't help, but a few years ago I borrowed my mother's DVDs and watched Buffy in English and ended up liking the show.