Thoth - List of Editions.

Lillie

Ages ago I said the Hong Kong one was first. (cos Vincent told me it was...)

But I got shouted down......

:D

gregory

By me among others :D Because I believe my copy was a first printing (not counting the Sangreal) given when I bought it - and it was NOT printed in Hong Kong.....

But let's face it, we can never know for sure.... Unless anyone here is into carbon dating ???

Voron

gregory said:
I think I have the exact DECK (regular size yes ?) The backs match ! and so do the three maguses ! but with a different box and LWB. Now that you mention it it is FAR more coloured than any of my others. I got it from Somerville - but as Muller (who technically published mine) I suspect a Muller now would get you the more washed out ones ! Bought 1989; dated 1986 (like yours) - no ISBN though.

I just got the 1987 Deck I just ordered in the mail -- it is truly beautiful--I'd forgotten how breathtakingly the deck actually is-- but would you believe that the Box is actually *different* than the one I already have?!

Here's the difference: One the box I just got, while the front and back and sides are the same, the top flap has red writing on it and some textual differences, for example. it says "Booklet printed in U.S.A., Cards printed in Switzerland" (among other things) while the box I already had says "Deck printed in Switzerland" (with other publishishing info) and is only in black ink only. (the bold is my addition) On the bottom flap, there is are no bar codes.

Gregory: Which do you have?

The cards are almost the same as the ones I had. My old ones are still just a little more intense. Comparison or the two extra Magus/Magician cards shows the Bear behind the wavy arm one to be more purpley. And the bent-arm one's skin is a bit of a richer bronze. The back's on my old one's are a bit richer, too. But it's a subtle difference, and I'm very happy, regardless if I have to continue my search for the *perfect* Thoth.

Upon comparison with the 1996 US Games Belgium deck I have, I realized the overwhelming problem with that deck is that it's reds are virtually non-existant. It is astonishing what a diffeerence it makes. It shows especially well on 'Virtue'/3 wands and The Emperor. Also, Ace & Princess of Wands. So, I'm calling that deck the "De-redded (dreaded) Thoth" or the "Un-red-dy (unready) Thoth".

Teheuti

gregory said:
My first Thoth (earliest)was not printed in HK, is a gold box Weiser labelled OTO (type A on TG chart), and was bought in 1974 or 5 at the latest......
Carl W. says the Hong Kong deck was first (hey, he published it!) and that it came out in 1969 - though I know lots of people were looking for copies and couldn't find one. They did some color correcting on the negatives after that (good thing as the colors are awful!). I'm not sure if my first copy was Llewellyn or Weiser as it is long gone (got damaged), but I bought it around 1973.

The Sangreal deck was 1969 according to my information.

It was not the first deck as there was a private British one - my notes say: "the cards were produced in monochromatic brown, printed in a limited edition of 200, dated March 21, 1944, and not available to the general public." Since I knew someone in 1971 who had seen one of these (the then-manager of Atlantis Books in London who I was dating) I believe that it existed. He gave me my first copy of the _Book of Thoth_ in 1970. It was published by K@shmarin Press, Shambhala, Berkeley CA in 1969.

Mary

Skimo

Does anyone knows the Tarot Crowley by Fabbri Editions?

I have seen one listed on ebay, and I hadn't heard about this edition.

There is the empress on the box, and the colors seems a little different from the AGM and USG editions I have...

I am curious...

Abrac

I've never heard of that one either. It must be fairly obscure. Is Fabbri well-known in France?

Dean

Skimo,

DO you mean this version below

Attachments

• fabbri.jpg
    fabbri.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 321

Skimo

Yes, it is this version, but Edition Fabbri are not wellknown in France as far as I know.

Dean

Skimo said:
Yes, it is this version, but Edition Fabbri are not wellknown in France as far as I know.

funnily enough Skimo i have never seen this version of the Thoth, i first seen it advertised on AGM but i couldn't translate it as it was in french, i see there is one going on ebay at the moment.

I just wondered if anyone here with a copy could put up some pictures of the cards.

Abrac

Sometimes a small publisher will issue a version of some deck as more of a novelty than anything; as in the case of the Tarot For Beginners, a printing of the Fournier Marseille by Funtime Ltd. It's out there, but you never see it that often. That may be what we have here. From the picture on the box it does look like a nice one, but it would be good to see more of the cards.