unmentionables with tarot

awookie

I just wondered if anyone had purchased a a deck in new/perfect condition and found they werent upto shape.

(if squeamish like moi dont read on)

I got one today with extra hair and the back of the book was grubby. cards bowed and cleaned up. yummy. not sure what to do other than my bin might enjoy it. everything looked clean apart from the added extras, odd.
I darent go through the rest of the cards.

nisaba

Did it still have its shrink-wrap plastic on it? If so, there's a fundamental problem. If not, then you could charitably assume that the retailers are Nice People, and allowed a customer to have a good look, something not a lot of retailers do.

In any case, LWBs don't hang around for long, and hair and stuff ... shake it off, then cleanse the deck by visualising it under an IMAGINARY waterfall, then smudging it. Good as new. Simple cleansing techniques DO work, you don't have to lose your investment.

thorhammer

I'd be inclined (not being squeamish) to just go through them with a clean damp cloth and wipe them thoroughly, then if necessary you might want to keep thme in a container with baking soda for a few weeks to de-stink it. A metaphysical-type "cleansing" might help you feel better about the deck, too.

What deck was it?

\m/ Kat

awookie

Right contacted seller.

answer "sorry the cards werent checked before shipment. They came from someone else and I expected it to be in good faith."

its the rune vision cards

http://www.abergwaun.com/gallery1/rune_vision/uruz.htm

she doesnt have any more of the cards. as much as I am grumbling I will have to sit and think about cleaning them up. I have to say the artwork is lovely uruz is the card that made me jump and say I want, I want!

I like sylvia Gainsfords art and decided to progress with a further deck after finding the above images on the link. I searched it out.

Netzach

I bought a deck on eBay . . . said to be in very good condition. When they arrived, the plain gold backs were COVERED in fingermarks, which I couldn't get off. I complained to the girl who had sold them to me and her reply was that well, they were cheap. Huh! In the end I think I sold them on to someone who wanted to make a collage with them.

awookie

I hope the collage wasnt of the seller with added velcro darts;)

Netzach

awookie said:
I hope the collage wasnt of the seller with added velcro darts;)

No, I don't think so! Fortunately she wasn't concerned with the backs of the cards . . . it was just the pictures on the front that she wanted and they were in fine condition.

awookie

maybe there was a reason for it then. If it goes on to become a collage then at least it is getting use out of it and making someone happy.*shrugs*

Cat*

Whenever I got decks or books in worse condition than they were offered, I have always immediately contacted the seller (I usually send them pictures of the damage). I've always gotten a partial refund without any fuss, even if the damage clearly occured during shipping due to inadequate wrapping by the seller. (This goes for various Amazon Marketplace sellers, I have no experience with Ebay myself.)

But since you sound as if you'd like to keep the deck, nisaba and thorhammer have good advice about cleaning the cards physically and "energetically."

SphinYote

Slightly OT from the original topic, but thanks for posting pictures of this deck...In the Tarot of the Old Path, I always found the eyes to be difficult and frightening....that quality doesn't seem nearly as intense in this deck, and I might consider keeping an eye out for it now.....I might have passed it by otherwise, given my reaction to her tarot deck.

To return to the original topic....nah, not really squeamish. Now if it looked like someone had done some sort of blood ritual with a deck, I might be a little squeamish, but if they go to that much effort to make a deck theirs, I doubt they'd be getting rid of it...I've done that to bond with my Haindl deck (I coincidentally got a papercut when I was working with them, so I just pressed my hand to the cards, I don't think I could deliberately cut myself), and I've occasionally "shared" things like drops of tea or a little bit of soil form a particular place I like being, or the occasional bit of spices that smell good to me...

I'd not give up that deck...the only way it would end up in someone else's hands is if I were to pass away and it were given away or sold after that.

Yote