Waite's Second Tarot Deck - Originals Discovered

Teheuti

I wonder what they have in mind in terms of making the images available.
I believe they say quite clearly that they will be publishing a book containing the images and commentary.

Debra

My curiosity about "making the images available to future researchers" is along these lines:

Will future researchers have access to whatever originals are not from the British Museum?

Will they have access to the original photographs, which I presume would have the greatest detail, corrected color, etc? If so, will access be free?

Will researchers be able to publish some of the images in their own essays, books, web pages? Would they have to pay a licensing fee to Tarot Professionals?

Etc.

Laura Borealis

Not all of them are by J. B. Trinick

OH... now this is the first I've heard this. All the previous info seemed to imply Trinick as the sole artist. Unless I missed something. This might explain why some materials came from the eBay sale, others from the British Museum, etc. Thanks for that tidbit, Teheuti.

Still curious about the FRC's claim!

nicky

I don't know if that description <<<quote me: Rosicrucian meditation plates>>> would be any more accurate as they weren't illustrating the story of Christian Rosenkrantz. They were images used in the rituals of a mystical Christian fellowship based on Rosicrucian inspired death and rebirth initiations and meant to represent stages of development and patterns of ascent and descent as depicted in the Christian occult Kabbalah (to use Waite's spelling).

How did I say that wrong Mary? Rosicrucian meditation plates sounds like what you are describing.

nicky

My curiosity about "making the images available to future researchers" is along these lines:

Will future researchers have access to whatever originals are not from the British Museum?

Will they have access to the original photographs, which I presume would have the greatest detail, corrected color, etc? If so, will access be free?

Will researchers be able to publish some of the images in their own essays, books, web pages? Would they have to pay a licensing fee to Tarot Professionals?

Etc.

That would sure bite if you donated to and bought the book and then couldn't use it in your own book. hahahhaha

graspee

That would sure bite if you donated to and bought the book and then couldn't use it in your own book. hahahhaha

Then obviously you would start a web page of your own asking for donations to finance your own book...

Teheuti

How did I say that wrong Mary? Rosicrucian meditation plates sounds like what you are describing.
If I just heard that phrase I would assume they were images specifically illustrating the life and death of Christian Rosenkreuz rather than something based on Kabbalah.

Teheuti

Licensing fees have to be paid to the copyright holders. You also have to pay the museum for the right to use their high-quality photographs. Neither a publisher nor author who uses someone else's work owns the rights to those works unless the copyright itself is licensed to that person, which is pretty rare in the case of illustrations in a book.

You would have to track down all the rights-holders for yourself and negotiate your own fees with them. I doubt if a public museum could give an author/publisher all rights to a work that they own.

nicky

Then obviously you would start a web page of your own asking for donations to finance your own book...

Or maybe I can apply for a Tarot Bailout - will keep that in mind for the future...

kwaw

OH... now this is the first I've heard this. All the previous info seemed to imply Trinick as the sole artist. Unless I missed something.

There are a couple by Wilfred Pippet : According to Tali's latest update they are images of Da'ath and of the Emperor, both of which will be included in the book. Interesting there is an image of Da'ath - presumable that means there are 33 images of the paths.