Toothpick Reading

Fuzzmello

Thank you so much, Umbrae!

Well, this shows how right you are, Umbrae.

I've seen the post subject "Toothpick reading" for a couple of weeks and ignored it.

Because it looked like something I didn't know anything about!

I saw the unfamiliar and right away called upon Judgement to dismiss it sight-unseen.

I've been so hungry to read something like your thoughts on divination for so long... And of course, the method would be simple.

Thanks again, please post more.

Fuzz

P.S. Yes, I am practicing with toothpicks, trying to let go of this defensiveness and impulse to judge.

Sunburst

I tried it!

Hi Umbrae. I'm new here, so I spent most of the weekend on Aeclectic, and read a lot of your threads. I decided to try out your toothpick reading very early yesterday morning. Amazing!!!

I've never been the type to be calm enough to still my mind for long. However, I've taken up yoga over the last 8 weeks, and that has helped me to centre myself. So, I did my yoga routine, and then did the toothpick reading.

I can't find words to explain the experience. I've been involved in a complicated situation lately, and I got a visual about it that was, to say the least, disturbing. In fact, it scared the daylights out of me! However, I think I was meant to see this, and I believe that the awareness I gained could change my life.

So, thank you so very much Umbrae. Please post more! I look forward to reading more of your suggestions. :)

Sunburst

SherryZoned

I did a toothpick reading..After i got past that it looked like a squatting creature..It went very well..I never counted how many i used...I still dont know..but I will keep it up!

Magic Bean

Umbrae,

I think this is so cool! I'd like to see you start a study group for tarot newbies!

blue_fusion

Umbrae said:
Divination…the word means to communicate with the divine. It has little to do with fortune telling.

Many folks know how I am annoyed by folks who attempt to learn tarot by learning what others say about tarot; buying books, and locking their minds into the mindset and worldview of an author – and thereby limiting their growth.

Stunted – right out of the gate.

Umbrae said, “Don’t pick up that book, it’ll stunt your growth”. Much later books are great for research; but early on…

To learn divination, really learn – now that is the trick.

Folks have heard me say, “Learn to read between the cards”. And, “Listen to that which speaks without a voice”.

Often I have alluded to reading with toothpicks, and never elaborated. Most think I am wrapped a little tight. Hey – pull up a chair, let’s chat, I’ve just put a fresh log on the fire.

Here are the mechanics and the philosophy of reading toothpicks.

Take about – that many toothpicks. What kind? Round, or square. If they have the little cellophane deelies on them that’s fine. Oh – they have olives stuck on them? Eat the olives, easy on the Vermouth. I use anywhere from 10-30, and never count how many. I just use…that many.

Hold them in your hand. Feel the wood (important step)…I mean feel the wood. FEEL THE WOOD! Nothing should be in your mind except the feel of the wood.

Toss, drop, release, chuck – them onto a flat surface – covered or not.

Look at them and do not think. There is no meaning. They are neither Runes nor I Ching (they are toothpicks).

Look at them and - what is the first thing that comes into your head? One word? A picture? Give it voice!

Do it again. Give it voice!

After a few times you will see clumps of toothpicks…each clump telling you something different. You must give it voice. After a while you will develop a skill akin to a three card layout, with no deck.

For you septics, er I mean skeptics out there…this is about developing a skill set. In order for this to work, you must turn off your left-brain – there are no meanings to work with. No right or wrong; you either listen to your intuitive self or look like an idiot with toothpicks!

This is all about listening. It is a skill.

Later, you can begin to do readings with your lovely tarot deck, and do your reading with half of the cards face down. It’s about listening – not using someone else’s meanings.

N-Joy

i really like what you're saying here. :) however, i'd just like to comment that, these books, though not really involved in the actual learning, still facilitate in it, just like learning in school.

oldsoul

thank you for giving me this link umbrae... i will most definatley be trying this!
oldsoul

Silverlotus

Although I haven't tried this (no toothpicks), it seems to me that this is an exercise in letting your mind be free to tell you what it's been wanting to say but you've been ignoring. So, you could use anything. Pencil crayons, gift tags (since it's gift wrapping time), etc. I think the point of the exercise is to open yourself to really listening and understanding just what your mind and/or spirit has been jumping up and down to draw your attention to, but you've been to caught up in archetypes, symbols, and other images to notice. At least that's what it seems to me. :)

SlyR

I'm gonna join the others in applauding this technique. Well-said!

Umbrae

Whatever you do – do not think of green giraffes!

There is a reason we use toothpicks, they are made of wood.

In the phrase, “Feel the wood”, perhaps we should state – “whatever you do, don’t think about wood”.

It serves a purpose – it shuts the mind off from itself, and provides the focus of a simple, mundane, natural material…little pieces of wood.

Buy some…

:smoker:

Major Tom

Nice story. Both litteral and allegory.

Ever thought of a book? ;)