Unusual uses for Tarot

SunChariot

I'm it again doing a bit or research again for an article I'm writing (and also I'm curious :grin:)...

What are the most unusual things you have done personally or heard of others doing with Tarot cards? ...including unusual reading methods and/or uses for the cards other than for divination.

Can't wait to hear.

Thanks everyone. :heart:

nisaba

I sometimes use whole decks in their boxes as paperweights or temporary bookmarks.

I plan on colour-photocopying all my Chariot cards one day, laminating them, and affixing them to my car as car-stickers. (I'll have to watch myself at red lights!)

I keep on saying that the heavily laminated new edition Sheridan-douglas can be used to chop vegetables, but to my shame I haven't actually trialled that out in my kitchen.

Now, SunChariot, I've given you my dark secrets - how about yours?

chrissydogz

anybody ever use tarot cards to tell you what to eat?.

i only assume that the 5 of wands would suggest that eating those chipotle boneless wings will cause an uproar in your digestive system0.o

and temperance wants you to order the honey garlic instead.

Le Fanu

SunChariot said:
What are the most unusual things you have done personally or heard of others doing with Tarot cards? ...including unusual reading methods and/or uses for the cards other than for divination.
I'm very conventional; the weirdest I get is using tarot cards for bookmarks, but the things I hear people doing with tarot cards here at AT sometimes beggar belief... There are weird threads popping up here all the time...

canid

Sometimes I let Dreyfuss (my horse) choose a card, but I have to use an already-old deck because he doesn't have any teeth because of starvation ie eating tree bark & he drools green slime.

MrAndrewJ

I write. I got a great job once based on three pieces of short fiction that I put together in a week.

One of my greatest gifts as a writer is the ability to think improvisationally - on my feet. Sometimes when working on a longer piece or a more serious piece, I know who I want a character to be for the duration of the story, but not how that character got there.

I do a past/present/future spread to inspire ideas.

Isn't that what the tarot does? It tells the important parts of a story. The sudden random yet very archetypical human experiences help me make the most of my improvisational process.

I also will do a Celtic Cross for myself about once a week as a means of meditating on my current situation. It offers a reminder of where I've been, where I want to go, and faults to watch out for. It also allows me to quiet my thoughts instead of poking around for new and exciting ideas. Plus I'll daily card draw as a general piece of good advice or an advisory to start each morning with. A "moment of zen", perhaps?

Baroli

I do believe Umbrae used the Tarot as a fishfinder and had success with it.

firefrost

I knew someone once elsewhere who used the cards to make a mobile.

Cerulean

I analyze films using tarot as a storyboard

That is it is already a contructed sequence of images and events and I deconstruct it. I look at the tarot I choose for images that remind me of certain attitudes or characters.

After picking three to nine cards, sometimes twelve, I will look at which cards I pick and jot notes.

Usually they are B movies, which are great for spotting iconic or cliche senes--

1. Oh-I-hate-you-so-much-we-got to-kiss-passionately (Lovers or Devil)

2. Noble regret (Emperor; King of Swords)

3. Tough but tender (King of Cups)

4. He or she is so amazing hot/fearsome, a musical sequence plays to express their awesome triumph (Chariot is a great card)

5. The speeding car with the awesome secret and minor character will crash and burn.
(Judgment, Tower)

Etc.....

That was just a generic and fun action movie match up...

Cerulean

Le Fanu

Oh I remembered a very classy one; Le pendu strung his Christmas Tree with cards from the glittering Visconti-Sforza.