Thoth - List of Editions.

Dean

U.k

Hi Marion thanks for that link, i'am just looking around to see what's available to buy. Have you got the new 2005 edition of the Thoth by Urania i was told it was worth getting.

Alta

The edition is not yet released. The deluxe version is supposedly out in september and the other one in November, according to the web site.

I have:
Thoth (1969, gold box, Llewellyn: printed in USA)
Thoth (AGMueller, large)
Thoth (AGMueller, small)

(it is in my profile). Does not really qualify me as a Thoth collector. I have had several interesting discussions with Rusty Neon in person comparing editions and also others online though.

I expect to get the Urania 'newly digitized' release out of interest.

Lillie

Where is Rusty Neon?

He hasn't been here for ages.

So, Deanres.

Are you trying to collect all the Thoth editios that were ever published?
You'll end up with loads that are practically the same!

Which ones have you got so far?

I only have 2.
Large USG, from the 80's. The green one, and a very green one at that!
A weiser gold box one. Nice to have, but awful print quality.
I don't think I will get another. (unless mine wears out)

They don't seem to do the one I would like. Which is the bright colours without the white border, and with the hex (red and black), and in the big size.
I've never had a bright one. I'd like to have a look, but I really do not like those borders!
Weird, I know, it's such a little thing...
But I just don't like them.

You could probably never get them all, cos you'd probably never get the 2 colour one from 69.

Dean

U.k

Hi Thanks for both of your replies, i have been collecting for over two years now before the start of my interest in Tarot Reading. I started off with a deck giving to me by a woman called Joan who does Tarot readings in my local Town, she was a keen user of the Thoth. Anyway hers was a Large deck that was quite old looking. Since then i have a number of different size decks by AGM and U.S.Games, but now i wanted to get hold of some more vintage decks like you lillie i'm not really keen on the white back borders, and also the newer decks.

Lillie

Doh!

I think you have a vintage one.

They are usually in 2 part boxes with a white OTO outer box and a 'gold' inner box.

If they have lost their box they can be distinguished by;
Plain borders on the fronts of the cards which vary in colour from off white to light blue.
I believe they are lacking the astrological symbols and that the names are written in blue.
I really should check, but my fingers are greasy cos I have just eaten crumpets (with marmite and cream cheese with pineapple... :D Mmmm.)

No white borders on the back,
Always the large size
Bad print quality

Some are missing the number 8 on the 8 of cups, but not all.

On one of mine it is like a small 'dot' of the shiny coating is missing (a bit like finger print size) The dull patch underneath has a sort of grid structure, like they are printed on something other than ordinary card. Some kind of Linen paper perhaps, cos I have an old map that is printed on linen. It is stiff like paper, but has the same sort of grid structure as the cards.

Looks like Joan may have given you a very nice set!

You never know, a box might turn up somewhere.
I once saw one on Ebay, it had the 'green' deck inside instead of it's original deck. That would have been perfect for yours!

I don't know why I find the white borders on the backs so off putting, but I really do.
I think they make the cross smaller, and give it less impact.

I think they only did that so they could put the copyright on the edge!

Dean

U.k

Hi Lillie i like your interesting recipe for crumpets ive never tried that one before, only with hot butter which is making my mouth water right now. Joan had the 8 printed on her 8 of cups card, and what was missing was the zero on the Fool card, i dont know if that was suppose to be like that or just faded off over time because of the cards age, anybody got that missing on their card. Her front border is in a very faint blue with no back borders, i wish i could see the box to those cards it would of told me alot more.

Lillie

Hi Dean, I wanted to answer you days ago, but ISP problems have kept me off the net.

I have a 0 on my fool card. So either yours is a previously unrecorded misprint, or just worn off with age.

The boxes are nice, really sturdy, but they are still nice cards even if you don't have a box.
All the box would have told you is wether it was Llewellyn or Weiser, and USA or Hong Kong.

The crumpets! Yeah, I love them like that. The cream cheese and pineapple is one thing, Cream cheese with pineapple in it when you buy. It is lovely, and ours comes from ASDA.

Dean

U.k

Hi Lillie how are you and your crumpets doing, i went to see Joan about these cards, just to see if she could give me some info on how she got them. She said that the cards were giving to her from her Longtime friend who lived in the U.S. so i think the cards have some links to Llewellyn. It would be great if the Zero on my Fool was printed like that i think that would be a Rare Print.

Kissa

Aure said:
I have two Finnish Thoth decks, probably not very common.

Pocket size
Date of deck: 1996
Language: Finnish
Publisher: Unio Mystica, Finland
printed in Belgium by A.G. Müller
Box design, it's colour etc. : Blue A.G. Müller box
Card Size: Pocket size (similar to English A.G.Müller versions)
Fronts, borders, their colour and decoration (if any), etc.: See the answer above.
Backs, whether they have white borders or not.: white borders
Extra cards, hexagram, OTO cards, magi etc. : Grey hexagram card, OTO cards, no extra magus.
LWB, contents: Has no LWB
ISBN: 3-905219-19-0

Regular size
Date of deck: 1986
Language: Finnish
Publisher: Unio Mystica, Finland
printed in Belgium by A.G. Müller
Box design, it's colour etc. : Blue A.G. Müller box
Card Size: Regular size (similar to English A.G.Müller versions)
Fronts, borders, their colour and decoration (if any), etc.: See the answer above.
Backs, whether they have white borders or not.: white borders
Extra cards, hexagram, OTO cards, magi etc. : Two extra magi cards, no hexagram or OTO cards.
LWB, contents: Has no LWB
ISBN: 3-905021-88-9

I can give more info if anyone is interested. These editions are published by a very small company but they are still available where I live.

1) Aure : I am very curious! I need your help !
I bought a pocket-sized deck from Suomalainen Kirjakauppa about 2 weeks ago, it carries the same ISBN as your deck of 1986, the same date as well
BUT has a multicolor hexagram card, the OTO card and NO extra Magus card. No lwb either btw.
So the cards are pocker-size, backs with a white border, iSBN is the one ending with 889.
Do you have any idea what's happening at Unio Mystica or AG Müller??

2) I would give an arm and a leg to get a Thoth with the three Magus and backs with NO white border. is there such a thing in the world? i don't care for the size... re: Thoth, SIZE DOESN'T MATTER :D :D

blessings,

kissa