Using one's full name

autumnsdaughter

So I've been working on developing my tarot business- in my head, at least ;) and one thing I have been wondering is whether or not I should put my full name on my business cards. I am not ashamed of my being a tarot reader, but at my other job and other aspects of my life, there are people who wouldn't understand, and frankly, if they knew I read tarot, it would make relations difficult.

Yet, I want to be genuine and earnest with my (future) clients, and I feel like putting my last name on my card is showing that I really am committed fully to tarot.

What are your varied experiences in this matter?

Also, a side question: Is it better to just put one's name, or is it better to have a name for one's business? I have a name in mind, but is that hokey? :D Gah, so many decisions, just for a silly little piece of cardboard.

Alpha-Omega

Many readers have a stage name. My first name is real but my last name that I use for tarot is not. Its normal to do that.

Grizabella

You could use your first name only unless it's so unique that only you has it. If you wanted you could use a nickname--again if it's not too unique to you. You could just use your business name. That would be okay. As long as you have your contact information on it and something the customer can identify you with, that's what counts.

The simpler the better. You don't have to call yourself a long name like "Certified Grand Master Tarot Consultant and Astrological Kaballah Fluent Counselor and Clairvoyant Psychic". Just put whatever name you choose, "Tarot Reader" if you want, and the phone number you can be reached at. To have the word Tarot, a name and the phone number on the card are, in my opinion, the most important things and the things that will stick the client's mind. Less is more, as they say. It has class and works better. For that matter, if you choose a business name, keep that very simple, too, or people won't remember it.

Baroli

Oh Heck!! I like Madame La Zanga my self :D

Some full names are just sound great or look great on a business card.

I just use my first name [size=+2]Barbara[/size]

I could use my last name only,.........but then someone might think I am

really Maj. Tom's Cat! :laugh:

Grizabella

I think Madame Barbara La Zanga-Baroli has a nice ring to it. Catchy, no? :p

Coming back to add that Barbara is an excellent name to have because it's so common. If people see a "Barbara" they're not going to be able to single you out as being "oh, that's the Barbara from the front desk here at work". Instead it might be "hmmm, we've got three or four Barbaras here". It's also a very beautiful name. I'd definitely seek out a Barbara to have a reading with.

My first name is not only boring, it's also unusual enough that people wouldn't have too much trouble figuring out it's me on a business card, and if I were to add in my last name----well, forget it! There would be no mistake. I'd never choose to have a Tarot reading from someone with either of my names anyway.

autumnsdaughter

Okay then... my first name is Britta, which is somewhat unusual, and people would probably know who I was- at least, within my neighborhood/workplace... so how would "Autumn's Daughter Tarot" sound on a business card? Would that be too long/forgettable/quaint?

LOL on the Madame La Zanga. I rather like that too! Eh, that image would be too much work- I'd end up strangling myself accidentally with my headscarf! :D

Grizabella

I think Autumn's Daughter is short enough, unique enough, and it conjures up a nice mental image. You could come up with a pretty graphic background for it. But the name Autumn by itself is very nice. Why not just use that as your "stage name"? It's not some Madame Bozoff type name, but it's memorable and pretty and simple.

Baroli

Grizabella said:
I think Madame Barbara La Zanga-Baroli has a nice ring to it. Catchy, no? :p

Hmmmm, kind of catchy,..........I think this may be my new identity for a new reading thread! :p

Crrrrosss my palm with silver and Madame Barbara LaZanga-Baroli, daughter of the ancient mystics, and servant to the dispicable one who tells only lies and his high priestess, will tell all. })

I like it!!

Moonbow

How about just 'Autumn'?

Mariana

Grizabella said:
My first name is not only boring
I know it's slightly off topic, but I just had to step in here. Griz, I've always thought you had a wonderful first name, it sounds like gentle silver bells to me.